Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times

Advertisements

Here is a video of a group of newly sworn Canadian citizens, singing OH Canada after their citizenship ceremony. At a Toronto Maple Leafs home game, at the Air Canada Centre.

link
O Canada - YouTube

Listen to that crowd, eh ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Unfortunately, most U.S citizens probably don't know the lyrics of The Star-Spangled Banner aka the American Anthem.
Most if not all stadiums / arena's post the lyrics all over the place during the anthems. Not doubting that Canadians are probably more likely to remember their anthems without help, lol... but I'm sure if this happened anywhere else the same COULD have happened. However, their passion is 2nd to none....

Old 11-24-2014, 08:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
After the terrorist attack in Ottawa, O Canada was played at an NHL game in Pittsburgh against the Flyers. Normally O Canada would not be played at a game involving two American teams. Most of the American fans seem to be singing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVDHLfwngvE

Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I find the Canadians have way more class than we Americans. Oh Canada? Maybe the first two words but I CAN sing my own anthem. Don't they teach that to kids anymore? Great job, neighbors to the north!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I find the Canadians have way more class than we Americans. Oh Canada? Maybe the first two words but I CAN sing my own anthem. Don't they teach that to kids anymore? Great job, neighbors to the north!
I won't comment generally on the relative levels of classiness between nationalities but it should be pointed out that knowing the U.S. national anthem for Canadians is probably more related to acculturation (watching zillions of hours of American TV shows, movies and sports) than it is classiness or openness to other cultures.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Sundaydrive.

Actually there are seven Canadian teams in the NHL and about fifty percent of the approximately 700 players in the league are Canadian born. The other fifty per cent are American or European born.

My point was that as a gesture of solidarity, the Toronto fans sang the American national anthem, when the on ice singer's microphone stopped working, due to a technical problem.

In Canada, we sing the national anthem, as a group, along with the actual "designated singer " and the tradition is that you know the words, in BOTH English and French.

Jim B. In Toronto,
Ok... So 7 out of 30 teams are from Canada. Still seems like Canadians would be seeing games played by a US and Canadian team more often then not.

Not sure what the players nationalities have to do with anything... Do they base what national anthems are sung based on the players nationalities?

I know why the Canadians started singing, but a lot of people seemed amazed that they would even know any of the words. It's a song that is sung at a majority of hockey games. I would think after awhile you would know the lyrics.

Not knowing would be like going to a baseball game and not knowing Take Me Out To the Ball Game. A majority of the crowd sings along to that song despite only hearing it at baseball games. Or at least I know all the words despite only hearing it at baseball games... Maybe there are people who listen to the song regularly away from a baseball field.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Teach kids what? The national anthems of other countries?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
While this was cool - and I DO NOT want to take anything away from anyone who does this, it is about the 10th time it has happened this season.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
linda814.

At the Joe ? For sure. Its not called Hockey Town for nothing.

Tough news about Gordie Howe, and his declining health condition. Imagine a modern NHL player being able to play into his 50's and still be a scoring threat ? Unbelievable skill and stamina.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Yes Jim...at the Joe..and Olympia before that....LOVE my Red Wings!!.Did you see the new arena they are building? Gordie Howe...such a nice man and gentleman...met him a couple of times....

Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Teach kids what? The national anthems of other countries?
Of course not. The Star Spangled Banner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV