Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
.Especially liked the hilarious intros with old fashioned telephone rings and recordings. A favorite was the old lady who calls, rambles on for a bit, and then says, "Is this a machine? I don't talk to machines!" and then hangs up.
Oh, yeah, those were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Great show and a part of my childhood for sure. His lawyer/girlfriend, Beth, was a good recurring character too and another looker.
Yeah, but it was kind of weird, at one point she just vanished off the show, didn't she? I always wondered if it was because of a "contract dispute."

And then they'd have her and Jim getting romantic at times, and then the next episode, Jim would be romancing someone else. And then the next episode after that, it was him and Beth again. Were they friends-with-benefits, or, I should ask, attorney/client-with-benefits?

It did seem like there were subtle hints that she wanted more from Jim but could never get it. So maybe that's why. I don't remember exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Cannon was a good show especially when he used his belly to knock down his attackers or Baranaby Jones where he comes out of retirement to help his kid run the agency.

Forgot about Cannon! Wonder why MeTv or Decades hasn't picked up that show, or am I missing something?

Old 08-10-2016, 05:37 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Oh, yeah, those were great.

Yeah, but it was kind of weird, at one point she just vanished off the show, didn't she? I always wondered if it was because of a "contract dispute."

And then they'd have her and Jim getting romantic at times, and then the next episode, Jim would be romancing someone else. And then the next episode after that, it was him and Beth again. Were they friends-with-benefits, or, I should ask, attorney/client-with-benefits?

It did seem like there were subtle hints that she wanted more from Jim but could never get it. So maybe that's why. I don't remember exactly.
Sort of a contract dispute but she was collateral damage. She was under the studio contract system and the network cutting cost made the studio cut their cost, meaning reoccurring character Beth played by Gretchen Corbett was cut.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Sort of a contract dispute but she was collateral damage. She was under the studio contract system and the network cutting cost made the studio cut their cost, meaning reoccurring character Beth played by Gretchen Corbett was cut.
That's too bad. I liked her character.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:49 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Forgot about Cannon! Wonder why MeTv or Decades hasn't picked up that show, or am I missing something?
I thought that I have seen the promos somewhere advertising a crime fighters block. But recently may have been a couple of years and it is being rested again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, it definitely was noticeable with his bad knees. I heard he had two or three knee surgeries. Later episodes he's running and it's pretty obvious he's got some problem, I often wondered why they did so many chase scenes with him running, You figured they could have shot it in way didn't really show as many far away shots where he was limping a bit, IDK, seems like they could have been a bit more creative because I ended google searching about him and found about his knee problems as it was so obvious in some episodes.

The show supposedly had a high budget for production, especially for being TV and back In the day, but there was quite a few blooper type things where you could see the cheesy production value. One episode someone falls from a roof and it was filmed in a way that you could clearly see the dummy being thrown from the roof. LOL, especially if you freeze the screen, it was almost laughable. Car chase scenes you could tell they took retakes as you'd see skid marks in the same pattern, little things like that, but overall I really liked the show. I was actually a pretty little kid in the 70's and really remember watching it bit more during the later reruns of the series. Good stuff. Of course on Netflix we just watched the entire series and finished that up a little while ago. They did a few reunion type movies in the 80's and 90's I think it was, got those in the queue and should be coming up. I heard that they weren't as good, but whatever, we will still check them out.
I now wonder why his being a wounded and partially disabled not just a Korean War vet wasn't written in to the show. Must have been the ethics of the day as if they did then the show becomes a junior Ironside. But since his injuries were not widely known they had the show try to fit the Mannix template of a detective with Rockford/Garner limping/running away after he delivered the one pinch to break contact as a last resort

Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Rockford was a "bottom feeder" who only got work from people who were turned down from reputable agencies. He was willing to use unethical means to work his cases and had a friend in the police department (Dennis ) to watch his back when he went too far. Being an ex-con probably hurt his ability to get better clients.

Don't know if I'd call Jim Rockford a "bottom feeder". The guy clearly was good enough at what he did and considering no one would give him a shot at any sort of good legit job (as an ex-con), he worked with what he had.

Like other television LE or PI of the 1970's (Kojak, McCloud, Colombo,) Jim Rockford is smart enough to put two and two together even if thrown off the scent at first. The guy clearly had talents, but again as with the real world of 1970's people heard "ex-con" and that was that.

Thing I like about Rockford File is that JR isn't on some vendetta or whatever to get revenge on his frame up. Again the guy just plays the hand he is dealt and moves on.....

As for unethical means, well there was plenty of that on other shows with LE/private investigators. Kojak bends rules, ignores direct orders from supervisors etc... McCloud's boss clearly wants to ream is behind back to the woods, but the guy gets results.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Cannon was a good show especially when he used his belly to knock down his attackers or Baranaby Jones where he comes out of retirement to help his kid run the agency.

Don't know why but whenever watching "Highway Patrol" think of Cannon. Maybe because Broderick Crawford looks as if he's going to keel over after running a few yards! *LOL* he tries to play it all macho but without a gun Dan Mathews would probably get his behind whipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV