Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who’s your favorite Big Bang Theory character?
Leonard Hofstadter, Ph.D 3 5.88%
Sheldon Cooper, B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D, Sc.D 23 45.10%
Penny 7 13.73%
Raj Koothrappali, Ph.D 3 5.88%
Howard Wolowitz, M.Eng. 2 3.92%
Bernadette Rostenkowski-Wolowitz, Ph.D 0 0%
Amy Farrah Fowler, Ph.D 3 5.88%
I don’t have a favorite. 9 17.65%
I don’t watch the show. 1 1.96%
I don’t care. Really, I don’t. 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Howard! My absolute favorite. Sleazy but lovable.
I admit I thought Howard was funnier when he was sleazy. Which is kind of a shame, since I liked seeing him change... but now he's not as funny as he used to be.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
For years I avoided this show given many factors. In some ways for me it was very painful to watch as I KNOW, have attended classes, have WORKED with real people who are like each character. I think I even had a date with one of them.

To all of my genius friends' credit, they all started college after at least age 16 so they had a bit more exposure to ordinary people and the real world before narrowing their paths and interests in college and advanced training. Nonetheless, the missing social and emotional maturity, let alone inability to relate to those with a lower I.Q., are very real issues interacting with such gifted scientists. Worse yet, for me personally, well-meaning relatives on both sides decided to try to match me with one of the brightest of the bright. I've got advanced degrees too, but wow - where to even start to explain that frozen space in time.................. that I think most people would call "a date."
What a disaster! Perhaps there was too much pressure from our respective families, or I wasn't bright enough or we just didn't have the biochemistry together.... I know I never wanted to repeat that one time experience.

Another of these genius scientists use to come to my house to use MY BOOKS to study. It may be I didn't understand complicated physics enough to understand if those were attempts from this person to become "closer" to me.

Knowing so much truth about these brilliant people makes me appreciate how the show creates an environment where the charcters at least have friends with whom to have lunch or dinner, let alone watch Startrek or share other activities. That doesn't always happen in the real world when one is a Genius. Co-workers do interact some, but these brilliant scientists often struggle as the show portrays, given their lack of understanding of social norms and even how to make friends. Thank goodness for normal people who try to befriend the geniuses.

I do hope me sharing these 100% real experiences has made at least one person laugh. The show makes me laugh at this point in my life. After seeing a couple of BBT episodes I now try not to miss any.

My current favorite is Leonard.

MSR
I have befriended and am related to people like the characters, also working in the same fields. However, all of the ones that I know in real life have worse social skills than the ones on TBBT. These type of science/math fields do tend to attract people who may not have any outright autistic spectrum disorder, but what some psychologists call a "dusting" of autism. They tend to have difficulty recognizing the social cues of others. The ones that I know have relatively mild tendencies and can function socially, have married and have children, but their perceptive skills are off. This sometimes results in a lack of empathy. They are not easy to live with. The Big Bang characters are caricatures based on real personalities.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I like Leslie Winkle too. I would like to see her again.

Like a lot of us here, I knew and still know characters like these. I was married to a Howard Wolowitz who is still a Howard Wolowitz only he wasn't as smooth with the ladies. LOL! But sometimes some of the scenes they show the way Howard interacts with his mom and Bernadette gives me a case of deja vu. My ex never grew out of it and I pity his second wife who is not a strong woman like Bernadette.

The Sheldon's I knew were not as extreme but confused by social situations. I did know quite a few Leonards. No Raj's though.

I also knew some of their female counterparts who were a bit lost in social situations as well. That's why I am interested in seeing how Raj's Lucy character develops. So far, Bernadette and Penny are more normal in that area. While Amy Farah Fowler is not, she is really trying to learn under their tutelage. I wonder if they will take Lucy under their wings and teach her. It could become very interesting.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Having already said that Sheldon is my favorite, I want to add that Priya is my least favorite recurring character. She just gets on my last nerve.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I;m in love with Amy and watch the show every week so I can see her. My favorite character on the show

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 PM

250 posts, read 383,598 times
Just started watching the show but I like penny simply because shes hott!! LOL

Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,621 times
I want to add that after watching the last four eposides last night on CBS online, I don't care for where they are taking Penny's character. Her sweetness towards and toleranance of Leonard are beginning to lessen quite a bit. As in she seems to be doggin', (demeaning,) him more often now. That's just not our sweet Penny. We love her because she is generally kind-hearted and a bit goofy herself. I hope they don't head more in the snotty Penny direction.

I also noticed, and was happy about, the fact that Leonard is starting to loose his whinny disposition. I'm liking him more now.

By the way to the poster(s) who wanted to see more of Amy Farrah Fowler and the smoking monkey: They had a snippet of the two of them in one of the recent shows but she will no longer be working on that project because she threw the monkey's poop back at him. Ha ha but, oh, drats.

Did anyone see the recent show where Howard and Raj made dolls of themselves? Funny, especially the doll Howard made for himself. The first doll was funny too with that huge nose.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Sheldon's mom, hands down.
"A cat can have kittens in the oven but that don't make them biscuits."
the writing for her character is priceless.

I crack up every time she's on - I'll watch reruns over and over if I know she's in them.
It's interesting how many of these actors were in Roseanne..

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Sheldon's mom, hands down.
"A cat can have kittens in the oven but that don't make them biscuits."
the writing for her character is priceless.

I crack up every time she's on - I'll watch reruns over and over if I know she's in them.
It's interesting how many of these actors were in Roseanne..
I love Sheldon's mom too but the writer's didn't make that expression up for her. I can remember hearing that when I was a kid and I am 67 years old.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I have befriended and am related to people like the characters, also working in the same fields. However, all of the ones that I know in real life have worse social skills than the ones on TBBT. These type of science/math fields do tend to attract people who may not have any outright autistic spectrum disorder, but what some psychologists call a "dusting" of autism. They tend to have difficulty recognizing the social cues of others. The ones that I know have relatively mild tendencies and can function socially, have married and have children, but their perceptive skills are off. This sometimes results in a lack of empathy. They are not easy to live with. The Big Bang characters are caricatures based on real personalities.
Amen - I have a family member who is on the Aspergers spectrum. It was quite a relief to us all (including her) when it was identified. I love her dearly and have just embraced who she is and how she is. No sense ever getting offended or frustrated. Just need to be mindful around her and make sure and translate when needed. She has no "territory" sense like most of us do. She'll stand way too close and people constantly adjust, but she keeps moving towards them anyway, and they keep moving back. It's actually kind of funny. They could do a bit on that for TBBT. And subtle social clues may as well be written in martian. She just looks confused when a social faux pas is pointed out -- but it's so innocent and never malevolent. So her sweetness overcomes the transgression. That's why I do love Sheldon. He's endearing to those of us who have Aspies in our lives. I think they have done wonders for them by featuring him that way and showing the world that many of them are really highly intelligent. I just always thought that my family member was maybe lying on her side when the gifts were handed out on that great big assembly line in the sky. Maybe all the intelligence drifted into one place in her brain and missed the social interaction section. I tell you one thing, if I ever have a question for which I cannot find the answer, a quick phone call to her will produce it - she just knows stuff. She could start her own research firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV