Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times

Advertisements

Another thing I don't understand is why so many lottery winners start businesses. They were awful with money to begin with, but now all of a sudden they are money savvy entrepreneurs? Not to mention that over 2/3 of new businesses go under within five years. And the businesses they tend to start up are usually very questionable, if not downright foolish. Why take on that kind of unneccesary risk? Invest in low-cost, conservative financial instruments, heck even t-bills, and live comfortably off the returns. Easy-peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
In most situations you can form a trust and have the trust claim the ticket. Have an attorney represent the trust.
I'm foggy on whether and if any info about trustees can be made public.

There are several books and articles about how to be smart about claiming MEGA-jackpots. I'm surprised more people don't follow that advice. Oh well. I'm a researcher by trade so maybe that's why I've got a detailed, informed plan with advice from several sources -- on the one in a gazillion chance I'll win. (NOT there there may not be some flaws in it. But there's where waiting and being patient can come in, and having a team for VARIOUS opinions. ONE lawyer or CPA won't know all there is to know about what might be best.)

I personally think people are STUPID to claim the prize right away. Sure they might be 'afraid' they'd lose the ticket. But really what are the chances of that? Put it some where, and unless you FORGET where you put something worth 100 million dollars -- it will still be there two months later when you finally contact lottery officials. (In that two months time you can still have validated the ticket, and gotten your team together. You just haven't gone to the lottery office yet to CLAIM the prize.) Most winners are just ignorant about how to protect themselves -- and like I said THE INFORMATION IS OUT THERE.

It AMAZES ME that people who haven't had millions for 30 years, can't wait another 3 months to let the attention die down and get their act together. Sure I SUPPOSE you COULD have a heart attack in that time....but the chances of that aren't that great either. The SOONEST I'd claim the prize would be a month later.

Quote:
Another thing I don't understand is why so many lottery winners start businesses. They were awful with money to begin with, but now all of a sudden they are money savvy entrepreneurs? Not to mention that over 2/3 of new businesses go under within five years. And the businesses they tend to start up are usually very questionable, if not downright foolish. Why take on that kind of unneccesary risk? Invest in low-cost, conservative financial instruments, heck even t-bills, and live comfortably off the returns. Easy-peasy.
AMEN! Because people are gullible and ignorant (just uninformed).....and some are just plain stupid.

Last edited by selhars; 03-30-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 567 times
Question Why?

Why do southern states never win on a quick pick like Louisiana and why is it that when a winning number is played they pick another set after stalling on revealing the winning number

Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
One of my favorite stories was the one of the 2 sisters who lived next door to each other. They both had families and seemed completely normal. And happy.

There was also the one of the young woman who was coaching figure skating. She may have also been the same person who lived in Colorado and opened up a restaurant in the mountains. She seemed pretty level-headed. I always wondered if the restaurant succeeded.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post

Good point !

A guy from Florida said when he won the lottery his friends urged him into raising race horses because he liked to watch horse racing.

He declined.

He echoed what you said. He said.............." the day after you win the lottery you are a whole lot richer than the day before , but not one bit smarter "

You nailed it !

Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
One of the women who was on that lottery winner show came to my wife's wake last month.

Her and her husband drove 20 miles to express their sympathy and the temp was -20 that night.

A wonderful person before winning................a wonderful person after winning.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
One of the women who was on that lottery winner show came to my wife's wake last month.

Her and her husband drove 20 miles to express their sympathy and the temp was -20 that night.

A wonderful person before winning................a wonderful person after winning.

People don't change when they hit the lottery or when they come into a substantial amount of money in some way. It only amplifies who they actually are. A wonderful person before will be a wonderful person after. A nasty person before? Nasty person after. Idiot before? Idiot after.

Winning or coming into a huge windfall also shows who your true friends are. Who is going to ask you for money and then get mad when you don't give in to all their requests. Who is going to come out of the woodwork after you haven't seen them in years? What relatives are going to demand money because "we're family", etc?

It changes EVERYTHING overnight. Even if you try to live a regular life, things change and people show their true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV