Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

I like Mark.

The first time I ever watched the show (and mostly, the last other than bits and pieces) was when he and Bristol Palin danced. I admired how he treated her when so many anguished fools were unable to contain or conceal their hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
I used to like Mark, but this fame has gone to his head. He's decided he's God's gift to the dancers. He's got an ego that huge.

I'm not a fan of Cody Simpson, but I'm liking James Maslow (never heard of him before) and Sean Avery. I'd love to see Cheryl get James or Sean, and for Derek to dance with Danica.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
^ If anyone "had too much mouth", it was Nene! I couldn't stop looking at her face the whole time she was dancing, I barely noticed her dancing.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

The one big negative. I DO NOT like the new band. I didn't like the singer. Bring back Harold.
Show really seemed to lose some class; just seemed rushed and commercial, to me. Have always been a huge fan; but something has been lost. The former band was so outstanding, could play any era, type of music. What happened? Did the producers ever hear that saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." Maybe, with time the new band will improve; were some of those songs tapes?.....cheap, cheap, cheap.............

Erin seemed like a sportscaster to me.....oh, right she is? Anyway, the dancers looked great.. The judges were not so brash and seemed to be fair. Maybe, all is not lost.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I read that Harold's band wanted a huge increase in salary to continue on DWTS. I dont know whether that's true but it's plausible.

I thought the judges were pretty easy, just like last season. I cut them some slack this week because it was the first night but I hope they'll start giving truly-earned scores and more constructive criticism from now on. Does anyone remember how we complained about the too-high scores last season?

I think Erin did a great job. As nightbird and others posted, she made me realize just how uncomfortable Brooke always was there. And, just as the judges were too easy on the pros last Monday, let's cut Erin some slack and give her some time to get into the groove of the show. Performing on DWTS is entirely different than co-hosting it.

And I so agree about Mark. Yes, his parents taught Derek, and to some extent, Julianne, all they originally knew -- and I'm sure they held out a bit and taught Mark more. But Mark is nowhere near the dancer/teacher/choreographer that Derek is. Derek has earned the right to be egotistical, although he doesnt come off that way. Mark just comes across as a sleaze. I noticed how Candance told him, repeatedly, that she's just a housewife/mother -- I wondered if she were saying that to remind him to keep his hands where they belong. And what's up with his hair -- is he trying to pull off a Bruno Mars pompadour?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Why do we even need a Brooke or Erin? Tom is out on the dance floor next to the dancers who just danced while the judges give their comments. He (Tom) could just stand there, as the camera shows the 3 judges scores. Then hopefully, Tom can do the math & give them the results and make small talk with them then. No need to go running up the stairs after dancing a routine to get their scores.
Is Tom so busy that he can't pull double-duty?

As I recall, that's exactly what they did last season, when they did away with a lot of the glitter/glamour. The performers stayed on the dance floor with Tom -- and Brooke interviewed the performers before and after elsewhere. Many posters here, including myself, felt that it took away from the entertainment to have the dancers just stand on the dance floor and get their scores.

From Wikipedia, about last season:
Another change is the elimination of the sky-box area where host Brooke Burke-Charvet interviewed dancers after their performances. Instead, the couples are accommodated in a new seating area near the judges' table which has been shifted to the opposite side of the ballroom. A make-up room and rehearsal room were added where Charvet can chat with the couples before and after their performances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing...._season_17%29

Last edited by TFW46; 03-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Edited to add wikipedia excerpt

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I like Mark.

The first time I ever watched the show (and mostly, the last other than bits and pieces) was when he and Bristol Palin danced. I admired how he treated her when so many anguished fools were unable to contain or conceal their hatred.
That's your opinion which is fine but he was pawing Bristol every chance he got you could see how uncomfortable she was with it on camera. I didn't hate Bristol but she didn't belong on this show either as long as she lasted got to admit that she had no rhythm or dance abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
^ If anyone "had too much mouth", it was Nene! I couldn't stop looking at her face the whole time she was dancing, I barely noticed her dancing.
I noticed that too we were wondering here if she had lost her mind & thought she was back in the gentleman's club dancing for dollars.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Why do we even need a Brooke or Erin? Tom is out on the dance floor next to the dancers who just danced while the judges give their comments. He (Tom) could just stand there, as the camera shows the 3 judges scores. Then hopefully, Tom can do the math & give them the results and make small talk with them then. No need to go running up the stairs after dancing a routine to get their scores.

Is Tom so busy that he can't pull double-duty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
As I recall, that's exactly what they did last season, when they did away with a lot of the glitter/glamour. The performers stayed on the dance floor with Tom -- and Brooke interviewed the performers before and after elsewhere. Many posters here, including myself, felt that it took away from the entertainment to have the dancers just stand on the dance floor and get their scores.

From Wikipedia, about last season:
Another change is the elimination of the sky-box area where host Brooke Burke-Charvet interviewed dancers after their performances. Instead, the couples are accommodated in a new seating area near the judges' table which has been shifted to the opposite side of the ballroom. A make-up room and rehearsal room were added where Charvet can chat with the couples before and after their performances.

Dancing with the Stars (U.S. season 17) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess I just want the results without all the chit-chat. I FF through a lot of the show. I don't find the segments with Brooke or Erin entertaining or worthwhile. The actual dancing and rehearsing is what I find entertaining--and some of the comments from the judges can be too. Guess I'll just keep on FF through.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Erin sure showed us how the interviews should have gone all these Brooke years but Erin's voice irritated me so I can't say I am totally happy with that.

I missed Harold and his orchestra.

After telling Amy they had to judge her like "normal" they go and give her nines?? I don't understand that. Yes, I do, just sayin'.

Loved Meryle and Charlie.

Poor Billy D. He looked so out of it, mentally. "Smooth" looked to me liked stoned.

I'd be a fish out of water along with Diana if I had to dance in heels too.

Drew looked great.

Liked everyone even if I hadn't heard of them before. Interesting group.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:

I'd be a fish out of water along with Diana if I had to dance in heels too.
Didn't Zendaya do most of her numbers in sneakers?

Quote:

Liked everyone even if I hadn't heard of them before. Interesting group.
Agreed!

So happy Maks is back. Bummed that Tristan isn't on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV