Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

I was pleasantly surprised by how funny/entertaining the show is. I didn't care for the original from what I recall, but will now be watching this one (I previously didn't have any plans to watch).

Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
I thought it was classic Roseanne, unlike what some recent revivals have been and haven been pretty bad (Girl Meets World, Fuller House).

I think it's annoying though that I'm seeing all of these hate articles on the show because Roseanne voted for Trump and all this stuff about how she's trying to "normalize" Trump....When in reality....Trump IS the President and she's hitting on the current times.

I'm kinda glad to see it back and hope they keep it up.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:26 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I thought it was classic Roseanne, unlike what some recent revivals have been and haven been pretty bad (Girl Meets World, Fuller House).
I agree it's classic Roseanne and classic '80s/'90s comedy. It's like a modern time warp. I disagree with you on Fuller House. I like it better than I initially thought I would.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

I think it's annoying though that I'm seeing all of these hate articles on the show because Roseanne voted for Trump and all this stuff about how she's trying to "normalize" Trump....When in reality....Trump IS the President and she's hitting on the current times.

I'm kinda glad to see it back and hope they keep it up.

If that's the criterion for programming, I'll remind you that the successful original show didn't "hit on current times" by including material about Bush dad or Clinton; that's the way it should be.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:55 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If that's the criterion for programming, I'll remind you that the successful original show didn't "hit on current times" by including material about Bush dad or Clinton; that's the way it should be.

Actually, it did.

The original run never focused on specific politicians that I can recall, but made many statements about political issues. It was quite ahead of its time on many social issues.

It's a reflection on the times. Back in the 90's.. People actually remembered that the president didn't control the world. Significant influence, yes..

One of the 'companion' shows, Grace Under Fire, did it a bit more but again, never focused on a specific politician, other than a handful of references to Newt Gingrich.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yeah, I agree with the above poster. The original Roseanne always tackled specific social issues at the time, like lgbt, racism, etc.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I just saw an old re-run and there were plenty of jokes about Clinton. Roseanne touched on many topical issues of the time and if it involved a President's name, then it was part of the joke. When the show first aired, it depicted life in middle America Rust Belt for a working class family. Eerily, life hasn't changed much there, especially economically, probably a bit more socially.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Actually, it did.

The original run never focused on specific politicians that I can recall, but made many statements about political issues. It was quite ahead of its time on many social issues.

It's a reflection on the times. Back in the 90's.. People actually remembered that the president didn't control the world. Significant influence, yes..

One of the 'companion' shows, Grace Under Fire, did it a bit more but again, never focused on a specific politician, other than a handful of references to Newt Gingrich.

Actually, then, it didnt. Because what I specifically made reference to, were comments...dialogue... about specific politicians.

Obviously, sitcoms and other programming reflect the mores and conventions of their time, and address issues as plot devices.

But rehashing elections, arguing about politicians, and promoting one party or candidate over another regardless of who it is...sucks moose balls.

I watch Meet the Press for that; I don't expect it, nor do I want it, from a passel of sitcom writers.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
I assume Rosanne & dans parents are deceased. I wonder what happened to crystal & the gay male & female couples ? The final season of Rosanne was terrible (after she won the lottery) & Rosanne did say in the series finale that dan died. The show is on tonight & I am looking forward to it. The original series ran for 9 yrs from 10/88 to 5/97. It is cool to see the original cast back after 20+ yrs.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Meh. I lost interest in it back when it was on and so far, nothing has rekindled my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.