Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

Last nights show was kinda boring. It answered a few questions, but the whole "save the children" bit was really over the top. Everything that was supposed to be TA DA, revealing, were yeah I saw that coming. Only three episodes left in this season (or for this series).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Last nights show was kinda boring. It answered a few questions, but the whole "save the children" bit was really over the top. Everything that was supposed to be TA DA, revealing, were yeah I saw that coming. Only three episodes left in this season (or for this series).
Yeah I was kinda bored as well.

I was upset at Miles while Charlie is becoming a bit less annoying.

The backstory for..er..the mom (I want to call her Juliet still) was OK but not great.

After watching an episode of Walking Dead, I get a bit miffed that Revolution should have gone a bit more that route.

I mean the show was a bit dumbed down to begin with, but now I'm having issues with a number of characters and not just Charlie.

Plus, now that some of the mystery is subsiding, the show has to rely on it's characters and plot, and I don't think it's quite there yet.

I'll still watch, but I hope some changes are made in how heavy handed and irrational (not in a good way) the story telling is.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I wonder, since Charlie now has the brand on her, if this will lead to some simply never trusting her.

I did like the episode, dangling some big questions. Miles sense of guilt is showing. And the light house coming on, someone's going to have to fess up soon.

The small society of children was fascinating. And it felt very real.

From what I've seen, the ratings are good, and this gives the show a good chance for more. I wish it was not post apoc light, but realistically, your not going to see something like Falling Skies in ABC... (it would be 'too dark', 'too much of a downer') Revolution has not avoided the 'bad' stuff, but just made it part of the landscape AS those who are used to it being that way would see it.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wonder, since Charlie now has the brand on her, if this will lead to some simply never trusting her.

I did like the episode, dangling some big questions. Miles sense of guilt is showing. And the light house coming on, someone's going to have to fess up soon.

The small society of children was fascinating. And it felt very real.

From what I've seen, the ratings are good, and this gives the show a good chance for more. I wish it was not post apoc light, but realistically, your not going to see something like Falling Skies in ABC... (it would be 'too dark', 'too much of a downer') Revolution has not avoided the 'bad' stuff, but just made it part of the landscape AS those who are used to it being that way would see it.

I disagree at the bolded part. You're right that NBC would never portray something as dark as Falling Skies or Walking Dead, but the children part didn't feel real at all, to me. (In fact Prime Suspect, which I loved, was a bit too dark/serious and was canceled). They seemed either too savy, or not wild enough. I don't recall how long ago their parents were killed.

The fact is, is that Revolution is a network show and I have to "buy" into the way the story is told. Plus I find myself having to make excuses for the characters and story, when I shouldn't have to, but whatever.

I didn't like the fact that Miles' first response was to destroy the pendant. Like, duh, Aaron was going to hand it over. Miles has to know that he and his merry band will have to destroy the militia. That's where I think all of this is headed.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I disagree at the bolded part. You're right that NBC would never portray something as dark as Falling Skies or Walking Dead, but the children part didn't feel real at all, to me. (In fact Prime Suspect, which I loved, was a bit too dark/serious and was canceled). They seemed either too savy, or not wild enough. I don't recall how long ago their parents were killed.

The fact is, is that Revolution is a network show and I have to "buy" into the way the story is told. Plus I find myself having to make excuses for the characters and story, when I shouldn't have to, but whatever.

I didn't like the fact that Miles' first response was to destroy the pendant. Like, duh, Aaron was going to hand it over. Miles has to know that he and his merry band will have to destroy the militia. That's where I think all of this is headed.
I'm not sure if they said, but it was implied the older ones had been much younger. If you watch the behavior, the 'old world' is much more evident of an inflence in the older kids, but the really small ones seem more like the ones lost on an island from their reaction to adults. The older kids grew up fast. The younger ones grew up different. We didn't see much of them, and I don't think they intended them to be much of a focus, but I think the more realistic 'dark' image would be too much for the show (cowards that they are).

I'd really like to see something like this on AMC or TNT like the others. They wouldn't be so cleaned up or nice. Charley wouldn't have much innocence left. They village might well look the same, but they wouldn't be so innocent about how they reacted. What I love about Falling Skies is you have child soldiers and nobody blinks because in their world you would have. Why not in this one?

I take it that Miles sees his own picture. Whatever turning on the lights dream others may have, he's firmly grounded in the present. He'd rather destroy it and make it impossible for the militia to use it than take the chance. Of course he knows that in the end they'll have to destroy the militia, but they are waaayyy far from that point and better not to give him anything which could be an advantage.

I did think he expected it handed over. In his mind he's commander of their little merry band. Just as the new head of the militia expects obedience, he does too. I wonder when we find out just what it was that sent him away as an exile from his band.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I have watched 5 or 6 (?) episodes now. Wow this is a terrible show. The characters, especially Charly, are so lame. Her wildly inconsistent behavior is completely implausible, even if she is a teenager. Time after time, she shows stupidity and gets out of ridiculous jam through some convoluted recovery. Charly's facial expressions are repetitious (looks like she is looking at a cuddly kitten) yet completely at odds with her occasional Katniss-like toughness.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
We missed episode 6 b/c of Sandy, but we never watched episode 7 and realized we didn't miss it. So we decided to be done watching it. It's just too slow moving and I for one am tired of the way networks drag story lines along instead of writing well enough that you go through several in a season.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
We missed episode 6 b/c of Sandy, but we never watched episode 7 and realized we didn't miss it. So we decided to be done watching it. It's just too slow moving and I for one am tired of the way networks drag story lines along instead of writing well enough that you go through several in a season.
Ditto here. I only wish I had done the same with LOST during the first season.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Tonight wasn't bad. I appreciate the character development. And Charlie wasn't as annoying as normal.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 AM

I've started reading the books this is based on, and its interesting that they mention the 'California Heathens'. The first books seem to be set in Oregon, but there is a 'Heathan' kingdom....

I liked the episode. It was a good demonstration of how in that world the most ruthless of the ruthless rule.

Not good news for the brother or his mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV