Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
My feelings are mixed. Creativity wise, very interesting concept. But, if it is later proven that this whole thing was due to PC or social/special interest group pressure, or a way to further some "agenda," then it is a sad day. Generally though, I think it is not a good idea. Some things should simply not be tampered with. An online poster on a UK website keenly pointed out WonderMan? CatMan? Nope. Those characters are Wonder Woman Cat Woman, etc.
Your examples don't add up because the name "Dr. Who" can obviously be male or female. They're not changing the name of the show to "Ms. Who" ya know, it's still Dr. Who.

Some things should be tampered with, and this is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
What if she gets pregnant , will we have lots of little Who's Whos.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:48 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The Doctor is technically an alien in human form. It can take any body it wants. It's not being PC.
I'm laughing at the notion that half of the population is a "special interest group."

Old 07-18-2017, 08:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
My feelings are mixed. Creativity wise, very interesting concept. But, if it is later proven that this whole thing was due to PC or social/special interest group pressure, or a way to further some "agenda," then it is a sad day. Generally though, I think it is not a good idea. Some things should simply not be tampered with. An online poster on a UK website keenly pointed out WonderMan? CatMan? Nope. Those characters are Wonder Woman Cat Woman, etc.
Unless the word "doctor" specifically denotes gender in some way, it's a rather weak argument.

Assuming however, that it does, how is a female doctor addressed in the "real" world?

Oh, wait, I think it's..."doctor."

Bold move by Chris Chibnall. I have no issues with the idea or the specific casting.

Can't say I'm sorry to see the back of Steven Moffat.
I will miss Peter Capaldi though.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There has already been a female time lord. The master became Missy in the last reincarnation.
And that was what drove me away. Delgado made that role. Simms modernized it brilliantly.

She ruined it.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 AM

322 posts, read 276,123 times
we have "actor" for a male actor and "actress" for a female actor, but not "doctress" for a female doctor

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,862,682 times
Actor in gender-less. Just sayin'.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
And that was what drove me away. Delgado made that role. Simms modernized it brilliantly.

She ruined it.
No.. Missy added on to it. up until this past season at least, she was deliciously evil. I was actually slightly disappointed at the 'good' turn she took at the end.. But I can live with it, because I figure she'll come back REALLY peeved off. I will give you that Simms did a hell of a job as well.

Remember that this is just the first female doctor.. We've had female time lords before.. Romana, The Rani, Susan (Doctor's Granddaughter), Jenny (His daughter) and of course River Song.. Now.. Details on whether they are 'time lords' can be nitpicked. Susan probably so, Jenny probably not and River most likely not.

As I said in the Doctor Who topic.. I'm not against casting a woman in the role. I don't care for how they went about it. All season long there were teases that they were going to.. I didn't care for that. I would rather he just have regenerated and been a woman.

I've watched Broadchurch and Jodie Whittaker was good in it.. Not great.. But, I'll give her a chance. That's the best thing about the Doctor.. If you don't like this one, there's another one coming along in 3 years or so.

I am also in the minority, I think, in that I'm sad to see Capaldi go. I don't think he gets a totally fair shake for his portrayal.. There's things I didn't care for, but it's more the writing than his portrayal. The whole sonic sunglasses thing.. Didn't like it in his second season and the blindness crutch for them was bad in his third.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 PM

356 posts, read 302,736 times
Thank you for your comments. I still disagree with tampering with the gender. Is the Doctor an alien? Sure. But, the changing genders option is a fairly recent introduced option (correct me if I am wrong). The character was originally created as a male figure, and should remain so.

But, like I said, if it is all due to creativity, I am allowing for that. But, it is interesting to note about the recent changes including the change in gender of the Doctor.

Last edited by Student66; 07-18-2017 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: change

Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
What if she gets pregnant , will we have lots of little Who's Whos.
Same thing as if a male Doctor Who fathered children... Or do you picture him as an absentee father?

"Lots of Little Who's Whos" as if she is a dog who would be birthing 10 offspring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV