Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times

Advertisements

How many of you watched this show during its original run and what were your thoughts and memories of the series?

I recently purchased (rented) season 1 and 2 on Amazon Instant Video so that I could go back and watch the entire series again from the beginning since my roomie never watched it. I grew up watching this series and it was actually my favorite nighttime soap that ran during this time. I know it was sometimes over the top, but that's what kept it entertaining for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Season one wasn't actually as glamorous and glitzy as the show became later on. There was a surprising amount of meat on that bone, so to speak. It wasn't until they started going too far with the wardrobe, the jewels, etc. and let those superficial things replace clever storytelling that I lost interest. Ironically the final season seemed better than it had been in years, once they seemed to wake up and realize they needed to focus on plotting and characterization.

It was never on par, quality-wise with Knots Landing, not as focused as Dallas, and not as droll/witty as Falcon Crest. I think no one can top Dynasty's lush, beautiful look, though.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Season one wasn't actually as glamorous and glitzy as the show became later on. There was a surprising amount of meat on that bone, so to speak. It wasn't until they started going too far with the wardrobe, the jewels, etc. and let those superficial things replace clever storytelling that I lost interest. Ironically the final season seemed better than it had been in years, once they seemed to wake up and realize they needed to focus on plotting and characterization.

It was never on par, quality-wise with Knots Landing, not as focused as Dallas, and not as droll/witty as Falcon Crest. I think no one can top Dynasty's lush, beautiful look, though.
I totally agree about season 1. While it certainly didn't seem to move as quickly as the subsequent seasons did, I actually preferred Dynasty's first season over Knots and Dallas because I preferred the story arcs rather than the self-contained episodes. I loved Knots and Dallas too, probably Knots more, especially storylines like Laura's death and the whole Abby/Olivia angst. However, Dynasty was my guilty pleasure and I was happy to see it come back down to earth a little during its final season.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
I remember watching it when it first aired. I don't think I saw all seasons, though.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
I loved Dynasty, but NewFallon's appearance (played by Emma Samms) with a British accent was a bit odd.

I thought Blake and Krystle's (did you know that Angie Dickinson turned down the role of Krystle?)pairing was great, and the addition of Alexis added just the right amount of drama.

Another night-time soap I loved was Falcon Crest. I haven't been able to find that on DVD (yet), though.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
I wonder if they will ever follow suit and come back to tv like Dallas.

Crystal and Alexis can still duke it out!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
I loved Dynasty, but NewFallon's appearance (played by Emma Samms) with a British accent was a bit odd.

I thought Blake and Krystle's (did you know that Angie Dickinson turned down the role of Krystle?)pairing was great, and the addition of Alexis added just the right amount of drama.

Another night-time soap I loved was Falcon Crest. I haven't been able to find that on DVD (yet), though.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Interesting how all of the children had been recast throughout the show (this includes the Reunion mini-series). Al Corley played Steven through season 2 and then Jack Coleman took over from season 3 through season 8, but Al Corley returned during the Reunion mini-series. Pamela Sue Martin played Fallon through season 4 and then Emma Samms took over with her British accent on The Colbys and then eventually moved back over to Dynasty through season 9. Catherine Oxenberg played Amanda with a British accent from season 5 through season 6 until she left and was replaced by Karen Cellini who briefly portrayed her with an American accent during season 7. Amanda was never mentioned during the Reunion mini-series. Gordon Thompson played Adam from season 3 through the end of the series, but wasn't available for the Reunion mini-series, so British actor Robin Sachs was cast as Adam. During the Dynasty Reunion Show: Caviar and Catfights, Al Corley, Pamela Sue Martin, Gordon Thompson, and Catherine Oxenberg reunited with other cast members, so although it wasn't an episode of Dynasty, it was the first time that all 4 of the original Carrington children were onscreen together (I wish it had happened much earlier).

In any case, you can rent Falcon Crest episodes or entire seasons on Amazon Instant Video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV