Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,325 times

Advertisements

Housewives of Atlanta
Love and Hip Hop Hollywood
Love and Hip Hop Atlanta
Love and Hip Hop New York
Reality Television Shows

I wonder behind closed doors what people feel regarding the images portrayed on such programs?

Do you feel these shows promote a negative, low class image of African American men and women? Do you feel these images further perpetuate negative images of minorities that extend to everyday interactions with non-minorities and/or minorities of other cultures? Is this the new black face, buffoonery for the masses to laugh as the barbaric, ignorant, single mother stereotypical "ghetto" behavior?
Is this designed to destroy the desire of positive minority images? Your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,652 times
I don't watch any of those shows, so I can't say. But I've seen too some negative stereotypes on other shows. Racism seems to be on the increase.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Housewives of Atlanta
Love and Hip Hop Atlanta
Reality Television Shows

I wonder behind closed doors what people feel regarding the images portrayed on such programs?

Do you feel these shows promote a negative, low class image of African American men and women? Do you feel these images further perpetuate negative images of minorities that extend to everyday interactions with non-minorities and/or minorities of other cultures? Is this the new black face, buffoonery for the masses to laugh as the barbaric, ignorant, single mother stereotypical "ghetto" behavior?
Is this designed to destroy the desire of positive minority images? Your thoughts please.
Frankly, people of any color who appear on reality shows that don't involve some type of talent competition all come off like a bunch of bozos.

This is the pattern I have observed on dramas in the last 20 years. They don't choose black people to play the male and female leads on any mixed race shows so to make up for it (in their minds), they give them the "character in charge" smaller roles. They are the head of the police department, the director of the FBI, the school principal, the President, the judge, the high ranking military officer, the warden, etc..

I don't watch sitcoms so I don't have any observations for those shows.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I don't watch any of those shows, so I can't say. But I've seen too some negative stereotypes on other shows. Racism seems to be on the increase.
Same here. Yes, I agree!

Quote:
Housewives of Atlanta
Love and Hip Hop Atlanta
Reality Television Shows

I've only seen the commercials for them, so I can't speak to content. I assume a "yes" answer--- just like with dumb shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,769 times
these shows wouldnt exist if there wasnt a long line of women all too eager to sign up

the people on these shows are who they are, generally untalented nobodies looking for fame

that basketball wives one really rubs me the wrong way because these are generally some industry groupies who got ran thru by athlete(s)

wives? lol

Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is the pattern I have observed on dramas in the last 20 years. They don't choose black people to play the male and female leads on any mixed race shows so to make up for it (in their minds), they give them the "character in charge" smaller roles. They are the head of the police department, the director of the FBI, the school principal, the President, the judge, the high ranking military officer, the warden, etc..
Scandal?
How to Get Away with Murder?
NCIS LA?
Criminal Minds?
Resurrection?
Psych?
Law & Order?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,769 times
a lil offshoot

@LauraC. If you happen to watch the flash, id like to know if you have observed anything interesting on there and if so what are your thoughts..if any?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:01 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Do you feel these shows promote a negative, low class image of African American men and women? Do you feel these images further perpetuate negative images of minorities that extend to everyday interactions with non-minorities and/or minorities of other cultures? I
Probably. But I've never watched any of those shows, nor do I have any desire to do so. And I'm not convinced that the largest part of the TV audience watches them either. That's niche market if I ever saw one. And definitely lowest common denominator.

TV still has room for improvement, but most TV show's portrayals of minorities has improved greatly over the past 10 years. It's a very rare TV show these days where minorities are not well represented. Just off the top of my head ...

LOST had a wide array of characters from various ethnic backgrounds, both American and otherwise. And there was the Season 1 episode, which aired during the Iraq War, where an Iraqi character was torturing a white redneck, and the audience's sympathy was very much with the Iraqi.

THE WALKING DEAD actually has an Asian cast member who is not a kung fu killer, scientist, or computer nerd. Imagine that! And a black woman bad ass. Both of these characters are fan faves.

AGENTS OF SHIELD, FLASH, and ARROW (TV's top "super hero" shows) all have a wide representation of not only minorities, but mixed race relationships. This is so common on TV now that it's really no longer an issue. No one cares (and rightly so). That's a huge step forward from when I was a kid and the Jefferson's weird white neighbor had a black wife, and it was considered a controversial issue.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
AGENTS OF SHIELD, FLASH, and ARROW (TV's top "super hero" shows) all have a wide representation of not only minorities, but mixed race relationships. This is so common on TV now that it's really no longer an issue. No one cares (and rightly so). That's a huge step forward from when I was a kid and the Jefferson's weird white neighbor had a black wife, and it was considered a controversial issue.
TV shows that appeal to viewers under the age of 35 (which includes the entire CW lineup) tend to be written to be very "race blind". The young actors are almost universally handsome or beautiful and "race" is never mentioned. It is not a consideration in status, romance, in either positive or negative ways.

Sleepy Hollow has to mention race as one character is from the 18th century, but other than the infrequent historical remark, it is largely "race blind".

The first TV show to attempt to be "race blind" was I Spy (nearly 50 years ago).

I think it is a little disturbing that this year's breakout SITCOM is 'blackish, about a father attempting to de-whiten his family. I've only seen the pilot, and there is certainly nothing offensive in the show, but I would have thought that we had evolved a little more.

Shonda Rhomes has certainly made her mark in creating strong black femal characters for TV.

But in answer to the ORIGINAL POST the shows mentioned do certainly try and make racial stereotypes into entertainment.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
Those reality shows are a bane to society. Modern day minstrel shows and yet we watch. We have to move on beyond tyler Perry. Where is the high brow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV