Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 08:47 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times

Advertisements

modcut

For instance this evenings' show was really good... very thought provoking. I think Kevin has been the 'dark horse' of the show all along. Yes, Randall and Kate are equally impressive characters, but I very much like how Kevin has been shown to grow so much as a thinking, caring individual throughout the series and tonight the show really did a nice job of highlighting that growth. Wonder why it is that when individuals we don't expect much of, begin to rise to the occasion... cause us to rejoice so much?

Yes, it does look like he might end up with Cassidy?

One thing I do miss, or haven't seen as much of, as in the previous seasons are the flash forwards to the future... like when Kate's son Jack is seen performing as a singer. I liked those 'little clues...' and would like to see more of them re: the adult children of the big three...

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?

Spoilers are welcome

Last edited by Beretta; 03-26-2022 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: modicum - discussing moderation (you don't endorse racism do you?)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 11:08 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I just finished watching this week's episode about an hour ago, and as I sat there something occurred to me. For much of the series we (or at least I) saw the parents as almost ideal parents. So why did all 3 kids turn out so screwed up?

Old 03-17-2022, 06:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just finished watching this week's episode about an hour ago, and as I sat there something occurred to me. For much of the series we (or at least I) saw the parents as almost ideal parents. So why did all 3 kids turn out so screwed up?
Are they? It's not like they're drug addicts living on the streets. We all have our problems, no one is perfect. But I wouldn't say anyone who has something they struggle with, whether it be anxiety, addiction, weight, or something else, is screwed up. I also don't think being anything less than perfect has anything to do with one's parents and how they were raised.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Are they? It's not like they're drug addicts living on the streets. We all have our problems, no one is perfect. But I wouldn't say anyone who has something they struggle with, whether it be anxiety, addiction, weight, or something else, is screwed up. I also don't think being anything less than perfect has anything to do with one's parents and how they were raised.
After watching the show since its first broadcast, I have come to look at each of them as being highly flawed individuals. The parents seemed well-adjusted. Not the kids.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:58 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's the way I see it. They're actually doing quite well for themselves. You've got Kevin who has enjoyed some degree of success in his career and has pulled himself out of addiction. He has two kids and a amicable co-parenting situation with his ex. Randall is the mayor, has a happy marriage and three beautiful daughters. Kate has overcome trauma, found love despite her body issues (yes, we know that the marriage will go downhill), and has two beautiful kids (one of whom has special needs) and a fulfilling job. All three are able to provide for their families rather well. Sure they're flawed (Kevin is irresponsible, Kate struggles with weight and self esteem, Randall is controlling and deals with anxiety), but who the hell isn't flawed? (And how boring would the show be if they weren't flawed?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:15 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's the way I see it. They're actually doing quite well for themselves. You've got Kevin who has enjoyed some degree of success in his career and has pulled himself out of addiction. He has two kids and a amicable co-parenting situation with his ex. Randall is the mayor, has a happy marriage and three beautiful daughters. Kate has overcome trauma, found love despite her body issues (yes, we know that the marriage will go downhill), and has two beautiful kids (one of whom has special needs) and a fulfilling job. All three are able to provide for their families rather well. Sure they're flawed (Kevin is irresponsible, Kate struggles with weight and self esteem, Randall is controlling and deals with anxiety), but who the hell isn't flawed? (And how boring would the show be if they weren't flawed?
Exactly! If they weren't flawed the show would be boring. We all have issues, we all have flaws and I love that the show has characters with many dimensions. Take Jack, great dad and husband but disowned his brother, had a rough upbringing, struggled with alcoholism. Rebecca, did her best with the kids, mom and daughter relationships are tough, especially in the teenage years and especially with a mom that is as beautiful and talented as Rebecca and Kate doesn't feel she's as beautiful which can lead to resentment in a lot of ways and we've even seen this in Rebecca's relationship with her mom. I know from experience, that while I love my mom, she never struggled with her weight much but has always been hyper-focused on it (probably bc she was so tiny growing up) and that played into our relationship as well. I take after my grandmother who was never tiny, and while I'm not obese, I've struggled with my weight and with my relationship with food and in turn I've struggled with my relationship with my mom. So, I can see how Kate had so many resentments towards Rebecca, even though Rebecca was doing her best and I think its taken Kate a long time to see how much her mom loves her. I've really enjoyed seeing the growth in these characters. All three of the big three have grown a lot in six seasons.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
To me that is perhaps the message of the show -- this is us...flawed.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I just watched the first two episodes but I missed something. How could the guy who robbed them not be there? He was getting bailed out of jail.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I think most people are messed up whether they admit or not is a different story.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:48 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
I don't see where they are particularly flawed at all. They went through the trauma of losing spouse and father at a very young age and had to make their way through life without his guidance. I think Kate and Kevin in particular suffered because Jack went into the burning house to save her dog and Kevin wasn't home when the fire broke out. Randall is overprotective of Rebecca still. Kate now has a family and job that she loves, Kevin brought Uncle Nicky into the fold and is trying to be the parent his father was and Randall has career and personal success while bringing a troubled teen into his family. Rebecca has a loving relationship with Miguel. I find their strides in forging a path hopeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV