Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times

Advertisements

My DW just got off the phone w/Charter, again. No signal. Before being taken over, Bresnen, the local provider was miles ahead of metro cable. Bigger monopolies are not better. Just guessing, but because we have way out outdated tv's we have issues as to getting service. I am waiting for the end of the month and T-day to 'pull the plug' and go cable free other than internet. Anyone else enjoy their service as much as I ? We live where you can not get any broadcast tv. In the good old days we had three channels. I will not be paying for 100 channels that we don't watch. What is this country coming to that a newspaper and local tv are beyond the financial resource of many citizens? alacarte anyone?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-01-2014 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: wrong forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
I can appreciate your position, but what does this have to do with photography?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
Sorry, how do I get it moved?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
DM a mod and they'll move it for you.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
DM a mod and they'll move it for you.
I moved it. I put your original post back in.

On your original question:

After 15+ years of satellite we gave it up... We are OTA (Over The Air) TV watchers. Using Redbox, then went with Netflix & Amazon Prime for Movies over Roku. Can you see we are happy

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-01-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I'm on Charter down here in GA, internet only though (and have happily been so for 2+ years now). I do agree that my experiences with Bresnan while living in Wyoming were fantastic. I can't tell any difference in Bresnan or Charter internet, other than I get a little more download speed with Charter for the same money ~ but it's also been 5 years since I last had Bresnan.

Like you, I am also in an area with zero OTA service... well, that's not 100% accurate as I Can get some channels on clear winter days after all the leaves have fallen. But a year after cutting the TV service I tried Aereo and found that I couldn't watch anything because of the commercials. I don't think you realize just how Invasive those buggers are. I have a better outlook on the world since fear-mongering news stories are missed. Only 1 TV in the house and it's on FAR less (1~2 hours a day M-F and Maybe up to 6 on a weekend if it's particularly nasty outside).

Among those who do go pay-TV free, about the only Real complaint is the loss of sports. I would recommend trying to go with a full computer as a 'Home Theater PC' or HTPC for short, simply so you can watch free content that isn't available via Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc.... namely the stuff that's on broadcast websites. I think we watch just about as much fron broadcast websites (all current stuff) as we do from Netflix. Despite having an Amazon Prime account, we watch Nothing there thanks to the TERRIBLE interface and had Hulu+ as a free 6-month demo and opted not to pay for that either.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
We had Verizon FIOS and got rid of it because of price. We are now with MediaCom. It is cheaper and the service much friendlier. We have Comcast at my work. There is really no difference in TV signal quality. Comcast internet constantly cuts out.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
I love everything about Directv.......BUT.....

My equipment is pretty much outdated at this point. I have my original HD DVR that I got in 2007 (actually been with them since 2001) plus 2 more that I have had for about 4 years. The oldest one is still rock solid but the "newer" ones are dogs. Directv will probably upgrade my equipment but I am not interested in their "Genie" set up. I like having separate DVRs. To stick with my type of set up I cant guarantee I will get the latest equipment. Basically I could end up with exactly what I have.

Short version I am stuck in an endless loop and paying $190/mo and not really happy with what I have as far as equipment.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Aside from having to pay for it, I'm completely satisfied with TWC cable/internet (RoadRunner). I'm trapped between two broadcast markets, being on the southern edge of the one which broadcasts to my area. With my corner house, car traffic generates pixelation with OTA, so I have basic cable, no HiDef. My internet is fairly flawless at 15meg down. I stream at least a couple hours a day, more on weekends. TWC has NO data caps.

I also have a Roku with Netflix, Amazon, AcornTV, Plex, PlayOn, SkyNews, Fox PodCasts, and LiveStreamTV < awesome.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Even though I'm not as happy as I've always been with Directv, I do believe they're the best. I never had a lick of trouble in CA. but since moving to MO. and getting the cheapo dvr, I'm not as pleased. It messes up quite a bit and doesn't hold as much as I'd like. Their customer service is great, and I like that when I know someone who'll sign up using my account # we both save $10 a month for 10 months. Its just hard getting new folks to remember to give it. lol One of my own sons forgot!

With any tv service, it makes me mad to see newbies get better deals than us who have been loyal customers forever. I get they need to entice them, but it doesn't make me any happier about it. I was going to cancel so they gave me a better deal, but I had to sign a 2 year contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV