Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times

Advertisements

While I do not consider MWC one of the top sitcoms of all times, it had its moments. My favorite episode concerned the 'Weenie Tots' that Al so loved:

Peg: (reading from one of the thousand boxes that Al bought): "If your card smells like a weenie, you win $50,000. Hey, let's open them all up and see if we won."

Al: "Peg, no. Read the label."

Peg: "No nutritional value....".

Al: "No! Keep reading."

Peg: "This is not a food...."

Al: "No, no, no! The fine print!"

Peg: "Do not expose Weenie Tots to air. Will accelerate disintegration process."

Of course, we know what happened next.

The way the actors did that scene still keeps me in stitches.

Source: Married with Children 517 Episode Script | SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM

31,929 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Best episode of MWC for me is when Al becomes all worked up over his annual Fourth of July or some such BBQ. He is in such a good mood that the tables are turned on Peggy. Instead of begging, threatening or otherwise playing games to get AL "in the mood", the guy wont leave Peggy alone! Just when she thinks he's had enough Al gives here the "three our of four" sign and drags her back into the house. *LOL*

See Peggy, Momma was right; take care what you wish for....

MWC went down hill when they decided to address Katey Sagal's real life pregnancy with Peggy Bundy expecting as well. Then that kid "Seven" shows up. For any sitcom once they start introducing a baby/kid into the mix it means the show is not long for the world.

Bewitched managed to survive the birth of Tabitha, but after Adam's birth it was pretty much the end.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM

31,929 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just as an aside, saw Amanda Bearse in film "Fright Night" on television past weekend. Had no idea she had done anything else besides playing "Marcy" on MWC.

As for MWC being one of the top sitcoms of all time (comedy) I don't know. While it was funny early on in an 1980's kind of way (you had to have been there, *LOL*) right down to all that Lycra/spandex and big hair, for my money Frasier was a much better show from the same period.

If you want to do "of all time", All in the Family would be on top of my list.
Actually I told a lie; would put Will and Grace as a tie with AITF as top sitcom of all time in my book. Still miss Karen Walker and "Just Jack".

Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
No, I didn't know what they meant. If you're going to ask a question, especially if someone claims to be a Journalist, then write out a clear and cohert question. And how can a show be best and worst at the same time?
Yes, I agree. They should have been more clear and cohert.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,847,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
any other thoughts?
Absolutely. I love that show.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:30 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
MWC IMHO only really lasted long as it did was because most everyone knows someone like Mr. & Mrs. Bundy and their children.
Nah.. The reason it lasted so long is that it was on Fox.

The highest rated the show ever was.. #29. Only on Fox.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,733,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Nah.. The reason it lasted so long is that it was on Fox.

The highest rated the show ever was.. #29. Only on Fox.
It lasted that long "because it was on FOX" but not for the reasons you're thinking - I assume.

FOX's first few years of its existence were doing everything they could to break "traditional prime time". It is why "The Simpsons", "Married with Children" , "Tracey Ulman", and especially "In Living Color" were so successful. They did things other networks wouldnt think of doing

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,325,472 times
I never realized it was a truly funny show. I was behind on Seinfeld too. So will watch some episodes. Hopefully, the OP is right! I could use another sitcom to get into.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,922,834 times
MWC for the most part was an average show with pathetic acting and couldn't be farther from actual living.

HOWEVER, it had some very funny moments in alot of the shows and I do find it to be brainless entertainment. Sometimes that's a good thing.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It lasted that long "because it was on FOX" but not for the reasons you're thinking - I assume.

FOX's first few years of its existence were doing everything they could to break "traditional prime time". It is why "The Simpsons", "Married with Children" , "Tracey Ulman", and especially "In Living Color" were so successful. They did things other networks wouldnt think of doing
I'm sure that was a part of it, too.. But, MWC was also, at the time it was #29.. A ratings juggernaut on Fox.

It hit #29 in the 1991-1992 season.. Let's look at the Fox lineup at that time..

Sundays..

True Colors.. Cancelled after the season.. Though, this show was in trouble because Cleavon Little died just after it was cancelled anyway.. Remember Cleavon? The Sheriff in Blazing Saddles.. Bad ratings

Parker Lewis Can't Lose - Would last another season, and was actually a halfway OK show. But, ratings not so good

In Living Color - An absolute hit show at this time. In its second season. #56 for the year.

Roc - Not a bad show.. First season, it would have 2 more.. #72

MWC, we're talking about

Herman's Head - Eh.. First of three seasons. Poorly rated.

The Sunday Comics.. I don't even remember this.

Fox did a movie of the week on Monday, no network programming on Tuesday or Wednesday

Thursday..

The Simpsons.. In its third season, and in its stride right then. The problem was.. It was put head to head against Cosby on NBC, which hurt it in the ratings, and it finished the year in the high 30's.

Drexell's Class.. One and done.

90210.. Second season.. #42.. I wasn't a fan of the show, so..

Friday..

America's Most Wanted. A show that survived cancellation at least twice.

Something called "The Ultimate Challenge".. No idea. I don't remember it.

Saturday..

COPS

Totally Hidden Video

Best of the Worst - Which, ironically, was the worst performing show of the season.. Finishing ranked #98 of 98 ranked shows

So.. Take that list, and MWC was a ratings winner for Fox.. Their highest rated show of the season.. How many times does the #1 show on a network get the axe? And, remember, this was right before they landed the NFL.. They were basically half a network at this point. Having the #29 show was party time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV