Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times

Advertisements

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/20...archive-public

Article says Child is close to completing tv production deal for his Reacher series
10-12 episodes a book which makes me think it is US or streaming platform like Netflix
Since BBC/ITV usually do shorter series cycles

Will be interesting to get a main character with the physical attributes of the books' character
Tom Cruise has charisma but he is no Jack Reacher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
https://amp.theguardian.com/books/20...archive-public

Article says Child is close to completing tv production deal for his Reacher series
10-12 episodes a book which makes me think it is US or streaming platform like Netflix
Since BBC/ITV usually do shorter series cycles

Will be interesting to get a main character with the physical attributes of the books' character.
I've always pictured Ron Perlman, or maybe Rainier Wolfcastle.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:27 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Or Liev Schreiber. YUM. (Did I say that out loud?! )

I love most of the Reacher books so I look forward to the series although it sounds like it's at least a year away!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Love the books so good news. Can't think of an actor right now....but guys, he must be handsome....women should make the choice.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
While I don't really think he is a good actor, Henry Cavill is big and beautiful

Liev is a little too old at this point--
10 yrs ago he would have been the go to guy
20 yrs ago Liam Neeson IMO would have been an awesome Jack Reacher

Child mentions that since this is TV production the demand for high-value star is less
So they could go with an unknown especially if they want a long-term contract to carry through all the production w/o losing him to higher salary demands...
As long as they don't go with Charlie Hunnam who I think is a horrible actor, I am open...

Initially I didn't think Titus Wellaver was a good choice for Harry Bosch because in the books-Bosch gets conflicting description--he was a tunnel rat for Army in Vietnam which in the real world would mean a smaller fram. But in the books Bosch is often described as big, burly, bear---like..
Wellaver is more compact----could have been a tunnel rat but because of the time/age he was in Middle East, not Vietnam, and was sniper...
Anyway his intelligence and fierce presence on screen certainly conveys Bosch's steely determination and commitment to justice and protecting those he loves...
So I am very MUCH in favor of Wellaver as Bosch now I have seen him in action...

Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
While I don't really think he is a good actor, Henry Cavill is big and beautiful

Child mentions that since this is TV production the demand for high-value star is less
So they could go with an unknown especially if they want a long-term contract to carry through all the production w/o losing him to higher salary demands...
As long as they don't go with Charlie Hunnam who I think is a horrible actor, I am open...

Initially I didn't think Titus Wellaver was a good choice for Harry Bosch because in the books-Bosch gets conflicting description--he was a tunnel rat for Army in Vietnam which in the real world would mean a smaller fram. But in the books Bosch is often described as big, burly, bear---like..
Wellaver is more compact----could have been a tunnel rat but because of the time/age he was in Middle East, not Vietnam, and was sniper...
Anyway his intelligence and fierce presence on screen certainly conveys Bosch's steely determination and commitment to justice and protecting those he loves...
So I am very MUCH in favor of Wellaver as Bosch now I have seen him in action...

Liev is too old...agree. Henry is good....

I didn't care for Wellaver at first either as Bosch but I do now...love Connelley's books and the character. Don't like how they had to introduce half naked women in the show....that was never part of the books. Disconcerting right in the middle of murder investigations....

Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love the books so good news.
I found the books very hit and miss. The ones Child wrote in first person just didn't work for some reason. Jack doesn't seem like a chatty guy, so the whole time I was reading, I kept thinking, Why are you telling me this? This is so out of character for you.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I found the books very hit and miss. The ones Child wrote in first person just didn't work for some reason. Jack doesn't seem like a chatty guy, so the whole time I was reading, I kept thinking, Why are you telling me this? This is so out of character for you.

Don't read anymore and don't watch the movie.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Liev is too old...agree. Henry is good....
Quote:
Liev Schreiber is currently 50, Tom Cruise (whom I have not been able to watch as he seemed incredibly miscast as Jack Reacher) is 56.

So Liev is not too old for me ... (LOL, did I say that out loud again? ) Henry Cavill (had to look him up) is too pretty for me, but that's probably an age thing since he's young enough to be my son.

Reacher has to be in his 40s now in the books, no? (Unless he doesn't age!)

Old 08-26-2018, 03:25 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Love the books, and I look forward to seeing them made into a series. Like all adaptations, it's hard to say much until you see the final product.

Quote:
Will be interesting to get a main character with the physical attributes of the books' character
I thought Cruise did a decent job, but he's just not Jack Reacher. They really need someone taller and tougher, as his physical size plays a role in many scenes.

Willem Defoe would be good, but he's a tad too old now. Maybe a bulked up John Krasinski? Michael Rapaport, Adam Baldwin, Joe Manganiello, Jason Segel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV