Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:10 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed it, but I also found it unrealistic. I'm also wondering how they're going to show kids who pass away, or who go into remission. It could be tricky, but for now, I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
I watched some of it and also found it unrealistic as some others have said. Don't think I will be watching this again and not sure if it will be on for very long anyway.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Sorry, too close to home. I think people that love it will be those that have no idea of the reality of what life is really like. For those of us that do, this show misses the mark.

Agree with other comments. Will they sugar coat it? Because it isn't all sunshine and butterflies that's for sure.

This won't have longevity. No one likes to see kids sick and dying.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Hoping it makes it more than half a season before it goes like a typical FOX show...It is off to a great start..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Even knowing it won't last, we gave this show a shot the other night. It was fun show, but the subject matter shouldn't lend itself to a fun showing. I almost felt bad for myself after enjoying it.

I give it 2-3 more episodes.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Just watched the 2nd episode that I recorded on Wednesday night. I thought that this episode was even better than the premier and I'm hoping that it remains on the air, as I believe that it has some great stories to tell about children who are ill and some of what they are going through, as well as the medical community that treats them and deals with their families also.

Personally I don't know of any shows on TV that show 'real life situations", so to expect this show to have what most people experience in a hospital is unrealistic imo. Real life for most folks can be rather boring and monotonous and that is why so many peope escape real life through TV, the internet (this forum ), drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc.

For those posters that feel that this show hits too close to home, I am sorry for what you and your child are going through (or have gone through) and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families during this difficult time .

Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I DVR'ed this show, but after the ratings were released, I'm a little hesitant to watch it, as it will most likely be cancelled in a few weeks and what's the point of getting invested in a show that will end?
I just watched the two episodes on Hulu.. I thought the show was good.. Fine storytelling.. A fair bit unrealistic, of course, but.. Good storytelling and realism seldom go hand in hand.

I just don't see the show having legs. Where do the stories go? Don't see a future for it.. Would probably have been better as a miniseries or something like that.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
I want to watch but Survivor takes front seat on Wednesdays. Can it be seen on Fox hopefully?

Just answered my own question.
http://www.fox.com/watch/332658755923

Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I just saw it by accident … I had no idea it was on! It is really good. Come on Fox!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I haven't seen it, but I heard about it, in not good terms. They say it is very unrealistic and not showing what it's like to be a sick child. Of course, this is entertainment, it doesn't want to be depressing. But letting young people think hospitals are cool and you can do things like party when undergoing chemo... that's just a little sickening to me. (talking as a cancer mom here. Those (real) kids' daily lives are not sugar coated at all).
Well, I did party (and date and work full time) while I was going through chemo. Everyone is different. That said, none of that happened within the hospital's walls. There has been a lot of discussion in the AYA (adolescent and young adult) illness/cancer community about Red Band Society. None of it positive.

If you are a teenager with cancer or some other illness, chances are, you won't meet a single other person with your illness at your age. Even if you did, there's very little talking between patients at the hospital. I was 23 and the youngest person by at least 25 years in my cancer ward - older patients would start crying when they realized I wasn't there to support a parent or grandparent. Nurses were friendly, but they were BUSY. No bringing pizza for the patients to eat. In fact, anyone who did so would have been scolded because eating (or even smelling) something while going through chemo or other intense medical treatments can cause life-long aversions to the foods. I can never eat cupcakes or drink ginger ale again, for instance.

Hospitals are not bright, cheery places. They're sterile, cramped, and isolating. They have a smell that you can't shake - one that makes me throw up on command years later if I catch a whiff. That can't be captured on TV. The lifelong fear that is instilled in you when your body betrays you decades before you should ever need to worry about death, that can't be captured either.

On one hand, I'm glad that AYA illness is getting a bit more treatment than a "very special episode" where the character is fine immediately following treatment (if only...). Even remission or cured does not mean you'll ever be back to normal. On the other hand, the trend of showing sick people does those of us who actually live it no favors when most of these movies and shows miss the mark so much. Two exceptions are the Fault in Our Stars (no interest in seeing the movie, but the book was spot-on) and 50/50 (most accurate portrayal of getting a cancer diagnosis in your 20s that I have ever seen). ABC Family's Chasing Life and Red Band Society are two of the worst portrayals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV