Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ABC is reviving NYPD Blue while simultaneously killing off one of the show’s iconic leading men. TVLine has learned that the Alphabet network has placed a pilot order for a new version of the seminal cop drama, this one revolving around Theo, the son of Andy Sipowicz (played by the original series’ star Dennis Franz).

The (dark) twist at the center of the potential new series? The plot would find Theo trying to earn his detective shield and work in the 15th squad while… investigating his father’s murder. (R.I.P., Sipowicz Sr.!) Theo’s mom Sylvia Costas-Sipowicz (as played by Sharon Lawrence) also died tragically; she was shot and killed at the end of Season 6. Her final words to husband Andy were, “Take care of the baby.”

The revival is being shepherded by Matt Olmstead and Nick Wootton, both of whom worked on the original NYPD Blue. Jesse Bochco, son of late franchise co-creator Steven Bocho, will direct the pilot. Dayna Bochco, Steven’s widow, will serve as a producer on the project.
https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/nypd-b...CfsySOfZ1shtOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
Interesting. There are so many cop shows now, though - we'll see how it stands out.

I loved NYPD Blue when it was on. I watched every episode. However, it's not a show I feel like watching on re-runs, though.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:24 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Interesting. There are so many cop shows now, though - we'll see how it stands out.

I loved NYPD Blue when it was on.
I watched every episode. However, it's not a show I feel like watching on re-runs, though.

Me too! It's funny, when David Caruso left I thought 'so much for that' but went on to really enjoy Dennis Franz as the center-point of the show, I think filling his shoes is gonna be a tall order.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Me too! It's funny, when David Caruso left I thought 'so much for that' but went on to really enjoy Dennis Franz as the center-point of the show, I think filling his shoes is gonna be a tall order.

I watched the show because of Caruso initially. I liked him in an old 80s movie called China Girl. He also had a part in The King of New York.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Hmmmm, I only watched the show as part of a psychology research project at the turn of the century. Generally, while it was okay to tune into, I never found it particularly exciting to keep up with it.

One thing I will give it, though, is that it was rather even handed on how it showed male and female officers, from showing them both equally packing to coming to each others rescue.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
I don't know.

I loved NYPD Blue and it was what it was because of its key players. With none of them returning, it's a crap-shoot but with higher than usual expectations from the get-go because of its history.

IMO, that was Caruso's best role and performance of his career. As for Sipowicz, what can you say? There will never be another. On a side note, though, the way the show ended with his "promotion" was anti-climactic. Sipowicz needs to be Sipowicz, for the sake of his own sanity as well as the show's stellar entertainment value.

Anyway, I'm skeptical, but will certainly give it a look. But I think they'd have a better chance with a fresh, new show standing on its own, as was the original NYPD Blue and as Chicago PD is, which is excellent.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't know.

I loved NYPD Blue and it was what it was because of its key players. With none of them returning, it's a crap-shoot but with higher than usual expectations from the get-go because of its history.

IMO, that was Caruso's best role and performance of his career. As for Sipowicz, what can you say? There will never be another. On a side note, though, the way the show ended with his "promotion" was anti-climactic. Sipowicz needs to be Sipowicz, for the sake of his own sanity as well as the show's stellar entertainment value.

Anyway, I'm skeptical, but will certainly give it a look. But I think they'd have a better chance with a fresh, new show standing on its own, as was the original NYPD Blue and as Chicago PD is, which is excellent.
IDK, sounds to me it IS a new show, just the same name. Completely different cast, different stories. The main theme being Andy jr. looking for Sip's killer.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
I liked this show a lot during the 90s, one of the few that I tried not to miss or would tape.

Another show with a great casting director. All of the guest stars in each episode were very believable as either criminal or victim or witness. Good cops and bad cops. Those were the last days when a cop could lay a hand on a suspect while other cops looked away. It also captured the atmosphere of NYC in those days. Of course, Bochico kept claiming proudly how he was "pushing the envelope," especially with the bare tushies. That became a joke.

I wish that they kept the Sipowicz character alive so that Denis Franz could make an occasional guest appearance.

The success of the show will depend on the writing. It can be a completely different show that cashes in on the brand. Although we only saw Theo as a little boy, it's kind of what they did to Trapper John or Lou Grant-use a brand to draw in the audience, but completely revamp it.

Now the question is who is going to play the new Kojak?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I liked this show a lot during the 90s, one of the few that I tried not to miss or would tape.

Another show with a great casting director. All of the guest stars in each episode were very believable as either criminal or victim or witness. Good cops and bad cops. Those were the last days when a cop could lay a hand on a suspect while other cops looked away. It also captured the atmosphere of NYC in those days. Of course, Bochico kept claiming proudly how he was "pushing the envelope," especially with the bare tushies. That became a joke.

I wish that they kept the Sipowicz character alive so that Denis Franz could make an occasional guest appearance.

The success of the show will depend on the writing. It can be a completely different show that cashes in on the brand. Although we only saw Theo as a little boy, it's kind of what they did to Trapper John or Lou Grant-use a brand to draw in the audience, but completely revamp it.

Now the question is who is going to play the new Kojak?
Wholeheartedly agree - that would be a huge draw. And it has been said that Franz would be interested in returning to acting, given the right opportunity. It's hard to imagine a better opportunity.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
now this one I might be interested in watching but I don't know could give it a look see . are they really bringing back kojak ? omg telly savalas is the one and only Kojak no thank you . It would ruin the memory to see someone else play Kojak .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV