Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times

Advertisements

We came home last night to TV's just not working, got Comcast on the phone, did everything they could (check this, etc) - they cannot come out for 4 days! (Maybe 5).

Anyone have any secrets we could try? The weather has been cold but has since warmed up, no rain to speak of, weather was great yesterday.

DirecTV - anyone have comments on this?

BTW, our account is fine; always paid on time. (Comcast is also used throughout the neighborhood and our HOA pays for part of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
Get Dish Network. It's only gone out twice in 3 years. And one was because of an ice storm.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
I use Direct TV. Far better than Dish or comcast, in my opinion.

The best HD channels, with 200 more coming online by the end of this year. That and their on demand service is awesome.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:57 PM

243 posts, read 813,328 times
Comcast sucks in general...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,040,672 times
Did you try unplugging the cable boxes from the outlet? Then plug them back in and wait for the system to reboot. This works for me about 95% of the time.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Have you checked with your neighbors to see if their cable is out too? There may be a problem with the underground cable in your backyard or elsewhere.

I have Comcast for internet, TV and phone service and parts of the underground cable in my back yard have worn through several times. Try living without internet, TV and landline phone for a week or longer.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile Strategies

Yes, the first thing we did was unplug the cable boxes. Nothing. They also told us to do the same which we did.

We did check with all the neighbors. No one is down right now but they all had their stores and we all have Comcast due to the neighborhood deal.

That's why we have Bellsouth (er, I guess A T & T) for our home phone and DSL which we've never had a problem with.

I wish we could get WOW but that's only in IL, IN, MI and OH (sounds like a great company).

I could actually live through it but my husband asks for very little and one of those pleasures is watching TV

Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 PM

867 posts, read 2,140,949 times
crapcast is ftl get tivo

Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM

229 posts, read 879,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Comcast sucks in general...
I have had worse. Before Comcast we had the old Adelphia cable and they were a LOT worse than Comcast such as dropping channels without telling anyone ( even though I have heard Comcast has done that in some places ). Also Adelphia in our area would NOT offer high speed internet unless one gets cable TV too..no exceptions.

Before Adelphia we had one of those mom & pop small cable systems. Over the years I have read comments from others who say how much better those small cable companies were. Maybe thatis true for some but not the one we had. For one thing the cable system under so-called town rules weren't allowed to offer such channels as MTV, VH1, Game Show Network, TV Land or even Showtime/The Movie Channel. They did however offer HBO & Cinemax but only to those households that didn't have children. Once Adelphia took over..all of those "rules" were thrown out the window.

Sometimes bigger can actually be better, not all of the time of course.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,169 times
Check out the latest issue of Consumer Reports. Comcast rates near the bottom on internet service, phone and television. They rated well below average in support and reliability. WOW, Verizon and AT&T Uverse were the top rated in internet and television. It's an interesting read, and validated my decision to dump Comcast as soon as I had an alternative offering in my area. What's sad is when Comcast is the only game in town and people are stuck with them if they want cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV