Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,581,109 times

Advertisements

Also haven't missed an episode. Will continue to watch as I love the locales, and the challenges are really interesting since they are unique to each location. Will continue to watch till the end...either theirs or mine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Anybody else been watching since Season 1? We've watched them all, even the awful family season. I keep thinking one of these days I'm finally going to stop. I think I could live without it at this point. I'm not a reality show fan anymore apart from this (had my fill of a few others back in the day, but it's been several years since I regularly watched any other), and my girlfriend even less so, but we've always watched TAR for the travel aspect, different parts of the world, etc. The way the contestants experience it is pretty artificial, but still, we get to see those places a bit. A lot of the personality stuff we could do without. So. Dunno. It's a tradition, not one I ever thought would make it to 21 or 22 or whatever it is seasons. How much new can really happen?
I just started watching with last spring's season. This summer, I used Hulu Plus to catch up on the first six seasons. I can't watch two seasons at the same time, though, or I'll get confused as to what is happening when. So I may watch season 7 between this fall season and next spring's season.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,218,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Anybody else been watching since Season 1? We've watched them all, even the awful family season. I keep thinking one of these days I'm finally going to stop. I think I could live without it at this point. I'm not a reality show fan anymore apart from this (had my fill of a few others back in the day, but it's been several years since I regularly watched any other), and my girlfriend even less so, but we've always watched TAR for the travel aspect, different parts of the world, etc. The way the contestants experience it is pretty artificial, but still, we get to see those places a bit. A lot of the personality stuff we could do without. So. Dunno. It's a tradition, not one I ever thought would make it to 21 or 22 or whatever it is seasons. How much new can really happen?
I've watched every season too and can't wait for another one to begin each year. Too bad you don't enjoy it. It's the only "reality" show that is real, not scripted or swayed by production.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I've watched every season too and can't wait for another one to begin each year. Too bad you don't enjoy it. It's the only "reality" show that is real, not scripted or swayed by production.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The producers specifically set bottlenecks via plane times, hours of operation, train times, things like that to make a lead all but pointless until the very end. I've seen 16 hour leads given by fast forwards back in the day evaporate to nothing because producers send them to an airport that doesn't have a flight getting them in until 15 minutes before everyone else, then they get hit with hours of operation that bring everybody together again. I've seen it so many times that huge leads to impress me anymore. So I do think it is very much swayed by production.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 AM

I will say that I thought this season's first episode was kind of dull. Nobody stood out to me as someone to hate or love. The location was kind of blah. There was no drama at the airport getting tickets. There was the weird twist with the roadblock making people think the roadblock was paragliding but it was actually riding in a taxi down the mountain. I honestly really have no feelings for any team either good or bad so far.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,218,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The producers specifically set bottlenecks via plane times, hours of operation, train times, things like that to make a lead all but pointless until the very end. I've seen 16 hour leads given by fast forwards back in the day evaporate to nothing because producers send them to an airport that doesn't have a flight getting them in until 15 minutes before everyone else, then they get hit with hours of operation that bring everybody together again. I've seen it so many times that huge leads to impress me anymore. So I do think it is very much swayed by production.
True but it's still up to the individual teams to get through those obstacles. I still don't think it's "rigged" as much as other shows.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
True but it's still up to the individual teams to get through those obstacles. I still don't think it's "rigged" as much as other shows.
I agree it's not rigged like other shows. My wife is the one that hates that the producers do things like that but I understand if they didn't, it could be a really boring show because you could have one team get a 3 or 4 day lead over everyone else. So it really does have to be done. The show wouldn't be exciting otherwise.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
I agree it's not rigged like other shows. My wife is the one that hates that the producers do things like that but I understand if they didn't, it could be a really boring show because you could have one team get a 3 or 4 day lead over everyone else. So it really does have to be done. The show wouldn't be exciting otherwise.
There is however the Rob/Amber vs. Ulchena/Joyce season contraversy: last show race to finish, U/J late for plane that R/A is on to last stop. Suprise! - plane is delayed and doors opened on place (an almost impossibly feasabile occurance) to let U/J on. And what would happen if not? There would be no exciting last episode - R/A would be alone at last stop and coast to the end, with U/J a half day behind. U/J ended up winning (indicently a similiar thing happened with Rob in an earlier season - plane "miracioulosly" held up for him).
The almost obvious conclusion was that the producers interfered and made arrangements to hold up the plane (hinted at also by Rob in later interviews).

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is however the Rob/Amber vs. Ulchena/Joyce season contraversy: last show race to finish, U/J late for plane that R/A is on to last stop. Suprise! - plane is delayed and doors opened on place (an almost impossibly feasabile occurance) to let U/J on. And what would happen if not? There would be no exciting last episode - R/A would be alone at last stop and coast to the end, with U/J a half day behind. U/J ended up winning (indicently a similiar thing happened with Rob in an earlier season - plane "miracioulosly" held up for him).
The almost obvious conclusion was that the producers interfered and made arrangements to hold up the plane (hinted at also by Rob in later interviews).
Hey, I haven't seen that season yet! That's my next season to watch when this one's over!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Hey, I haven't seen that season yet! That's my next season to watch when this one's over!
Ooops, sorry. This was a season from years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV