Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
He wasn't that young (compared to a child). That episode always skeeved me even as a kid. Ole Ben was an Ole pedophile. Same as that episode with the pool and the children. It had weird kidnapping/suicide tones.

How very sad that you go there first and foremost.

Old Ben was nothing but kind to that young girl.

As the young King, let's say he was 18 and she was 12.....let's say they married one day, she at 18, he at 24, or, she at 20, he at 26.....a 6 year age difference, not a big deal.

Not even a hint that she would be forced to marry him one day either.

I'll stick by my take on the story.... a friendship that one day blossoms into love and a happy ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How very sad that you go there first and foremost.

Old Ben was nothing but kind to that young girl.

As the young King, let's say he was 18 and she was 12.....let's say they married one day, she at 18, he at 24, or, she at 20, he at 26.....a 6 year age difference, not a big deal.

Not even a hint that she would be forced to marry him one day either.

I'll stick by my take on the story.... a friendship that one day blossoms into love and a happy ending.
If you have a 12 year old child you wouldn't mind an 18 year old hanging around them? There's nothing to assume he was "young", he was just handsome. Since he was an alien, he probably much older than 18.

"Mrs. Gann will be in for a big surprise when she finds this under Jenny's pillow, because Mrs. Gann has more temper than imagination. She'll never dream that this is a picture of Old Ben, as he really looks, and it will never occur to her that eventually her niece will grow up to be an honest-to-goodness queen—somewhere in The Twilight Zone."

There's nothing to suggest he's young by human standards. Just as she looks younger than 12 to me. Even if she was 12 and he was 18, it's still very weird. It's a typical molestation. He picked a child who was more easy to abuse, because she had no one to protect her. This isn't the first time a sexual theme was used with a children in film. Look at a lot of Shirley Temple movies. You'll see something is off.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
The SyFY constant commercials make it really hard to settle in. ]
Funny I was not bothered by the commercials here as I am by the constant long commercial breaks during the movies on cable channels when I can not find anything on my regular channels.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
I just watched my own personal Twilight Zone marathon on Netflix this year. No commercials, and they aren't edited.

Sure beats SyFy and 10 million commercials.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I just watched my own personal Twilight Zone marathon on Netflix this year. No commercials, and they aren't edited.

I have been thinking of doing that as well. They just chop these episodes up like crazy. There was a line I was waiting for in a favorite episode which never came. A commercial did though.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

Exactly right.

These SyFy reruns are utterly worthless shadows of the originals since they are cut so much. I eagerly awaited "The Howling Man" only to find that they had cut most of the devil's chilling walk down the corridor, with his appearance becoming more like the devil as he emerged from behind each pillar. Blasphemy to mutilate that most memorable scene in the show.

No TZ purist would waste time with these.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
He wasn't that young (compared to a child). That episode always skeeved me even as a kid. Ole Ben was an Ole pedophile. Same as that episode with the pool and the children. It had weird kidnapping/suicide tones.
You're probably thinking of modern times where that might be shkeevy, but that was made in early 1960's where life was more innocent.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Would someone tell me what kind of accent a lot of them use on this show. its like a formal accent which i dont hear around here in chicago, unless you are high upper class or something. is it the way they speak on the east coast? or is that the way they talked in the 1960's??? i hear this in some of these older shows, and i dont know where that came from? or is that the way actors were taught how to speak?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Would someone tell me what kind of accent a lot of them use on this show. its like a formal accent which i dont hear around here in chicago, unless you are high upper class or something. is it the way they speak on the east coast? or is that the way they talked in the 1960's??? i hear this in some of these older shows, and i dont know where that came from? or is that the way actors were taught how to speak?
I believe it's called a "continental" accent. Back in the 30's through maybe the 60's actors tried to cultivate an accent that didn't show anything regional. Sometimes it sounds British to me but that's not what they were going for. They wanted to be sure they were understood so they pronounced their words more slowly and carefully. This also comes from doing stage work.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I believe it's called a "continental" accent. Back in the 30's through maybe the 60's actors tried to cultivate an accent that didn't show anything regional. Sometimes it sounds British to me but that's not what they were going for. They wanted to be sure they were understood so they pronounced their words more slowly and carefully. This also comes from doing stage work.

Hey thanks! I always wondered about that! I hear that news reporters on tv have to have a plain way of speaking so that no regional accent is heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV