Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times

Advertisements

I read that Kevin Spacey is starring in a re-make of the BBC award winning political drama "House of Cards".
The pilot is to be directed by that esteemed director David Fincher. If the remake is anywhere near the quality of the original it will be a huge hit. The plot is of course based on Shakespeares Richard III.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Default House of Cards - coming to Netflix Feb. 1

House of Cards is a Netflix original series produced & directed by David Fincher, starring Kevin Spacey. All 13 episodes will be available on Netflix starting tomorrow. I don't know a lot about it except that it's a political thriller & an adaptation of a 1990s British miniseries. The previews look interesting, if a bit slow moving (not necessarily a bad thing IMO). Anyone else going to be watching?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I certainly will. I adore Kevin Spacey.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
It's a remake of the BBC political thriller House of Cards starring the late Ian Richardson. The show was produced in 1990 and is recognised as one of the greatest ever programmes produced by the BBC.

If it's as good as the UK original then you are in for a treat.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Netflix is taking a chance with the series because it may attract "bingers" who sign up, watch all thirteen epis, and then cancel. One of the articles mentions it might be wise to watch one at a time because it is slow moving. It will take restraint to watch one epi at a time because Saturday night viewing is pretty sparse with the exception of Graham Norton.

Review:
http://tv.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/art...gewanted=print

Trailer:
‘House of Cards,’ set in DC and filmed in Baltimore, premieres Friday on Netflix - The TV Column - The Washington Post
Clip:
Netflix's original series lineup also includes "Lilyhammer" (already picked up for a second season), an upcoming new season of the canceled TV show "Arrested Development," a new series from comic Ricky Gervais, one from horror king Eli Roth, and another from "Weeds" creator Jenji Kohan.
House of Cards: Netflix's $100 million bet on must-see TV - Feb. 1, 2013

Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

On the other hand, someone might sign up for the 30-day free trial to view the series then find out they really like Netflix and stay with them. For 8 bucks a month, you can't beat it. I love Netflix. I've watched movies I never would have thought of renting.

Will be watching House of Cards tonight.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
On the other hand, someone might sign up for the 30-day free trial to view the series then find out they really like Netflix and stay with them. For 8 bucks a month, you can't beat it. I love Netflix. I've watched movies I never would have thought of renting.

Will be watching House of Cards tonight.
Good point.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
I am going to watch HoC this weekend, too.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 AM

Just finished watching Episode 2. I'm impressed.

Smart of Netflix to release all 13 episodes of the first season, simultaneously. Gives us "all or nothing" junkies something to get lost in for a while. I read Netflix ordered 26 episodes so there will be a second season for this political drama. Yahoo!!!! Kevin Spacey is great in this. Michael Kelly is also in the cast. That would explain why he's no longer on Person of Interest. Robin Wright, as Claire (Kevin's wife) is absolutely ruthless. A female in Washington DC who is out to succeed, no matter who she has to step on or cast aside to get it.

So far, the best line from Episode 2 . . . from Kevin as he's leaving the building. He's told there was someone raising a ruckus outside, trying to get into the building. He walks over to the man who has been restrained and sitting on the ground, stoops down and tells him that no one is listening, no one cares about him and why doesn't he just let "these men" take him home. I imagine the man represents the American People and Kevin was conveying a message from our leaders in Washington.

I'm loving this series. It's almost a shame the Super Bowl will interrupt my viewing on Sunday. (kidding)

If you have Netflix, watch this show! You won't be disappointed.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just finished watching Episode 2. I'm impressed.

Smart of Netflix to release all 13 episodes of the first season, simultaneously. Gives us "all or nothing" junkies something to get lost in for a while. I read Netflix ordered 26 episodes so there will be a second season for this political drama. Yahoo!!!! Kevin Spacey is great in this. Michael Kelly is also in the cast. That would explain why he's no longer on Person of Interest. Robin Wright, as Claire (Kevin's wife) is absolutely ruthless. A female in Washington DC who is out to succeed, no matter who she has to step on or cast aside to get it.

So far, the best line from Episode 2 . . . from Kevin as he's leaving the building. He's told there was someone raising a ruckus outside, trying to get into the building. He walks over to the man who has been restrained and sitting on the ground, stoops down and tells him that no one is listening, no one cares about him and why doesn't he just let "these men" take him home. I imagine the man represents the American People and Kevin was conveying a message from our leaders in Washington.

I'm loving this series. It's almost a shame the Super Bowl will interrupt my viewing on Sunday. (kidding)

If you have Netflix, watch this show! You won't be disappointed.
OK I'll give it a go just from this post. I'm home alone all weekend so that's what I'll watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV