Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Was upset when NBC canceled Revolution.... but after what we know about Stephen Collins, it was probably a blessing in disguise. Who knows how many more children he would have molested on the set.
I think he just may have become a casualty and the series would go on without him. I was really dissapointed since I wanted to see more. It actually showed the world they'd live in and made them into the people they'd have to be to survive. That's not common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Boycotting A&E for cancelling Longmire...

Last I heard their ratings were plummeting. Probably not because I stopped watching, but there were millions of angry Longmire fans out there, and some of them have switched to Netflix.
While channel surfing I found Longmire since they cancelled it I have not watched the channel. Still scratch my head thinking about it being their highest viewed show & they cancelled it because most viewers were to old for their demographics. They showed us old farts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I would not call it boycotting I just don't watch it. After Longmire there was nothing I wanted to see.I don't even check their listings anymore.
Ditto can't wait for it to show the new season on Netflix.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Longmire was the only show I watched on A&E so now I don't watch that channel at all. Foolish decision on their part.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
The most notorious TV protest, but was not a boycott was for Star Trek.

But the most successful protest was for Friday Night Lights. It resulted in a clever compromise that pacified angry fans and made money for Direct TV and NBC. The show continued a few more years, with fewer episodes, but without diminishing the quality of the program (unlike Star Trek which had one more season but with a much smaller budget). The final episode tied up all the loose ends and most fans were pretty happy with the way the series was concluded. Of course, fans always want more and many people from the original show were on board with a movie, but the lead wasn't interested.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Personal boycotts aren't done to actually change anything but to make someone feel like they have control. That said, I don't boycott because I realize I will never have any real power. LOL.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:34 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If you want to have an impact on a tv network, you have to punch them in the wallet to get their attention.

An individual boycott of which the network isn't aware, will have no impact on their programming decisions, it will only inconvenience the boycotter. A boycott by a special interest group capable of publicizing their gripes, a massive letter writing campaign to the show's sponsors, those sort of activities might pose a threat to revenues. That would get their attention.

If you are unable to recruit a sufficient number of like minded fans to form a critical mass, the remaining alternative is some dramatic individual gesture on your part. A mass killing where you end up shooting yourself or being killed by the police, but leave behind a note explaining that it was NBC's fault for prematurely canceling a show which you enjoyed...that would get their attention. Of course there would be counter productive and morally messy qualities to that plan.
I vote for self emmolation. It sparked the Arab Spring, imagine what it could do for television.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, I stuck to it. I have not watched a single show on NBC since I decided to boycott them. Come to think of it, the only 4 shows I watch on tv is Vikings, The walking dead, Supernatural, and Bar rescue..
You could be boycotting ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox with the shows you are watching!

Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
What ever happened to Sherlock Holmes on BBC America? That and Orphan Black seem to have disappeared.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Has a boycott even ever worked? I haven't, but I've always wanted to get my voice heard for NBC canceling shows like Freaks & Geeks, Chuck, Community... (although Community was rightfully revived by Yahoo!)
You DO know that the only reason "Chuck" got a final season was because of fan support right?

Old 04-17-2015, 04:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What ever happened to Sherlock Holmes on BBC America? That and Orphan Black seem to have disappeared.
Orphan Black is between seasons I believe. It has NOT been cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV