Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:15 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,050 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I cancelled my cable subscription a while ago, but I'd like to watch some news channels online - Fox, CNN, BBC. They say "log in with your TV service provider and watch."
Are there any respectable news channels that do online news streaming for people who don't have cable? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 05:21 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,993,637 times
Sky News has a live feed on their site. It's a British news service but they cover international news as well, including quite a bit of U.S. news.

If you have a streaming service, like Roku, there are at least a few free news options. Pluto TV has several channels, there's a Sky News channel (same one I'm linking to), and Reuters TV (options for 10, 15 & 30 minute news segments). The Reuters TV directly on their site only shows the 15 minute segment, on Roku is where I see the options for 10 & 30 minutes also.

Watch Sky News Live

Reuters TV: Live Breaking News, US, World, Business, Finance

And by the way, even though they aren't news channels, I do enjoy watching the C-span channels online. Particularly C-span 1 for Washington Journal in the morning, and C-span 2 to watch the Senate floor proceedings.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:41 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,613,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Hello All, I cancelled my cable subscription a while ago, but I'd like to watch some news channels online - Fox, CNN, BBC. They say "log in with your TV service provider and watch."
The two biggest draws to traditional cable TV are simply news and sports. For free the best source of news is BBC World News, but you can also watch Al Jazeera or Russia Today.

But if you want your CNN and/or FOXNews the cheapest options are to spend $20-$35 and get streaming television service.

CNN and Fox News are available on:
Hulu $35 minimum but $44 option is best value
DirecTV Now $35 minimum
PlayStation Vue $35 or $40 minimum
Sling TV $20 to $25 minimum - CNN Only
YouTube TV $35 minimum - Fox News Only

There is no way to spend $5 and just get CNN or FOX News.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:20 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,545,890 times
Depending on how ethical you're feeling, you could find a friend or family member with cable who is willing to share their login.

I actually hate watching the news networks, but there are times that I want to be able to find live coverage of something that's going on. So on rare occasion I will use my sister's login.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,255,709 times
I get CBS news and Newsy on my Roku at no charge.
We have Sling Orange at $20 a month that also has BBC, CNN and Bloomberg

Old 10-15-2017, 01:01 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
For the broadcast four - NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX - I use an OTA antenna and a tivo Roamio. Most of the time, that is more than I can stand. Pluto is OK, but not great. Roku also has nowhereman, who has a cast of some OTA news programs from around the country and NPR feeds

Old 10-15-2017, 01:06 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,943,574 times
You say you want to watch online, but the OTA antennas will get you all the local channels for free on your TV. PBS also has an app for Roku and they have some news programs as well.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I get CBS news and Newsy on my Roku at no charge.
We have Sling Orange at $20 a month that also has BBC, CNN and Bloomberg

Thanks!
Except for Roku, do you need any other device or service? Do you by chance know how much GB/month is takes to use this service? I have an internet plan with limited data.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:15 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,907,468 times
You can get a lot of news just off youtube. Here's some links... It's not live tv, but you can watch whatever you like. Each one will typically add 3-5 videos a day on the most current events.
If you have a device like Apple TV, or roku, there are some free news channels that stream live. I have Apple TV, but I seldom use it. I also have over the air (antenna) tv, which I also seldom use, but there are typically some local news channels. Quantity and quality will vary a lot based on location.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CNN
https://www.youtube.com/user/FoxNewsChannel
https://www.youtube.com/user/bbcnews

Old 10-15-2017, 05:07 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,993,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Thanks!
Except for Roku, do you need any other device or service? Do you by chance know how much GB/month is takes to use this service? I have an internet plan with limited data.
I use Roku quite a bit, I work from home and often have the news on in the background (Sky News, etc., on Roku), and typically use less than 200 GB, and always less than 300. Most of my tv watching is on Roku using Netflix, Hulu, Acorn TV, Youtube, and the news channels I've already mentioned in my previous post. I live alone so the only one using cap space with AT&T U-verse.

For Roku you just need internet service. Last Mother's Day bought my mother a Roku Premiere Plus, which works as well as my Roku 3. They also have cheaper versions, including the stick that is fairly cheap. I wouldn't go that route but that's just me. I've heard the Roku stick buffers slower which would annoy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV