Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Cathy Lee Crosby (one of Bing's daughters) played Wonder Woman on TV (in a 1974 movie) before Lynda Carter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHvtlWmlMFU

Huh?

Der Bingle only had one daughter, Mary Frances, and a passel of sons. Cathy Lee Crosby is not related to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
I don't know a lot of these shows, but as soon as I read the title? Oh Roseanne immediately came to mind!
They ruined a great show! It was so relatable. What the hell were they thinking?! Why???

Someone mentioned Valerie Harper - I barely remember that - didn't they end up putting Sandy Duncan on there? To take her place or something? Was Valerie the mom and they killed her off or she ran off and Sandy came to "fill the void" so to say, an Aunt or something? I remember her sneaking cigarettes from the toilet tank in the bathroom.

Family Matters kind of - I mean it was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers, their elevator attendant co-worker was to have her own show about her family, but Urkel totally took over. So much so that didn't she leave and they replaced her character? I mean, I may be wrong about that. Heck they even wrote her daughter out (the middle one, Judy was it?) later on! The character just disappeared without an explanation, just quit existing all together if I recall.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
..........Someone mentioned Valerie Harper - I barely remember that - didn't they end up putting Sandy Duncan on there? To take her place or something? Was Valerie the mom and they killed her off or she ran off and Sandy came to "fill the void" so to say, an Aunt or something?......
That is rather what killed "Crossing Jordan" for me, when Hennessy was off on maternity leave. When the title star of the show is not around, when why we tuned in in the first place for someone who is never there, then there is not much point of watching the show.

In a way, that's why I stopped watching "ER" after Tierney departed; those who remained were not strong enough to carry the show anymore........and that's putting in nicely. Plus, the changing of the intro didn't help matters at all. In the old, "long", intro, one was introduced to who the major players were. One saw the player's name, saw their picture, even got an impression to what they did on the show.

When they cut the intro to a fraction of the time (for more commercial time, of course) and then ran the players' names across the bottom in the opening scene, one didn't know who was important and who wasn't, one didn't know who was playing who, of who was going to be around next episode. If we even saw the names at all because these days, often other things are put at the bottom of the screen that don't even deal with the show.

It's what they say, when it is no longer fun to do or entertaining to watch, then one should stop doing it.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Murphy Brown was a really great show for most of its run. For some reason they decided to center the final season around Murphy's battle with breast cancer. Because, y'know, nothing gives us the ha-has like a brush with the Big C. This was a sitcom for most of its run, so why try to be (in essence) a half-hour drama? The remaining supporting characters barely got anything to do, and even Lily Tomlin couldn't bring the funny. I know they could not help losing a few key characters (Eldin, Miles, Phil) but the show became....a chore to watch sometimes. Had it not been for my affection for Murphy built over the previous seasons, I would not have continued watching that last season.

The early years of Designing Women were great stuff. They had four ladies with varying points of view, and though there were times they argued, you could tell they all respected each other's points of view. After Delta Burke and Jean Smart left and they had various other characters emerge, Mary Jo seemed to change into holier-than-thou shrew who belittled and in many cases ignored anyone's opinions that she did not agree with. Julia became excessively preachy and unwilling to entertain other points of view. Her occasional diatribes in the earlier seasons came off as spur-of-the-moment, but in later years they sounded totally rehearsed and "canned". Without Suzanne around to stick pins in Julia's balloons, Julia's hot air had nowhere to go. Worst of all, the chemistry of the leads was nowhere to be seen in the final seasons. They seemed to be hanging out together just to belittle each other; there was no tight-knit friendship in evidence.

Wow, I agree totally with both of these! I was pretty much a kid when these were on, but I watched and liked them (especially Murphy Brown). Man, MB was so depressing at the end! It was far from entertaining anymore.

I actually did give up watching Designing Women once the original core characters left. The chemistry was gone at that point.

Excellent reviews!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
I agree with:
MASH
Happy Days
Rosanne

Current ones:
Two and a Half Men - that show was losing its charm at least a season before Charlie left, it just was becoming crass. Once Charlie was gone, the show just felt forced and should have been cancelled.

Big Bang Theory - I agree with whoever said it turned into the Sheldon show, but I could live with that most of the time. This season though, the radical change in Penny, has totally turned me off.

Person of Interest - I loved this show when it first came on and they were stopping ordinary people from making life ending mistakes/choices, whether it was killing or being killed. I can't stand the whole Samaritan story line, the seedy characters, and the ridiculous Root. I started turning it off mid-show last season and simply quit watching after a couple of shows this season. It's too bad, it started out as a really interesting show.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Huh?

Der Bingle only had one daughter, Mary Frances, and a passel of sons. Cathy Lee Crosby is not related to him.
Whoops!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Someone mentioned Valerie Harper - I barely remember that - didn't they end up putting Sandy Duncan on there? To take her place or something? Was Valerie the mom and they killed her off or she ran off and Sandy came to "fill the void" so to say, an Aunt or something? I remember her sneaking cigarettes from the toilet tank in the bathroom.
Harper was fired after she went on strike for a raise.

The Hogan Family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
MASH - The first two years it was similar to the far-superior film -- witty, fast-paced, irreverent -- but as time went on it pandered to the lowest common denominator and became the Alan Alda Show.

As proved by possibly the worse series finale ever!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
American Idol. Everydbody in front of and behind the camera has changed except Seacrest. They've messed with the format of the show too several times. It's nothing like the Kelly Clarkson days.

Friends towards the end was a different show. The cast was clearly aging and too old to play the goofballs most of them were playing.

Last edited by Tinawina; 05-28-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
American Idol. Everydbody in front of behind the camera had changed except Seacrest. They've messed with the format of the show too several times. It's nothing like the Kelly Clarkson days.

Friends towards the end was a different show. The cast was clearly aging and too old to play the goofballs most of them were playing.
Monica became so shrill that she's almost unwatchable and Chandler had somehow become neutered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV