Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
There already is a thread for The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams):

'The Crazy Ones' (CBS) pilot = hilarious!

It would make more sense if you put your comments in that thread, and not take this one off topic.

I watched the Michael J Fox show (both pilot and second episode), and I didn't find it very funny.

The dialogue reminds me of Bob's Burger (animated show on Fox Sunday), which I don't really care for either.

Nearly everyone delivers their lines in the same expressionless monotone voice, and they all talk very fast.

Almost like robot actors who are reading from scripts.

I've always liked Michael J Fox going all the way back to when he was on Family Ties.

But I'm not sure basing a situation comedy around his Parkinson's is going to work over the long term.

I wish Michael success with the show, but I doubt I'll be watching it myself.
Exactly. It just seem not to flow very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
The fact that they make fun of the Parkinson's...like when he was in the balls at the kids park and they could tell where he was because the surface of the balls was shaking... is pretty funny. It is good to take the stigma from things that used to be off limits. This has happened with many ailments, such as the character on Glee with Down's Syndrome, or the way having breast cancer was only whispered about.
As far as the series having longevity, I've seen worse series that have lasted for years.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,168 times
I thought the show was great and I only see it getting better with time (like all shows do!). I thought the parkinsons jokes were awesome! You never hear jokes like that and I'm sure Micheal came up with them himself, if not was told them and he laughed at them! I can not imagine that Micheal would let them put a joke in the script that he was not okay with!!! I feel like Micheal was saying through his character on the show "Everyone, thanks so much for the sympathy, but I'm okay and it's okay to laugh with me."
Like I said - it will get better with age, and I hope it gets that chance.
I get what some of you said about maybe the characters seeming robotic, or the kids being a bit annoying, but I wonder if that's something where the actors need to get to know their characters better and learn to be comfortable "in their skin".

I will continue watching.

The best part about the upstairs neighbor plot was that it totally seemed like he had a huge crush on her. I didn't really see that twist coming where his deal was that it felt good for him to feel like someone had a crush on him. It was cute IMO.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Not horrid but I need more episodes to figure out if I like it.
I think that this show has a big obstacle to overcome. The Parkinson's sex jokes and most of the dialogue is trying to get viewers to accept the idea of sitcom with a severely handicapped star.

The bottom line is since he left Spin City (24 May 2000) he has only been live on a total of 24 episodes of TV where he plays live action (not counting animated shows).

The Good Wife:Louis Canning 8 episodes
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Dwight 5 episodes
Boston Legal: Daniel Post 6 episodes
Scrubs: Dr. Kevin Casey 2 episodes
Spin City: Mike Flaherty 3 episodes (returning character)

Once they get over this hump, it remains to be seen if the show can develop.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
I enjoyed this week's episode. My favorite of the 3 so far. Especially liked the story line about the daughter's photography. Lots of funny stuff in there. Made me smile to see MJF playing guitar at the end. Instantly thought of that Johnny B Goode scene in Back to the Future. I hope this show makes it, half because I think it is a good show and half because I just want success for Michael J. Fox.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think that this show has a big obstacle to overcome. The Parkinson's sex jokes and most of the dialogue is trying to get viewers to accept the idea of sitcom with a severely handicapped star.

The bottom line is since he left Spin City (24 May 2000) he has only been live on a total of 24 episodes of TV where he plays live action (not counting animated shows).

The Good Wife:Louis Canning 8 episodes
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Dwight 5 episodes
Boston Legal: Daniel Post 6 episodes
Scrubs: Dr. Kevin Casey 2 episodes
Spin City: Mike Flaherty 3 episodes (returning character)

Once they get over this hump, it remains to be seen if the show can develop.
What you are missing is the HUGE group who grew up with Alex P. Keaton. Family Ties (name of the show).

I have no idea how old you are, but I'm guessing you are too young to know what a great actor he was and still is.

He's not severely handicapped.

He has Parkinson's disease.

It's not a handicap, it's a disease.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:28 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Alex P. Keaton is a TV classic legend. Family Ties was so well written and acted. I loved every episode.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What you are missing is the HUGE group who grew up with Alex P. Keaton. Family Ties (name of the show).

I have no idea how old you are, but I'm guessing you are too young to know what a great actor he was and still is.

He's not severely handicapped.

He has Parkinson's disease.

It's not a handicap, it's a disease.
Bravo! No kidding! I didn't see as many Parkinson's jokes in the second episode as the first, although I do like how when something flies through the air, someone asks him "Parkinson's?"

Did I hear it wrong that the wife and the best friend are having an affair? I thought I heard some hush hush "do you think he knows about us", chatter and then they seemed to have left it in the second, focusing more on the tension between the sister and the best friend.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Bravo! No kidding! I didn't see as many Parkinson's jokes in the second episode as the first, although I do like how when something flies through the air, someone asks him "Parkinson's?"

Did I hear it wrong that the wife and the best friend are having an affair? I thought I heard some hush hush "do you think he knows about us", chatter and then they seemed to have left it in the second, focusing more on the tension between the sister and the best friend.
I thought I heard that too, domer. I hope they let that dog stay sleeping and never mention it again.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Sorry Michael--love ya a lot but we found the show boring yet again so this show has been "fired." Might try it again some night if I have nothing else going on, just to see if it got better. Hope springs eternal,I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV