Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 07:02 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,547,614 times

Advertisements

West World Season 4 has finally dropped. I've never been a big fan of the series but still find it worth watching. Especially since I've already invested in three seasons. If you have watched S4E1 what do you think?

I have never liked plots where no one is really dead in shows or books. It surely makes West World confusing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 07:04 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Haven't gotten to it yet. Haven't yet been able to work up the enthusiasm. My reaction to this show:

Season 1 --- Really, really good despite some glaring flaws.

Season 2 --- A confusing, boring mess.

Season 3 --- Much improved from season 2. At least it was telling a coherent story. But it was so not gripping that I still haven't finished watching it. I need to do that before I try Season 4.

I am predicting Season 4 will be the last.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:47 AM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Stepped into S4 by pure accident, didn't even expect it to still run, as so many didn't like it. Advanced exercise in tangled confusing time jumping story lines.

I'll watch it just for the hey of it... don't expect much improvement. Delores in modern times has very well designed and fitting classic outfits, I enjoy watching her in them.

Aaron Paul as some sort of superman special op soldier? Gimmy a break...
I seriously hope they won't bring back the Bernard character... that was the most torturous part for all seasons.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:30 PM

I did grit my teeth watching the interaction between Aaron Paul and his screen wife. Terrible dialog resulting in painful acting.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:45 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
I like Westworld but find it very hard to follow. I haven't managed to make it past halfway through the second season. I thought it worth trying to go back and watch again and still found it too hard to follow. Interesting that some here have indicated S3 may make it worth it, but still unsure. I appreciate a show that will challenge me, but it has semed a little convoluted for its own sake.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I appreciate a show that will challenge me, but it has semed a little convoluted for its own sake.
This is how I feel about it too. I loved season 1 (because Anthony Hopkins), but have liked each subsequent season less and less.

My husband and I will probably watch season 4 out of habit, although we haven't started yet. Want to finish the current season of The Umbrella Academy first (another show I'm enjoying less than in prior seasons).

Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I like Westworld but find it very hard to follow. I haven't managed to make it past halfway through the second season. I thought it worth trying to go back and watch again and still found it too hard to follow. Interesting that some here have indicated S3 may make it worth it, but still unsure. I appreciate a show that will challenge me, but it has semed a little convoluted for its own sake.

S3 is THE MOST confusing of them all.
I simply gave up and watched it strictly for CGI and Delores. One thing you can't take away from it is that show is very well made.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Like many here, I loved S1. I thought S2 was still very good, just not as good as S1. S3 was a bit of a mess, all over the place, but still an enjoyable watch.

I thought they did a good job with the S4 opener. Gave us enough of a taste to keep me watching. You always have that "are they real or not" question when you watch this show, but this first episode kept it interesting, not confusing.

So this new Dolores, or rather, Christina. Is she another Dolores, or is this perhaps the real human Dolores was based on?

Old 06-29-2022, 06:26 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
This show has the exact same problem that LOST had years ago: The people making it obviously had a great vision for Season 1 and where that storyline was headed. But they didn't have anything else. So they are kind of floundering all over the place. And they did a reasonably good job of the surprise reveal in Season 1 that in every season since they feel obligated to try even more convoluted surprises. They are Shyamalaning the story.

Surprising and delighting your audience is great. Leaving your audience in a constant state of confusion is not. Season 2 was confusing and wandered all over the place with no real apparent point. Season 3 seemed to be headed somewhere and had some nice character moments but was still overly concerned with being clever. It's hard to stay engaged.

But yes, the cast is great. Great actors all around, and Evan Rachel Wood is undoubtedly one of the most elegantly beautiful actresses working today. And the show looks fantastic. I just wish the substance lived up to the style.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:00 AM

I find myself turning to YouTube after each episode and watching the episode breakdown videos to see what I am missing or just did not get. YouTube has become my "Cliff Notes" for shows and movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV