Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

I've always thought it was weird that they cover up brand names on "non-scripted" television shows - everything ranging from "reality TV" to things like "house hunters". I've seen clothing brand logos blocked out, car manufacturer logos, etc.

What do they do this for? Scared of thinking someone is "endorsing" a product that could be considered controversial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM

48 posts, read 189,552 times
Yes it actually has to do with that; I believe it is actually illegal to show logos that aren't paid by the owners who have it trademarked. It would give unfair advantage to some very common brands, and may probably cause networks to lose other advertisers because of it too. From what I know it is along, painful process to either get permission or endorsements for something that costs so little product, like the mentioned reality shows; simply just not worth the time, effort and money.

All this is from what I remember through marketing/advertising classes in college tho...so I may not be a dependable source.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Also they sometimes block out paintings on the walls...

Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL7186 View Post
Yes it actually has to do with that; I believe it is actually illegal to show logos that aren't paid by the owners who have it trademarked. It would give unfair advantage to some very common brands, and may probably cause networks to lose other advertisers because of it too. From what I know it is along, painful process to either get permission or endorsements for something that costs so little product, like the mentioned reality shows; simply just not worth the time, effort and money.

All this is from what I remember through marketing/advertising classes in college tho...so I may not be a dependable source.
I agree with you

You notice some movies, there are Pepsi logos and all name brands shown . I am pretty sure Pepsi ( insert name brand ) had to grant permission to have that viewable to the audience.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I've always thought it was weird that they cover up brand names on "non-scripted" television shows - everything ranging from "reality TV" to things like "house hunters". I've seen clothing brand logos blocked out, car manufacturer logos, etc.

What do they do this for? Scared of thinking someone is "endorsing" a product that could be considered controversial?
They do not want to give the products any FREE advertisement. If they did, other products would lobby to have their stuff on screen. You gotta pay to play.

If the show is sponsored by Coke, why give Pepsi a free plug without paying??

Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Cynic that I am, I've always assumed that while the footage is still in post-production, they contact the companies that own the brands and give them a chance to pay X amount of $$$ for not obscuring said brands. If they say no, el blotto.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Also they sometimes block out paintings on the walls...
Glad I read this post. Now I realize those paintings/posters may represent various logo's/name brands of cars, skate boards, surf boards, etc.
Previously, I wondered if THAT many people actually had nude pics in their house or something.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Companies pay big money for "product placement" in shows and movies so, yeah, no one wants to give that exposure/advertising for free.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,909 times
they only show the labels of brands that have paid for that privilege. it is called product placement! those that are shown, are paid sponsors of the programs/movies etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I wondered if THAT many people actually had nude pics in their house or something.
Now we know how you think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV