Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

My husband and I saw a commercial for this show: Paul McKennan, author and PhD will be the host of a show called, "I Can Make You Thin".

We set the DVR to record this show. If it really works the way he claims it, we stand to lose a few pounds. If not, we're just going to enjoy the laughter involved with something so funny. I'm not trying to offend anyone... but using the TV to help people lose weight seems like an ironic idea. Though I am curious to see how he sets this up.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Whether it really works or not I don't know but I do know he uses hypnosis a lot. He helped Ellen DeGeneres quit smoking, and helps people in the UK to lose weight.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
Quote:
I do know he uses hypnosis a lot.
Ohh is that how it works? I saw this promo and wondering how it worked too. When's the premier again?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I think it's March 16th. I saw a promo for it the other day.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Ohh is that how it works? I saw this promo and wondering how it worked too. When's the premier again?
I don't know if he tries to hypnotise the at-home audience, that seems kind of risky to me, I really don't know what he will do on the show.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM

So, I had a chance to view the show last night. ((I love DVR))

I was actually impressed from what I saw. He started the show by showing video of his watchers getting weighed. The entire weight of his audience was like 45,000 lbs or so. The show starts with this to really tune in the fact that..... that's a LOT of weight. Sort of a Scare-Tactic.

Basically, there are four golden rules to weight loss that he, Paul McKenna, reinforces with the studio audience and the viewers at home many times over. He uses visual appeal, examples, and "homework".

These rules are direct from his mouth.. But the explanation is mine.

1) If you're hungry, eat - Basically, he explained the "duh" factor of eating. If you don't eat, your body freaks out and goes into starvation mode… making you store more fats from the foods you do eat. With this, he furthered this statement with a diagram of "fullness." This diagram ranged from Ravenous (really really hungry) all the way to Nauseous (overly bloated). He said to stay within the "Pretty Hungry" to "Satisfied" range for optimum results.

This results in not freaking your body out and/or binge eating.

2) Eat what you want - Contrary to most diets that explain you should only eat certain things, Paul McKenna explained that if you crave chocolate cake…. Eat chocolate cake. From this, if you satisfy your hunger with foods you like, you don't end up binging on cake/other later. He also gave his studio and television audience an "assignment" to throw away all foods from the pantry/fridge/freezer that they did not "like".

3) Eat Consciously - We eat our foods too fast and don't realize we're full until we're "stuffed". That's not good. So, he basically said to chew your food 20x before swallowing. This will allow us to slow the "happy" hormones in our brains to the point where the brain can tell when the stomache is full. Basically, we have to make sure to "put the knife and fork down"

4) When you think you are full, stop eating - He also said that many people were raised to clean their plates. It was discussed that our memberships to the "Clean Plate Club" needs to be terminated. If you even think that you are full, you should stop eating just to make sure. If you aren't sure and want to be on the safe side….. Close your eyes and eat.

Basically - If you're hungry, eat what you want slowly, and stop eating when you're no longer hungry. So far, this show is proving to be really great. He throws in some humor and such to bring the audience in deeper to his words. His charisma draws in everybody - a real likeable guy.

Interesting idea. Great follow-through.

Stay tuned for my synopsis of the next episode ((Which basically means, it impressed me enough that it will stay on my Record-List))

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
hmm when is this show on?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM

It's on TLC

Each episode will come on 4 times:

Sunday 9pm
Monday 12am
Friday 11pm
Saturday 1pm

So, you'll be able to catch this specific episode on either Friday or Saturday.

Also, I did some looking.. Every episode will play in succession on April 13.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,487 times
Cool Nothing New Here!

So you thought this was great huh? Well, these so called "NEW" ideas and tips are not! This is the basis to many public diet companies like Weight Watchers, TOPS, LA Weightloss, etc... Even those expensive "buy your food from us and eat all you want" commercials you see on TV are based on these principals. Eat only what you need, eat slower, concentrate on your meal not TV, etc....Like the title says
"NOTHING NEW HERE"

To be fair, though, if you have been living under a rock, or are new to the thought of losing weight, then this program probably is impressive. However, any reasonably intelligent, literate person must know what is good for them to eat and what is not. It is whether or not you want to commit to changing bad habits and fixing all those stupid little things in your life that you use as excuses for why you are the way you are...

Off my soapbox now!

Last edited by JazzyL; 03-20-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: More thoughts came to me

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyL View Post

To be fair, though, if you have been living under a rock, or are new to the thought of losing weight, then this program probably is impressive. However, any reasonably intelligent, literate person must know what is good for them to eat and what is not. It is whether or not you want to commit to changing bad habits and fixing all those stupid little things in your life that you use as excuses for why you are the way you are...

Off my soapbox now!
Slam! Forgive people not quite so perfect as yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV