Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,021,742 times

Advertisements

No more worries about Roseanne. She got her new show canceled immediately this afternoon due to Twitter comments.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
This is a no brainer cancel for ABC. They don't like Roseanne's comment sure, but the issues keeping Roseanne on for season 2 would cause problems with the network overall. Instead of boycotting Roseanne, they'd boycott the network. Roseanne is old enough and wise enough to not say such things, but at the same time, she's earned her opinion. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, but we do have the freedom to speak how we feel. There's just consequences to the things that we say. That's the thing many people don't realize. Every action comes with a reaction.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
This comes and goes.. Freedom of speech doesn't mean there's no consequences for what you say. There's a long list of people who learn this the hard way.. Dixie Chicks, Duck Dynasty guys, the guy at the Chick-Fil-A drive thru, the woman "screaming" at Arlington National Cemetery..

I was hopeful that a longer season 2 might clean up some of the problems with S1. But.. I'll mildly miss it. Not the end of the world.

Roseanne is somewhat crazy.. Part of what makes her funny. Guessing she went off her meds last night for a while or something.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Nooooooooo! I really like the show. And personally I think cutting everyone off from their livelihood because of their personal opinions/comments/religious beliefs/political leanings, etc. has gotten way out of hand.

Whatever happened to Patrick Henry: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”?
she can still say what she wants. ABC doesn't have to condone/participate.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Nooooooooo! I really like the show. And personally I think cutting everyone off from their livelihood because of their personal opinions/comments/religious beliefs/political leanings, etc. has gotten way out of hand.

Whatever happened to Patrick Henry: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”?
Nobody has taken away her right to state her opinions. But stating opinions sometimes has consequences. When I was working (now retired), there were things I couldn't say or do and still stay in good standing in my job. That's what was lacking -- a sense of public responsibility.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,950 times
what she tweeted was awful. but i don't think the show should have been canceled over this. all of the other actors are now out of their job because of what she said? she shouldn't have said it. but i think there should have been some other consequence for it. not canceling the whole show. wow.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
When will people realize that having an opinion and sharing an opinion are completely different things? And if you're going to share your opinion, you'd better be prepared to deal with the consequences. I have no sympathy when you get kicked in the teeth (figuratively speaking).

In this situation, the only people who I have sympathy for are the people whose livelihoods depend on Roseanne not being her typically repugnant self. Of course, they had to know there was a chance of exactly this happening when they decided to take the gig.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
what she tweeted was awful. but i don't think the show should have been canceled over this. all of the other actors are now out of their job because of what she said? she shouldn't have said it. but i think there should have been some other consequence for it. not canceling the whole show. wow.
ABC is taking a beating because of it. They really were left with no choice.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When will people realize that having an opinion and sharing an opinion are completely different things? And if you're going to share your opinion, you'd better be prepared to deal with the consequences. I have no sympathy when you get kicked in the teeth (figuratively speaking).

In this situation, the only people who I have sympathy for are the people whose livelihoods depend on Roseanne not being her typically repugnant self. Of course, they had to know there was a chance of exactly this happening when they decided to take the gig.
I agree.

I think Roseanne truly thought she as being funny and made a joke in horribly poor taste and knows better. Anymore when that happens it spreads quickly and the consequences come even faster.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:

I agree. But in liberal Hollyweird, the only acceptable targets remaining, even for comedians, are white males. Anyone who thinks her tweet was worse than other comments directed at those lefties consider repugnant, has been living under a rock.

The biggest joke amidst all of this, is that Wanda Sykes, of all people, a head Roseanne writer, picked up her marbles and went home. Yeah, Wanda Sykes. There's not enough room here to list everyone she's offended in the past. But then...you get the picture.

These people all deserve each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV