Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times

Advertisements

Now, I'll be honest. I'm 25 and I get nostalgic about watching regular cable TV, not the streaming that's trying to destroy it today. I still think the status quo of cable as it is currently, that's a contributor also. It's so sad to see regular cable lineups being destroyed by the same old reruns. I'm going to die from boredom because it's so ubiquitous these days, I wish "old" TV will just go back to it's roots.

If you want to see anything back past than a certain decade being rerun or broadcast on a regular TV channel, it's generally not being broadcast on any TV channels at all, it's in inconvenient time slots, or it's available only on some obscure channel or a subscription-channel. Am I the only one who notices that there has been many shows that have been broadcast on a regular TV channel at some point throughout history, but haven't been seen on any regular channels in years or even decades? I mean, good luck finding for example, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon from the 1980s or a good part of old shows on Nickelodeon being reran on any of these channels nowadays, if they are on any of those obscure channels at all. I wonder if there is any sort of politics behind this trend?

Actually, cable and satellite TV watchers overseas seem like they are being more spoiled. I am not an expert here, but overseas "regular TV" (like in Europe) viewing options seem more likely to have reruns of older or relatively more obscure shows that haven't been seen on American television for decades.

Then, there is also the vibe I get when I see television being more censored and regulated in a big way (for key phrase) than it was at any time in the past. There is supposed to be more things you can get away with broadcasting on TV now than 40 years ago and back, but there has been a huge rise in later years about complaints and people being more offended by certain subject matters, especially after the Super Bowl in 2004 was broadcast. I wasn't even quite born yet, but I think it may have started during the 80's. Early 90's at the latest. Yet again, most other developed countries overseas are more relaxed about these subjects.

I also miss our local station's programming growing up. I've become somewhat of a connoisseur of local TV news shows across the country. In the city where I live, the local anchors/reporters and other staff want to come here only as a stepping stone to move up to bigger cities, and the product and presentation looks totally like a bad college production.

I may be feeling nostalgia right now, but I also strongly believe in saving it, and God please spare us from the darkness that the future of television and other entertainment will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
25 lol

Old 07-12-2017, 05:36 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Nah - I don't miss the old cable days like the mid 70's:

Old 07-12-2017, 05:54 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Time = money. Our viewing habits are changing. The cable companies are finally loosing their strangle hold. I am giving serious thought to switching to a digital antenna and a couple subscriptions. I've discovered the joy of binging and may never look back. As I opined in another thread, there is something immensely satisfying about watching a finale, only to roll directly to the next season's premier.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM

661 posts, read 521,158 times
I wasn't really saying that I hate streaming. I'll proudly admit that it has those advantages over regular cable.

That being said, the rise of streaming and decline of regular cable and local stations does beg other questions: for example, how will we determine what the best shows/music/films are?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I wasn't really saying that I hate streaming. I'll proudly admit that it has those advantages over regular cable.

That being said, the rise of streaming and decline of regular cable and local stations does beg other questions: for example, how will we determine what the best shows/music/films are?
For those that pay attention and/or care about such things, the Emmys, Oscars, and Grammys (and other awards) aren't going anywhere. There are probably more award shows than ever before (ahhh, but not my beloved Cable ACE).

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
I'm nostalgic for the tin foil!

Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post

If you want to see anything back past than a certain decade being rerun or broadcast on a regular TV channel, it's generally not being broadcast on any TV channels at all, it's in inconvenient time slots, or it's available only on some obscure channel or a subscription-channel. Am I the only one who notices that there has been many shows that have been broadcast on a regular TV channel at some point throughout history, but haven't been seen on any regular channels in years or even decades? I mean, good luck finding for example, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon from the 1980s or a good part of old shows on Nickelodeon being reran on any of these channels nowadays, if they are on any of those obscure channels at all. I wonder if there is any sort of politics behind this trend?
If you had read many of the posts in this forum you'd have the answer to all of this part. I wont even address the question about politics. That is just absurd.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
If you had read many of the posts in this forum you'd have the answer to all of this part. I wont even address the question about politics. That is just absurd.
The whole post is full of nope.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
The whole post is full of nope.
Well yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV