Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 07:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Again, not that I could last that long but as the seasons continue, the fatigue, loss of weight, hunger is starting to diminish.

White teeth, jewelry, rings, nail polish, etc. show just how these seasons are evolving. Seasons past has the people competing emaciated, dirty and downright worn out.

These guys are constantly eating, no need to boil water and they do lounge around quite a bit.

Three weeks for 1m and even losing they have gotten their 15 minutes of fame.

While it is still enjoyable to watch you have to remind yourself it is scripted, and thousands of hours of video are edited to reflect what the producers want you to see.

It is no longer the Blair Witch Project, these guys know how to play to the camera, and if they don't they are told how to portray themselves and then the dialog is dubbed in.
In terms of the emotional break-downs at the family visits - it's so ingrained into the contestants at this point on how they should be acting, from previous shows, that they can flow the tears practically on cue and really mean it. It's like "this is how I should feel, because this is how I've seen it be portrayed, thus this is how I will feel." It's "Pavolv's dogs" classic conditioning.

No, no one need break down into a quivering mass of tears at 3 weeks, but at this point if you don't you potentially look like a heartless cold SOB on national TV! You don't want to be THAT GUY.

The show isn't scripted, but yeah they have perfected all the editing tricks, and subtle manipulations that go with reality TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
I don't get this 'lying business' at all. What a strange concept. Fiction is not lying. As to Survivor, I very much doubt it's scripted. Is it edited? Of course. And edited to get what the producers think is interesting to watch. They do a good job of it but it's certainly not lying. That would be something else entirely.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I think the responses to seeing Loved Ones are genuine. But having said that I wish they wouldn't have the visits in the first place. For me, it just detracts from the game of Survivor and is a waste of air time. Of course it plays upon the emotional fragility of some of the players and apparently some viewers like watching that but I don't.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:48 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful1 View Post

Well JKK - What you say does make a lotta sense to me, and I am a logical person. I especially liked "Put another way, it's storytelling with cavalier regard for reality." This is nicely stated. It appears you have some association with or knowledge of - the tv/movie industry? Although living in SoCal - this is an area in which I have no familiarity. I am aware that after a season ends - some contestants do make appearances in and on media, but this is not something that I have personally observed. Perhaps one of the posters here has seen or read such exposure directly from the contestant and now knows of such "manipulation" having actually taken place? My personal exposure was solely when Richard Hatch was busted for not paying tax on his mil. Soooo - anyone out there hear directly from "the horse's mouth" of dubbing or twisted/changed dialogue??
Rob Cesternino was a contestant on Seasons 6 The Amazon -- came in 3rd & Season 8 All-Stars -- 3rd one voted out -- and has had a podcast for years covering many shows, one of them Survivor. He frequently has former contestants on and they go deep into the who, what, where, when and how of all things Survivor. I've learned a lot about the tricks of Survivor filming, production, editing, rewards, challenges, immunity, "in the moment testimonals", contestant alliances and relationships from the guests on his show, and from him as a contestant.

http://robhasawebsite.com/

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
I am not enamored of any of the remaining contestants. I really don't like Michaela, Andrea, Sierra, Sarah or Aubrey, although Aubrey is being played down by the editing which makes me think she may be a finalist. I feel like the editing is also leaning toward Sarah as a finalist, if not winner. I love Tai, but can't see him winning. I also like Troyzan and can tolerate Brad. But, I would be really thrilled to see Cirie win. For some reason, I really like her. If I were able to choose F3, I'd choose Troyzan 3rd, Tai 2nd, and Cirie as winner. Most likely won't happen, though.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Rob Cesternino was a contestant on Seasons 6 The Amazon -- came in 3rd & Season 8 All-Stars -- 3rd one voted out -- and has had a podcast for years covering many shows, one of them Survivor. He frequently has former contestants on and they go deep into the who, what, where, when and how of all things Survivor. I've learned a lot about the tricks of Survivor filming, production, editing, rewards, challenges, immunity, "in the moment testimonals", contestant alliances and relationships from the guests on his show, and from him as a contestant.

http://robhasawebsite.com/
Yay, homie!!!!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I am not enamored of any of the remaining contestants. I really don't like Michaela, Andrea, Sierra, Sarah or Aubrey, although Aubrey is being played down by the editing which makes me think she may be a finalist. I feel like the editing is also leaning toward Sarah as a finalist, if not winner. I love Tai, but can't see him winning. I also like Troyzan and can tolerate Brad. But, I would be really thrilled to see Cirie win. For some reason, I really like her. If I were able to choose F3, I'd choose Troyzan 3rd, Tai 2nd, and Cirie as winner. Most likely won't happen, though.
I like Cirie's game this season, I never liked her before. Other seasons she was arrogant, this one she is very subtle, even meek appearing, but still playing the game. She may be getting a "winners" edit. Sandra, a lady with similar playing styles (physically weak, playing the game behind the scenes) should take some lessons for next time because clearly her changed approach of prancing around saying "I'm still the queen" didn't exactly work for her.

Aubrey has almost disappeared this game, she's had a run of bad luck and being on the losing side of alliances almost from day one...however she's still around. But even in the previous season she was a late-comer and only got lots of screen time in the last portions of the game. Her strategy, laying low until near the end, might very well be the best approach as anyone even appearing like they are making moves will not survive long in this season's game.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Yes, a winner's edit so far for Sarah

Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM

52 posts, read 29,572 times
I'm still rooting for old Tai to win the mil. At the last TC - I was a bit concerned when he did not play one of his idols. Evidently, he was sufficiently confident in how the vote was going down. Let's see how it goes tonite. :-)

Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful1 View Post
I'm still rooting for old Tai to win the mil. At the last TC - I was a bit concerned when he did not play one of his idols. Evidently, he was sufficiently confident in how the vote was going down. Let's see how it goes tonite. :-)
Maybe at the beginning of the vote. I saw fear in his face when his name was read for the 3rd time.

I was hoping he would go out with two in his pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV