Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
Right now I'm watching Outback Nation, Season 1 Episode 2 -- some family with a huge backyard -- looks like it could be somewhere in southern California -- but I really have no idea -- it could be Arizona or even Australia for all I can tell. The show's website also doesn't say where the are (at least not that I've found).
Palm Springs. Its in the episode's description.

Episode one was Merritt Island, Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 PM

195 posts, read 246,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Palm Springs. Its in the episode's description.

Episode one was Merritt Island, Florida.
Thank you... yeah I saw that "transform their 13,000 square foot disaster area into a Palm Springs style oasis" but to me this doesn't mean the location is Palm Springs... but that they are looking for a "Palm Springs style"...
you could be right that this is what they meant.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:21 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Absolutely, they are indirectly show-length commercials for home improvement stores. That doesn't mean they can't be entertaining! There's a Love It or List It filmed in Eastern Canada, probably Toronto. They may have moved south of the border recently? Then there is Love It or List It, Too, which I think is from Vancouver on the west coast. Spectacular mountain and bay views. And I totally agree that they don't want to accentuate the fact that they're in Canada. But the gentle accent speaks its own language!

We don't get DYI Channel anymore on Cox. Is that where "Outback Nation" is on?

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 05-09-2015 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 05-09-2015, 04:51 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,748,872 times
Another reason they usually neglect to mention (or at least focus on) the locale is because some production companies film all their episodes in one town/location, or maybe two. In an effort to give the appearance of higher production values, they will gloss over this and try to make the viewer believe they're going all over the country to do their episodes.

Programs like these typically wants to appeal universally, but if they keep repeating that the shows are produced in Atlanta or Miami, there may be a segment of viewers (say, people in a colder climate) who will not sample it because they will assume the hints/help from the show won't help them build the kind of home they need in Minneapolis or Fargo.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Some reasonable ideas -- and yet some of the shows DO tell the viewers which cities each particular episode is in -- so for those shows that appear to be intentionally hiding it -- it just seems odd. An example of a show where they make no effort to hide it is the couple that fixes up houses in Waco Texas -- heck, I find it cool that they are in Waco Texas -- it gives me another perspective on Waco -- and helps me forget the tragic incident there a couple of decades back.

I saw a Love it or List it the other day -- and I really liked the street and houses on it -- and I wondered if it was Portland Oregon (I'm in Seattle and thinking of moving to Portland to be closer to my bro and sis). Anyway, I looked at the episode details online, and could find no hint at all what city it was in. (it was the episode with the caucasian skate border married to the asian art professor if anybody else saw it). The guy had a lot of tattoos -- which is another reason I thought it looked like Portland, aside from the Architecture.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
I saw a Love it or List it the other day -- and I really liked the street and houses on it -- and I wondered if it was Portland Oregon (I'm in Seattle and thinking of moving to Portland to be closer to my bro and sis). Anyway, I looked at the episode details online, and could find no hint at all what city it was in. (it was the episode with the caucasian skate border married to the asian art professor if anybody else saw it). The guy had a lot of tattoos -- which is another reason I thought it looked like Portland, aside from the Architecture.
It is probably Vancouver BC, I believe that is where the second LIOLI show films.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Absolutely, they are indirectly show-length commercials for home improvement stores. That doesn't mean they can't be entertaining! There's a Love It or List It filmed in Eastern Canada, probably Toronto. They may have moved south of the border recently? Then there is Love It or List It, Too, which I think is from Vancouver on the west coast. Spectacular mountain and bay views. And I totally agree that they don't want to accentuate the fact that they're in Canada. But the gentle accent speaks its own language!

We don't get DYI Channel anymore on Cox. Is that where "Outback Nation" is on?
Yes, I saw Outback Nation on DYI. I realize many of these shows are like extra long commercials for home renovation stores -- but I don't mind that since I'm in the process of renovating my home, and they give me some ideas.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It is probably Vancouver BC, I believe that is where the second LIOLI show films.
Yeah that could be. Too bad, it looked nice... but I'm looking to head south from Seattle, not north

Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 PM

679 posts, read 810,240 times
Quote:
Yeah that could be. Too bad, it looked nice... but I'm looking to head south from Seattle, not north

Love It or List It Too (with Jillian and Todd) is in Vancouver. The original Love It or List It (with Hilary and David) is somewhere else in Canada -- except for the most recent season which is in the Triangle area of North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham and surrounding areas).

Old 05-10-2015, 10:44 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,085 times
Because they want make it as difficult as possible for people to research the chain of title and find out that purchase price, the sales price and the hold times they reported on the show were fudged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV