Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

I especially like the guy that says, "I was an addict; now I'm not." Once an addict, always an addict...you know damn well he's jonesing for that next fix.
Speaking of jonesing, I will never abandon Cozi. I need my Frasier Fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't want to be reminded that I am old.
LOL no kidding. My knees are reminder enough.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I look at things this way, if a charity is spending money on TV advertising then a good percentage of their donations are probably not making it to the charitable activities the organization claims to pursue, so I tune out the charity commercials.
I also find it questionable with the gifts they give out. "For only $5 a month, we'll send you this oversized fleece blanket." And how much of my donation is going towards random gifts thst are just going to end up at Goodwill in 6 months? Not to meantion the shipping cost for those blankets.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
The simple fact is that these networks are incredibly low budget. Most afvertisers know that not a lot of people are watching that channel. That means that the network has to cater to whomever is daying them.

If you have ever watched WKRP think about the issues they had with advertisers. That was pretty accurate when it comes to low budget tv/radio

Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I also find it questionable with the gifts they give out. "For only $5 a month, we'll send you this oversized fleece blanket." And how much of my donation is going towards random gifts thst are just going to end up at Goodwill in 6 months? Not to meantion the shipping cost for those blankets.
I dont think that is questionanle at all. You send them $5/month ($60 for the year) and they send you a blanket with a cost to them of about $5 if they even paid for it at all. Then they most likely have a corporate account with one of the major shippers to give a discount. So worst case they have $20 invested in you but you just gave them $60

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
You know that you're watching the geriatric channel when the consumer cellular commercial comes on.

But not all commercials are for funeral expenses, catheters, prescription drugs, and flip phone services. There is also the My Pillow guy (an ex-con, recovering addict, and Christian zealot). I guess only seniors buy pillows . Millenials buy mattresses from websites.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You know that you're watching the geriatric channel when the consumer cellular commercial comes on.

But not all commercials are for funeral expenses, catheters, prescription drugs, and flip phone services. There is also the My Pillow guy (an ex-con, recovering addict, and Christian zealot). I guess only seniors buy pillows . Millenials buy mattresses from websites.

And all this has what to do with charities advertising on TV?

Oh, yeah...nothing.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
A warning to anyone donating - they will send you future mailings asking for donations again.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
if a charity is spending money on TV advertising then a good percentage of their donations are probably not making it to the charitable activities the organization claims to pursue, so I tune out the charity commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. And the same is true for charities which bombard us with labels, calendars, little note pads, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I also find it questionable with the gifts they give out. "For only $5 a month, we'll send you this oversized fleece blanket."
You can't assume that a) the charities aren't getting a volume discount or even some free air time on their TV time purchase; b) the labels, calendars and little note pads haven't been donated; or c) the charity is spending its charitable dollars on advertising (many charitable organizations have earned income, which often is accounted for separately from charitable income). And every single charitable donation coupon has a little box that you can check to opt out of the free gift.

Y'll have a lot to learn about charitable organizations, but that's fodder for another thread. As far as charitable organizations advertising on TV, they wouldn't do it if it didn't churn donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And all this has what to do with charities advertising on TV?
Go back and read the original post. Note that the OP mentioned several different advertisers, not just charitable organizations.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can't assume that a) the charities aren't getting a volume discount or even some free air time on their TV time purchase; b) the labels, calendars and little note pads haven't been donated; or c) the charity is spending its charitable dollars on advertising (many charitable organizations have earned income, which often is accounted for separately from charitable income). And every single charitable donation coupon has a little box that you can check to opt out of the free gift.

Y'll have a lot to learn about charitable organizations, but that's fodder for another thread. As far as charitable organizations advertising on TV, they wouldn't do it if it didn't churn donations.

Go back and read the original post. Note that the OP mentioned several different advertisers, not just charitable organizations.
Don't tell me to go back and read the OP--which referenced charities--and a drug ad. YOU can go back and read the post I responded to, which clearly was a rant which had nothing to do with this topic. Complain and roll your eyes about that.

And continue to think you know what's in the letters accompanying the donation solicitations we receive. The labels and note pads with our names and addresses come directly from the charities. They say that they do. We can read.

There's a reason it's suggested that people research charities, and it's not just fraud and outrageous administrative costs. When they're poorly managed, as evidenced by sending unsolicited items, it's a waste of donors' money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV