Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:51 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The name change only bothered me when they decided to dilute their programming with non-science fiction shows. I totally get the reasoning SabresFan points out, but then I also think of the brand that "The History Channel" and "Food Network" have built and how SyFy ruined themselves. BSG doesn't even seem like it came from their network at all compared to the campy cheesy crap they put out now.
^^ This. Name change or not, they did get away from quality. I can understand some of the camp--that I dont mind--but give me some good SciFi programming as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Look, if they're going to be a "Sci Fi" channel.. They need to air Sci Fi.. I don't have a problem with a smattering of other shows.. You know, Ghost Hunters, I don't watch, but I can live with that airing on SyFy.. Even the wrestling, I can tolerate because that is bringing in viewers to watch the others.. So, they blow a couple hours a week on borderline or non-Sci Fi.. I can handle it.

But you have to air some damn Sci-fi.. They should be picking up shows from networks, much like they did with Sliders.. And then NOT totally screw them up.. Much like they did with Sliders.

Don't even get me started on the Family Feud channel.. I mean GSN.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I dont get the argument that they dont show sci-fi. Isnt that exactly what "Defiance" is ? "Haven"? "Ascension"? "Helix"? The forth coming tv adaptation of "12 Monkeys"? Even "Face Off" is the special effects side of Sci-Fi.

I think too many people see camp like "Sharknado" or "Big Ass Spider" and immediately run to "ZOMG!!! SyFy changed their name because the dont show sci-fi anymore!!!"

Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I dont get the argument that they dont show sci-fi. Isnt that exactly what "Defiance" is ? "Haven"? "Ascension"? "Helix"? The forth coming tv adaptation of "12 Monkeys"? Even "Face Off" is the special effects side of Sci-Fi.

I think too many people see camp like "Sharknado" or "Big Ass Spider" and immediately run to "ZOMG!!! SyFy changed their name because the dont show sci-fi anymore!!!"
Well, to each their own. To me, their heyday was in they were showing shows that other people had made. TekWar, LEXX, Mission: Genesis, SeaQuest, Welcome to Paradox, Wild Palms and so forth. There was a special charm when they did the ancient classics at 6 in the morning like Moonbase 3 and Otherworld.

But when they started making their own stuff, to the point that it was practically the only stuff they showed, I started tuning out. I suppose the main reason was it no longer felt like a college sci fi club but big business.

Now, business wise, I can understand the reasoning to that. Those other shows, you have to pay money to be able to show them and the only profit you might make is on the advertising dollar. But if you make your own stuff and show it, then whatever additional money it makes, such as merchandising, then that's money is yours!

But Sci Fi wise, the new shows are unappealing to me. Perhaps it is because they have the current standards of the era in their production, such as the shorten times so there are more commercials and there is insufficient time to tell a proper story. Perhaps it is because in showing these new productions, there is no consideration, no reference to the sci fi of the past, no subthemes to dream on. Perhaps it is because it seems so much of the modern stuff is trying to push a political agenda and is trying to teach and not just entertain. Or that good character development is replaced with eye candy.

A big nail in the coffin, though, was their advertising. Perhaps I didn't start out DESPISING Stargate and Enterprise, just didn't like them, but when Sci Fi was advertising them on every single commercial, continuing that advertising on screen overlays for the show I was trying to enjoy, it did eventually get to that point. If every single place I look on a channel flaunts that in my face, I will eventually not watch that channel. Add to it that every night "Was the most important night on television" and it just wears you down so it is not entertainment but torture. Creative concepts like the "Illustrated Man" station identification and the invading sunflowers to announce movie marathons disappeared.

Hence, Sci Fi Channel has gone the way, as far as I am concerned, of FOX. I do not like the channel, I do not trust the channel and any show shown on that channel I will not give the time of day. Now in FOX's case, it is because I know they will give me a taste and then yank it away (so why bother getting involved?). In Sci Fi's case, I suppose it comes down to I am not going to let you tell me what Sci Fi is suppose to be.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:31 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i still never got a real explanation of the name change
Primarily it was because you could claim copyright infringement on the use of SyFy, while Sci-Fi is in the public domain.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

But Sci Fi wise, the new shows are unappealing to me. Perhaps it is because they have the current standards of the era in their production, such as the shorten times so there are more commercials and there is insufficient time to tell a proper story. Perhaps it is because in showing these new productions, there is no consideration, no reference to the sci fi of the past, no subthemes to dream on. Perhaps it is because it seems so much of the modern stuff is trying to push a political agenda and is trying to teach and not just entertain. Or that good character development is replaced with eye candy.
But see, I think this is a different argument. The biggest knock on Syfy is that they dont show Science Fiction. I totally get that their shows dont appeal to all (what shows do?) but they ARE showing Sci-Fi.

By the way, this isnt meant to pick on you specifically. Your comment just seemed to aid in making the point.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:29 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I heard long ago that there is a rule on commercial television that no programming
can be beyond the comprehension level of an 8th grader. The reasons involve not
wanting to isolate a significant segment of the viewing population from following the
plot. If that is still true, SyFy certainly follows this rule.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:44 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I rather agreee iwth the article. I wish the other cable channels that originally targeted a specific genre would be so honest.

The last show that I continued to watch was Star Trek Next Generation reruns. When they removed it, I had no use any more for Syfy. I don't have BBCA so I can no longer watch Next Generation or Dr. Who. I don't care about ghosts and paranormal stuff, although I can understand that it can be linked to the Sci-Fi theme. I got my science fiction fix from shows on other networks such as Fringe and Person of Interest. If they want to draw the 8th grade middle schools crowd, they should make The Hunger Games, The Television Series.

Maybe, some of the new series mentioned in the article will be good. I like the idea that they are getting ideas from science fiction literature. I also agree about the annoying logos and constant promotions of their programming over and over and over again, worse than the Disney Channel. Those annoying logos and pop-ups on the screen in the middle of a program really have to go.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:43 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Anything NBC touches goes to $__t!

Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I rather agreee iwth the article. I wish the other cable channels that originally targeted a specific genre would be so honest.

The last show that I continued to watch was Star Trek Next Generation reruns. When they removed it, I had no use any more for Syfy. I don't have BBCA so I can no longer watch Next Generation or Dr. Who. I don't care about ghosts and paranormal stuff, although I can understand that it can be linked to the Sci-Fi theme. I got my science fiction fix from shows on other networks such as Fringe and Person of Interest. If they want to draw the 8th grade middle schools crowd, they should make The Hunger Games, The Television Series.

Maybe, some of the new series mentioned in the article will be good. I like the idea that they are getting ideas from science fiction literature. I also agree about the annoying logos and constant promotions of their programming over and over and over again, worse than the Disney Channel. Those annoying logos and pop-ups on the screen in the middle of a program really have to go.
On Hulu.com you can watch the first season of Star Trek Next Generation for free. For the rest of the seasons you have to pay, but at least you can watch the first season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV