Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 10:45 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I liked the original until it started to get crazy.

I really liked the new reboot. The second episode was better. Clever writing made it very contemporary. I didn't laugh at every joke, but overall, it was pretty funny and like someone else said, they took equal shots at both sides. I liked how it poked fun of the original show and the real lives of the actors, demonstrating a sense of humor and not taking themselves too seriously. Will definitely keep watching. Wow, Becky is 43! Both Beckys looked great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I agree. I enjoyed the original and found the reboot just as good.
Loved the grandkid and Dan's interactions with him.

I'm politically liberal and despise Trump but that doesn't get in the way of my enjoying a good show.
I thought it was very good.. Far better than what I expected when I first heard about this a year or so ago.

I enjoyed it. Is it the greatest thing I've ever seen on TV? No, but I did laugh more than a few times.. i thought the whole political thing was handled very well.. It was not overbearing in any way and was certainly not a main plot point.. The twist that Roseanne bullied Jackie into voting for Jill Stein was funny. I did laugh at the line "I know you just want to help people.. And are very bad at math"..

It was quite unrealistic that the kid got caught at school with a knife and was back the next day.. In today's world he would have been arrested and attending an alternative school.

The writing for Jackie was pretty bad.. She was one of the best characters on the original run and it was almost like they were trying too hard with her. Hopefully that gets better.

I don't think this would have the legs to go 26 episodes a season.. But.. a 10 episode run seems about right.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 PM

911 posts, read 262,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm
Just watched the first episode. They definitely just "mailed it in". The acting was terrible and you see Rosanne and the rest of the cast staring at their cue cards.
Ahhhhh its no surprise but its sad they lost it........ I thought they were gonna care as much as they did in the 90s about thier show!

Old 03-28-2018, 04:18 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
My husband and I really enjoyed both episodes, but especially the second. I don't agree with those saying it was "mailed in." IMHO, the characters have aged and progressed as they should.

Anyone complaining about Laurie Metcalf's overacting either didn't see the original series or have forgotten how over the top Jackie has always been.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hated the old show, but actually enjoyed watching the new one. Clever writing...

All the actors seem comfortable. That means even better shows down the line-- once actors settle into a groove.

Just watched one of the first episodes of Seinfeld -- good example of what I'm talking about. All the actors seemed awkward and stiff. This new show is really good right out of the starting gate. If they can keep the momentum, the skies the limit. I see future of Emmy awards.

Also, this is one of the few shows that actually is an equal opportunity offender -thereby becoming neutral as far as political correct or incorrectness. No one view is vilified or canonized.

As weird as it sounds, I think it could help bring this country together instead of further dividing it.
I thought the same thing.

I'm a liberal as is my husband but Roseanne's cracks about Jackie and liberals were hilarious.

What's that sound? People laughing at themselves? Could it be?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:35 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I watched all of it and I loved it and I'm glad they are back ....John Goodman looks really good with most of that weight gone . Roseanne looks good too since she lost a lot of weight too . The kids were a hoot .

Old 03-28-2018, 05:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I liked the original until it started to get crazy.
I agree. The first 2 or 3 seasons were good, then around the time Roseanne lost weight and straightened her hair is when it got kinda trashy.

A few things on the new show have me confused though. Are they acting like the whole lottery thing never happened? I remember when the original show ended they had remodeled the whole house to look different, but now it’s back like it was. Also, why did they take Becky’s old boyfriend’s name and give it to Darlene’s child?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. The first 2 or 3 seasons were good, then around the time Roseanne lost weight and straightened her hair is when it got kinda trashy.

A few things on the new show have me confused though. Are they acting like the whole lottery thing never happened? I remember when the original show ended they had remodeled the whole house to look different, but now it’s back like it was. Also, why did they take Becky’s old boyfriend’s name and give it to Darlene’s child?
David was Darlene's boyfriend, then husband.

Mark was Becky's boyfriend, then husband. The actor who played him in the original series passed away in 2002 so the new reboot wrote it in that Becky is now a widow.

The whole lottery/Dan dying thing was chalked up to a manuscript that Roseanne wrote. They made a joke about the storyline in the first scene with Roseanne saying, "I thought you were dead. You looked so happy."

Old 03-28-2018, 06:07 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
I thought the first episode was a little forced. It seemed like almost every line was an attempt at caustic humor.

The second episode was a little more natural and hopefully it continues along this path.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
I enjoyed and will continue to watch

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You do know Roseanne Conner is a role played by an actor, right? And how can you hate a character or a show you’ve never even seen?
It is the actor not the character I despise......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV