Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times

Advertisements

OK, Data is "dead."

But in the best of Star Trek tradition, there are a couple paths for him to be reborn or revived...
  • B4 could be overdidden by Data's installed engrams.
  • Lt. Maddox has been working to duplicate Dr. Soong's work. The hardest part is the unique positronic brain. But a brain (Data's complete head) already exists in the San Francisco caves.
  • Lt. Maddox may be successful in copying Data, then data's personality and memories could be downloaded from B4.
  • Data Permanently Deactivated Lore. Maddox could replace Lore's type-"L" phase discriminator with a type-"R" and maybe that is a simple enough operation that Lore would become stable, again Data's engrams could replace Lore's?
  • Lal could be revived and corrected and her and Data's engrams installed from B4. Unfortunately, this would not bring Data back though.

Any thoughts? Disagreements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Brent Spiner is almost 70 and pushed for the character to be killed because he didn't feel it was right to portray the character as he aged. That pretty much ends it right there.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,553,208 times
Quote:
OK, Data is "dead."

But in the best of Star Trek tradition, there are a couple paths for him to be reborn or revived...
  • B4 could be overdidden by Data's installed engrams.
  • Lt. Maddox has been working to duplicate Dr. Soong's work. The hardest part is the unique positronic brain. But a brain (Data's complete head) already exists in the San Francisco caves.
  • Lt. Maddox may be successful in copying Data, then data's personality and memories could be downloaded from B4.
  • Data Permanently Deactivated Lore. Maddox could replace Lore's type-"L" phase discriminator with a type-"R" and maybe that is a simple enough operation that Lore would become stable, again Data's engrams could replace Lore's?
  • Lal could be revived and corrected and her and Data's engrams installed from B4. Unfortunately, this would not bring Data back though.

One of my favorite characters. Even way back then I hated that Brent would get older and Data would eventually be retired.

The Lal episode made me cry when I first saw it.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Brent Spiner is almost 70 and pushed for the character to be killed because he didn't feel it was right to portray the character as he aged. That pretty much ends it right there.
Yes. I'm not speaking of the actor, but the character. If there was ever a reboot - certainly someone else could play the part - but only if the character is not dead.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yes. I'm not speaking of the actor, but the character. If there was ever a reboot - certainly someone else could play the part - but only if the character is not dead.
First.. Don't even mention reboot.. Ugh..

But.. Playing along.. A reboot they can do whatever they want.. Just say Nemesis never happened. I can't imagine them attempting to do a continuation of TNG recasting the actors.

One of the beautiful things about the Star Trek Universe is the scope of it.. Something that would have ticked me off less is if Abrams had taken advantage of this. There was no reason to 'remake' Star Trek. He could have created new characters, put them on.. The USS Challenger and the story would have been just as good and people who had invested 40 years (at the time) in the franchise wouldn't have been so ticked off.

Smartest thing would be to set something in the post-TNG timeline, and Starfleet has used B4 to create additional Datas.

There's just so much open space out there.. Don't keep rebuilding on the same piece of real estate.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:19 AM

45,475 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:

But.. Playing along.. A reboot they can do whatever they want.. Just say Nemesis never happened. I can't imagine them attempting to do a continuation of TNG recasting the actors.

One of the beautiful things about the Star Trek Universe is the scope of it.. Something that would have ticked me off less is if Abrams had taken advantage of this. There was no reason to 'remake' Star Trek. He could have created new characters, put them on.. The USS Challenger and the story would have been just as good and people who had invested 40 years (at the time) in the franchise wouldn't have been so ticked off.

Smartest thing would be to set something in the post-TNG timeline, and Starfleet has used B4 to create additional Datas.

There's just so much open space out there.. Don't keep rebuilding on the same piece of real estate.
That's one of the things that bugs me about Discovery.. It could have been set post-TNG and the tech anomalies wouldn't have been so jarring. Nor would have the changed Klingons since they've always been a tad psychotic as well as having periodic appearance shifts.

Of course, that would have changed Burnham's story (granddaughter of Spock with half human parents?) but, in my opinion, there would have been better continuity.

I also personally think that the Abrams reboots have painted themselves into a corner to an extent.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:

"To use the vernacular Captain... I can dig it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's one of the things that bugs me about Discovery.. It could have been set post-TNG and the tech anomalies wouldn't have been so jarring. Nor would have the changed Klingons since they've always been a tad psychotic as well as having periodic appearance shifts.

Of course, that would have changed Burnham's story (granddaughter of Spock with half human parents?) but, in my opinion, there would have been better continuity.

I also personally think that the Abrams reboots have painted themselves into a corner to an extent.
Wish I could comment... But I'm over the air only.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Yes, it does.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,026,388 times
Nobody will ever beat this, it's almost right up there with WKRP's "Turkeys Away" episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE6brM24yIA

Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Nobody will ever beat this, it's almost right up there with WKRP's "Turkeys Away" episode:
Thinking back on it now.. In 1987.. Wil Wheaton was the 'star' of the cast. He was coming off Stand By Me and was the most well known.

Stewart was known in England, and some remembered him from Dune.. Sirtis was.. In something.. Death wish? Burton had some notoriety for Reading Rainbow and Roots.. Of course, S2 Muldaur was decently well known and Whoopi, obviously, but she was a supporting character.

Every series has had about 1 person that was decently well known before being cast. Wheaton in TNG, Brooks in DS9 and Picardo in Voyager.

I will say.. Sidetracking a bit here.. But since I brought up Pulaski.. I didn't like the character.. But I also didn't like that she just disappeared. I always thought she should have been brought back and killed off or something. They only mentioned her once after she left, something where Crusher mentioned she was familiar with Pulaski's technique on a procedure.. And rumor was that they wanted her to be the one operating on Picard at the end of Tapestry but either she wouldn't do it, or they couldn't work out the schedules or something. Speaking of scheduling conflicts.. Supposedly the original idea at the end of Cause and Effect was to have Kelsey Grammer as the captain of the Bozeman and the first officer to his side was going to be.. Kirstie Alley as Saavik. Those two woulda-couldas there would have been great if they had happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV