Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else wonder how they ever got by without DVR???? Now when I am away from home and can't watch something it's like I have withdrawal symptoms!!! I just hate watching commercials now and I love the convenience of watching what I want WHEN I want! I think back of all the times I had to set the VCR and had so many tapes full of stuff I couldn't keep track of what was what. Just reflecting on how much things have changed the past few years is amazing to me. Does anyone remember back several years ago when Rosie O'Donnell had her talk show and she first talked about getting Tivo? Only the rich had it then. We have DVR receivers on two tv's. That way if there are up to 4 shows on at the same time we won't miss any of them! And it's great that you can record 2 and watch another recorded show at the same time. Boy, am I becoming a couch potato in my old age! But I do have to say that at least I can watch an hour long show in about 45 minutes now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
we love our dvr! and instead of referring to ourselves as couch potatoes, we like to say that we are optimizing our tv viewing time..speeding through the commercials has made us much more efficient!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
I concur. Before I moved to rural Minnesota I was a Time Warner customer in Wisconsin and was Spoiled with my DVR and all of it's convenience. Well then came the move and the Co-op in the community I was in didn't have that technology. Egad! Blasphamy for sure.

I suffered from withdrawl just as it was stated above. I was having to conform to Network Schedules once again. This is something hard to accomplish once you dive in to the world of a DVR. I had to do something. I really didn't want to get into satalite as I like to bundle my phone/tv/internet as a matter of convenience. So I did the Tivo thing. It wasn't terrible but it was a pain in the rear. You have to download the programming each week AND set up the system to operate your cable box with the system. All that AND YOU PAY for the service. Oh the humanity!

Well I kept on complaining to the Service Provider over and over. They kept on saying it was coming. Each deadline passed by and then in December it happened. They released the DVR for us! Oh how nice it is... I kicked the Tivo to the curb, for good. Garage Sale Item... for sure.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
I just switched to DirecTV and now have a DVR for the first time! Haven't really recorded all that much, but I do like how I can pause and rewind live TV! I'm glad I went for it!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Wouldn't give up my tivo for anything. Heck it records things I didn't even know I wanted to watch, lol. I seriously don't remember when my shows come on anymore. I just sit down when I have time and see what is lined up for me.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
I'd give up food before I'd give up my DVR! Now I can run after my son to all his practices and I know my shows are there when I get time to watch. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
DVR is the best thing since sliced bread! I find myself recording stuff just because sometimes! I have no intention of watching it, but I do it because I can, lol....the best $7 a month anyone could ever spend!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
DVR is the best thing since sliced bread! I find myself recording stuff just because sometimes! I have no intention of watching it, but I do it because I can, lol....the best $7 a month anyone could ever spend!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I dont even remember what it was like. I have had for 6 years now and will never go back to not having it.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
WOW I could not give it up - LOVE my DVR!! How did we get by??? The best thing we have now is a the dvr that lets us record in one room and watch it anytime in another room - LOVE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV