Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 PM

23,646 posts, read 12,553,459 times

Advertisements

'Walking Dead' Creator Sues AMC Over Profits - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I hope the Deadworld creators got something from the WD comic creators. Such a travesty.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love Walking Dead. Never read the comics.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
He got a bad deal and from the article AMC basically is reporting a fictious "loss" so there's no profits to share. Pretty underhanded, but he should've had proper contractual review on his side before entering the deal.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
He got a bad deal and from the article AMC basically is reporting a fictious "loss" so there's no profits to share. Pretty underhanded, but he should've had proper contractual review on his side before entering the deal.
It is underhanded, but it's very typical film industry behavior. "Officially," Return of the Jedi (one of the most successful movies in history) has never turned a profit. Why? Because when it does, the cast starts getting more money. So the accountants make sure it is never officially profitable.

The older I get, the more I think that Shakespeare's command to "kill all the lawyers" may have been the wisest thing he ever wrote.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It is underhanded, but it's very typical film industry behavior. "Officially," Return of the Jedi (one of the most successful movies in history) has never turned a profit. Why? Because when it does, the cast starts getting more money. So the accountants make sure it is never officially profitable.

The older I get, the more I think that Shakespeare's command to "kill all the lawyers" may have been the wisest thing he ever wrote.
And I think this is an issue any time a show is aired on the parent network of it's creator. Im sure ABC Studios does the same thing to its shows that air on ABC (as an example).

Right or wrong I wonder if it is an accepted practice that Darabont is unhappy with now that Walking Dead is a smash.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Eh. Doesnt surprise me. I believe it was the guy who created Sons of Anarchy who had some choice words for AMC in regards to how they do business. Either way I do nit consider Darabont to be the creator rather Kirkman is. And from earlier comments by the latter he is pretty much an outsider looking in as well.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Right or wrong I wonder if it is an accepted practice that Darabont is unhappy with now that Walking Dead is a smash.
It is very wrong. But it's also legal. And we wonder why people hate lawyers.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Either way I do nit consider Darabont to be the creator rather Kirkman is. And from earlier comments by the latter he is pretty much an outsider looking in as well.
Kirkman created the comic. Darabont adapted for the screen. He created the TV show. He has a right to be miffed about the way he was treated by AMC.

And yes, I do remember Sutter coming to his defense. The story was supposedly that Darabont, cast, and crew created this mega-hit for AMC that ruled in the ratings during their first season. Critics loved it. Audiences loved it. For season 2, AMC demanded that cast and crew produce more episodes in a shorter amount of time for less money, because they were investing more in Mad Men. Darabont stood up for his cast and crew and told AMC he wouldn't do it. So AMC fired him and hired someone who would.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
Does Darabont have anything to do with the show now? Does he still produce it or write any episodes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV