Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,128,574 times

Advertisements

The story lines are over the top, could the acting scenes in the hotel with the FBI be any more lame?

Scenes with Justin and Veronica crack me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 PM

8,080 posts, read 4,757,816 times
I was seriously considering skipping the show the other night, since the lack of plot movement has been frustrating me. Luckily they're getting closer to the mid-season finale, so at least there will be a minimal amount of plot movement. The previews of the next episode(s) looked promising, but then I've been fooled before. They typically throw all the wackiest plot twists into the episodes in and around finale episodes (mid-season and season-ending), with a lot of filler stuff (and repetition) in between. They used to have twisty plot points all during the season rather than just at the beginning and end of seasons, but I guess they've burned through too much story.

The stuff with the FBI guy and the Three R's is the worst kind of storytelling. You have three recurring characters no one really cares about being asked to drive a scene with a new, one-note character even less liked. These are not the characters people tune in to see. The guy playing Rocky seemed totally lost, and the guy playing Roderick seemed to be looking off set at cue cards or a TelePrompTer or something. They write RK as if we're supposed to be in love with his antics, but again, why are we supposed to care about this guy? I know that eventually the FBI guy's investigation will impact upon characters we do like/know, but having so much screen time devoted to these recurring characters violates the common-held belief that you put your favorite characters on to drive story, and create recurring characters only to interact with the principals. While the Three R's and the FBI guy are eating up screen time, we have yet to see Hanna deal with Derek or the police come to arrest the Cryers and/or Harringtons (two plots set up in the previous season's cliffhanger). Katheryn is reduced to just making phone calls. Candace is sequestered in Charles's house, not interacting with any of the rest of the cast except (again) by phone. The more "imbedded" supporting characters seem to have been pushed aside in favor of this whole bunch at the hotel; Mitch is MIA, as is Derek (again, they should not have put that plot with Hanna aside like that) and I can't imagine Madison will continue to put up with the insanities Jeffery's family brings individually and as a group.

Also kind of...odd: Charles supposedly has two young children. Are they keeping them locked in a closet somewhere? A newly-elected President would be photographed with those kids all the time for PR purposes. And I do not think Candace has even referred to having met them. I don't think Charles has even said their names. Obviously they need not cast them in important roles, but you would think they would drop an occasional line about Candace and/or Charles interacting with the kids.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I was seriously considering skipping the show the other night, since the lack of plot movement has been frustrating me. Luckily they're getting closer to the mid-season finale, so at least there will be a minimal amount of plot movement. The previews of the next episode(s) looked promising, but then I've been fooled before. They typically throw all the wackiest plot twists into the episodes in and around finale episodes (mid-season and season-ending), with a lot of filler stuff (and repetition) in between. They used to have twisty plot points all during the season rather than just at the beginning and end of seasons, but I guess they've burned through too much story.

The stuff with the FBI guy and the Three R's is the worst kind of storytelling. You have three recurring characters no one really cares about being asked to drive a scene with a new, one-note character even less liked. These are not the characters people tune in to see. The guy playing Rocky seemed totally lost, and the guy playing Roderick seemed to be looking off set at cue cards or a TelePrompTer or something. They write RK as if we're supposed to be in love with his antics, but again, why are we supposed to care about this guy? I know that eventually the FBI guy's investigation will impact upon characters we do like/know, but having so much screen time devoted to these recurring characters violates the common-held belief that you put your favorite characters on to drive story, and create recurring characters only to interact with the principals. While the Three R's and the FBI guy are eating up screen time, we have yet to see Hanna deal with Derek or the police come to arrest the Cryers and/or Harringtons (two plots set up in the previous season's cliffhanger). Katheryn is reduced to just making phone calls. Candace is sequestered in Charles's house, not interacting with any of the rest of the cast except (again) by phone. The more "imbedded" supporting characters seem to have been pushed aside in favor of this whole bunch at the hotel; Mitch is MIA, as is Derek (again, they should not have put that plot with Hanna aside like that) and I can't imagine Madison will continue to put up with the insanities Jeffery's family brings individually and as a group.

Also kind of...odd: Charles supposedly has two young children. Are they keeping them locked in a closet somewhere? A newly-elected President would be photographed with those kids all the time for PR purposes. And I do not think Candace has even referred to having met them. I don't think Charles has even said their names. Obviously they need not cast them in important roles, but you would think they would drop an occasional line about Candace and/or Charles interacting with the kids.
You need to email all of this to Tyler Perry.
...and what happened to the other show "If Loving You Is Wrong" is on hiatus again?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:43 PM

They're too busy hitting us over the head with the promotion of that new show, Ambitions, which seems (from the look of said promos) to be a lot of women hissing at one another and declaring their intentions to "destroy" one another. I'll pass.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Spoiler
So is Veronica dead or will she get revived? I can't see the show without her...

Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 PM

It might be a good time to point out that every season-end and mid-season finale features something physical happening to Veronica. Justin ran her off the road once. Jeffery kinda pushed her over a railing recently. It's becoming a tradition. Also in this tradition is her picking herself up, brushing away a bit of dust and continuing on her not-so-merry way.

On the one hand, there are still two episodes to go--kind of early for her to do her traditional life-in-jeopardy bit. But keep in mind that they take a loooong time to react to such events even if it's life-threatening. I recall it was five or six episodes into a new season before anyone found Amanda after she blew her brains out in the cliffhanger of the previous season. Veronica could do her Pool Toy imitation for longer than that, given she lives alone and the only one willing to visit her (RK) just ran away to avoid being arrested by the FBI. Or did he? I'm wondering if maybe he was lurking around and saw David drown Veronica in the pool. He would have to--no one else in town would be willing to pull her out of the pool if they found her. Heck, half the town would be tying cinderblocks to her feet.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,227,354 times
Lmao! I haven't watched since the house burned down but this episode sounds delicious, Daniel! Poor David. I always felt so sorry for him and Jeffrey having Veronica in their lives.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM

It would stand to reason that a young guy like Jeffery could/would/should just pack his bags and start over in another town. While David would be disappointed, he would likely support Jeffery's decision, if not just so Jeffery could get out of Veronica's clutches. They established some time ago that he has a degree and worked as a counselor/therapist in an addiction clinic; he could take that career anywhere. Unlike that basket-case Wyatt, Jeffery could easily live on his own someplace else without his family's financial support. They won't do this, of course, because that would mean Jeffery would leave the show and (gasp!) perhaps live a happy life. But I always felt they needed to express some sort of rationale as to why he does not want to leave town to get away from his crazy mother.

Wyatt, just like his mother, enjoys the passive-aggressive insults and empty threats that characterizes his life with Jim. Neither mother nor son would know what to do with themselves if Jim were not around, since they both are obsessed with the idea that their lives would be perfect if not for Jim being such an awful husband/father....when it is increasingly obvious that their self-destructive behaviors would occur with or without him around to be their punching bag. Jim's certainly not blameless, but of the three, he seems to be the only one self-aware enough to know he's his own worst enemy and doesn't shift the blame for his misery.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:23 PM

As predicted, there goes Veronica, leaving a wet trail from the pool as she goes on her latest reign of terror. Nice ret-con they dropped in, claiming she had worked as a lifeguard in college to explain how she held her breath that long underwater.

I'm calling it right now: Roderick is toast. The Malones are out to kill Wyatt (still), and the minute they see lights on in Wyatt's former apartment--and Katheryn sneaking in and out at all hours--they're going to send one of their goons to kill the similarly-handsome/well-built Roderick as he hides out in the apartment, believing this is where Wyatt is hiding out. It would not be the first time a goon kills the wrong person due to mistaken identity. If they can mistake Maggie Day (RIP) for Veronica, then mistaking Roderick for Wyatt ought to be a breeze.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Did you watch? What did you think of the finale?

Spoiler
Are the Cryers all dead? Is David and Jeffrey dead? All these shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV