Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:48 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,609,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Huh? Not offended at all , although you certainly seem to be. FWIW I wasn't criticizing *your comment,* but Angelina's claim of being a "woman of color." Which other people besides just me (as mentioned right here upthread) just don't see. Maybe she looks "obviously Latina" to you, but as I mentioned in my post, she also could easily be from several other European backgrounds. I *literally* thought she was just a white girl with a tan. Maybe you disagree that there are some Italians, Eastern Europeans, or other people who could be considered people of color based on their complexion- yet people from those areas are generally classified as white.

BTW, I never said people of color had to be "dark brown," or that it was "a terrible, awful offense" so please chill out, and don't condescendingly put words in my mouth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then stop acting offended, and acting like it was a huge offense, like this post of yours, that certainly sounds like you are offended, and see it as a big deal...

"Wow, seriously? I didn't realize that simply having ancestry from Mexico & Central America automatically made someone a person of color. Angelina sure looks white to me. There are white people from those countries, after all.

I never thought about her background, but she looks like she could be Italian, Armenian, Greek, Romanian, or Jewish. She sure doesn't look to be of indigenous descent. So I'm not buying her "person of color" and implied persecution BS. I think it's a disservice, and frankly rather insulting, to actual brown people (from Central America or anywhere) to have someone who looks white as anything try to get pity points as a p.o.c. "

I have said "upthread" that I have no doubt that she was using it to try and garner sympathy or votes or whatever. I even said she could potentially pass herself off as having something else in her background, even though she clearly looks Latina to me. Maybe I have just spent more time around Latinas, I don't know. I am certainly not offended though. By her or you. You seem to be the only one taking it personally here.

So with that, I am done talking ethnicity and semantics about Angelina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 03:56 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,185,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's
You seem to be the only one taking it personally here.
Lol, umm okay,whatever you say...

Quote:
So with that, I am done talking ethnicity and semantics about Angelina.
Works for me! Have a great night!

Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times
Davie's Ponderosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk3Kq2Kf9wE

I don't think I posted this one did I?

Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,105,900 times
I'm caught up now so I can finally read through this.
I did enjoy Gabi's "championing" of how difficult it is to be a woman and play Survivor. I am the least fan of Angelina but it's true that had she been a man, her actions would've been perceived very differently.
I never understood the "hatred" towards Alison either.
I'm happy about the result. Nick's back was on the line many times early on so he did a great job on all levels. Alex was definitely missing from the reunion show . Did he even ask a question at the Jury?

Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

986 posts, read 1,667,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Wow, seriously? I didn't realize that simply having ancestry from Mexico & Central America automatically made someone a person of color. Angelina sure looks white to me. There are white people from those countries, after all.

I never thought about her background, but she looks like she could be Italian, Armenian, Greek, Romanian, or Jewish. She sure doesn't look to be of indigenous descent. So I'm not buying her "person of color" and implied persecution BS. I think it's a disservice, and frankly rather insulting, to actual brown people (from Central America or anywhere) to have someone who looks white as anything try to get pity points as a p.o.c.
Agreed 100%. I feel like she was definitely playing the WOC card for sympathy votes just like her throwing the rice up in everyone's faces time and time again. #byefelicia

I don't understand the Alison hate either. I liked her, she seemed to be non-controversial and stayed out of the drama. And Carl seemed to be very quiet during the "interrogation" - I wonder why?

Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Angelina never got a single vote, that was awesome. Glad that Nick won, I wanted to see Davie win, but once he was voted out, I was pulling for Nick. Had Kara of won the fire making, I think every vote would have gone to Nick. Overall a very balanced season, no one to really hate on, no huge surprises in the game and nothing really controversial, but still a very intriguing season which was interesting. I'm definitely tired of the "Beautiful people vs. Ugly people, Rich people vs. Poor people, white collar vs. blue collar" matchups the producers introduce into every season.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Angelina never got a single vote, that was awesome. Glad that Nick won, I wanted to see Davie win, but once he was voted out, I was pulling for Nick. Had Kara of won the fire making, I think every vote would have gone to Nick. Overall a very balanced season, no one to really hate on, no huge surprises in the game and nothing really controversial, but still a very intriguing season which was interesting. I'm definitely tired of the "Beautiful people vs. Ugly people, Rich people vs. Poor people, white collar vs. blue collar" matchups the producers introduce into every season.
I agree. I really, really enjoyed watching "normal" people for a change, once the "beautiful and muscle men" were voted off although I did like John an awful lot. I hope tptb learn something from this season.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:44 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,991,446 times
Finally got a chance to watch the finale yesterday. Glad Nick won over Mike, but was hoping Kara would have made the final three. She grew on me by the end of the season. Just seemed like a really nice girl. She wouldn't have beat Nick I don't think, and probably not Mike either.

For me it would have been a toss up between Nick and Mike, but Nick winning immunity the final three(?) times to keep his place in the game made the difference.

As for Gabby's comment I see some here agree with what she said but I totally disagreed with it and found it sexist towards men. Guarantee you if a man had acted like Angelina they wouldn't have fared any better. And to honest I just found her funny and lacking a bit of self awareness in that environment.

To close this out I'll say this was my favorite season in years. I liked many of the 'characters' and only found a couple somewhat annoying but they were at least entertaining for the viewer. No Russell Hantz or Boston Rob types for me to seriously dislike.

Have enjoyed reading everyone's comments this season.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Finally got a chance to watch the finale yesterday. Glad Nick won over Mike, but was hoping Kara would have made the final three. She grew on me by the end of the season. Just seemed like a really nice girl. She wouldn't have beat Nick I don't think, and probably not Mike either.

For me it would have been a toss up between Nick and Mike, but Nick winning immunity the final three(?) times to keep his place in the game made the difference.

As for Gabby's comment I see some here agree with what she said but I totally disagreed with it and found it sexist towards men. Guarantee you if a man had acted like Angelina they wouldn't have fared any better. And to honest I just found her funny and lacking a bit of self awareness in that environment.

To close this out I'll say this was my favorite season in years. I liked many of the 'characters' and only found a couple somewhat annoying but they were at least entertaining for the viewer. No Russell Hantz or Boston Rob types for me to seriously dislike.

Have enjoyed reading everyone's comments this season.
Jeff Probst made exactly the same comment. Is he sexist towards men, too?

Poor men. We've been suffering so long, haven't we, fellas?

Old 12-24-2018, 09:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Merry Christmas to all. I really enjoyed hanging with you all again for another season.

See ya next year!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV