Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:08 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience with Sling TV? My cable bill is now over $100/month including equipment charges. I don't watch most of the channels so I just signed up for a 7-day trial of Sling TV. So far I like it and the cost is only $25/month with no equipment rental fees. So far I'm impressed with the picture quality and ease of use via my Roku player. Does anyone have any long term experience with Sling? Is the service reliable? Any other issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,988,717 times
In 2015 and 2016 I subscribed for a month to watch the NFL draft in April. This is the first year I'll be able to watch NFL Network on it also. They've increased the number of channels available and the reliability is much better than it was (I signed up for the free trial again in February). I stream it on Roku.

Have to admit I don't watch the other channels included. It only serves my needs to watch the NFL Combine in late February, the NFL draft, and now that they have NFL Network I might pay for it during the NFL season.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,800,781 times
We have two homes (snowbirds) and use Sling and Roku. Very happy with the service.

Rich

Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
We've had it a couple years now. Works as advertised. Have been pleased with it.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 PM

465 posts, read 304,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Does anyone here have experience with Sling TV? My cable bill is now over $100/month including equipment charges. I don't watch most of the channels so I just signed up for a 7-day trial of Sling TV. So far I like it and the cost is only $25/month with no equipment rental fees. So far I'm impressed with the picture quality and ease of use via my Roku player. Does anyone have any long term experience with Sling? Is the service reliable? Any other issues?
My advice to you. Get rid of cable, up your internet speed a bit and get Sling TV. Also get an indoor HD antenna while you're at it.

Last June, I got rid of cable, purchased a fire stick and purchased Sling TV. I'll swear by Sling. It allows you to get your basic and get additional packages. Changing your TV package is very simple too. For example, I started off with the basic but when September came around I expanded my package to include college football & basketball. It actually included more than my basic cable package for less the cost. Since college basketball is done, I just switched back to the basic which is $20 a month.

Streaming will be the future and this is a great start if you're looking to cut the cord.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Since college basketball is done, I just switched back to the basic which is $20 a month.
I think you have hit the nail on the head as to one of the big advantages of Sling, the relative ease to which you can expand your selection to pursue an interest, or the ability to shrink it if you don't have a lot of cash at the moment. You can even not pay for a few weeks if you are out of town or you want to take a break from television, or simply concentrate on your Netflix.

My Cable Costs per month
$99 for triple play basic TV, phone , and 50 Mbps internet
$22 for equipment rental (3 boxes for television, 1 box for music television, and 1 modem)
$24 for television surcharges (entertainment, sports, and broadcast). Really a ridiculous surcharge.
$19 for other taxes and fees

In contrast I called my cable company and said money was tight, how much would the bill go down if I dropped back from all nationwide cable channels to just the local broadcast channels. They said they would drop the bill by $15.

Sling TV gives you one Roku Express for free if you prepay two months of service. You can buy additional ones for $30 apiece. That saves you that outrageous equipment rental fees.
Sling costs about the same as just the cable television surcharges.

The best Roku only costs $120. That gives you the ability to connect via Cat5e wire if you have poor wifi in your home. You can also get 4K video, do mirror cast from your phone, and play games.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,878 times
SLing and sports? I want to watch Horse racing, MLB, and College football. Any experience on them? Cost?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
You can see what channels are offered here.
https://www.sling.com/

Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You can see what channels are offered here.
https://www.sling.com/
Thnx. Looking more for actual experience watching

Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times
I tried Sling during the 7 day trial, and actually ended up going with Playstation Vue. Similar service, but had more of the channels I wanted. That said, I love Vue, and I had no problem with Sling.

YouTube TV just announced last week, so that is another player in this category (DirecTV Now is a fourth service).

Also, like someone earlier said, get yourself a good inside antenna, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV