Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

On one hand, who doesn't like Cher? She's certainly entertaining. On the other hand, this sets a bad precedent.

It's bad enough that almost every guest on these evening gabfests is pushing a TV show or plugging a book or movie. But turning the entire show into "The Cher Show," with appearances by the actresses portraying her, and her singing songs from the musical, is nuts.

This is going to be like one big infomercial--an ad for her show, presented in an effort to promote ticket sales. I don't watch Fallon, anyway, but I might just tune in for a bit of this.

But an hour? Forget it!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marchers...marketers/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:34 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
I have always liked Cher -- we're the same age -- I respect how she has managed to successfully reinvent herself thru the years.

An hour is a royal marketing power play thought up by??? Probably Cher. I was going to say marketing coup but "coup" implies politics and overthrow, so I'm sure some literalist would have been obliged to correct me

At any rate, I'll be asleep by the time The Tonight Show comes on but that's what DVR's are for

I will appreciatively watch it the next morning, since I will never get to New York to see it on Broadway

Old 04-15-2019, 03:34 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
so you're going to tune in to a show you don't normally watch? guess it works as planned.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
so you're going to tune in to a show you don't normally watch? guess it works as planned.
You missed the part about "a bit." You also missed the point (and didn't bother to read the article), which is that this is going to be an hour-long commercial.

As Martha Stewart might say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I have always liked Cher -- we're the same age -- I respect how she has managed to successfully reinvent herself thru the years.

An hour is a royal marketing power play thought up by??? Probably Cher. I was going to say marketing coup but "coup" implies politics and overthrow, so I'm sure some literalist would have been obliged to correct me

At any rate, I'll be asleep by the time The Tonight Show comes on but that's what DVR's are for

I will appreciatively watch it the next morning, since I will never get to New York to see it on Broadway

I always liked her, too. I thought she had a great voice, especially when she was young. Didn't care much for Half Breed or Dark Lady, though. I think she's the recording artist who's had a hit in every decade since the '60s.

I do think it's a bad idea to turn a program into one big ad, though. As they mention in the article, this might be how some marketers address viewers who skip the ads lol.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I always liked her, too. I thought she had a great voice, especially when she was young. Didn't care much for Half Breed or Dark Lady, though. I think she's the recording artist who's had a hit in every decade since the '60s.

I do think it's a bad idea to turn a program into one big ad, though. As they mention in the article, this might be how some marketers address viewers who skip the ads lol.

They've done it before. Cheers I know, and didn't they do it for the Friends finale as well? Those were somewhat different situations, because they were promoting something that had already happened by the time Tonight aired.. Plus it was promoting a show on the network

It also seems like they had a show that was only Garth Brooks around the time one of his albums came out back in the 90's? that sound right to anyone else?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They've done it before. Cheers I know, and didn't they do it for the Friends finale as well? Those were somewhat different situations, because they were promoting something that had already happened by the time Tonight aired.. Plus it was promoting a show on the network

It also seems like they had a show that was only Garth Brooks around the time one of his albums came out back in the 90's? that sound right to anyone else?

That wouldn't surprise me about Garth Brooks.

But I think there's an active thread here about "series you never watched" or something similar. I need to find it and add Cheers and Friends, because I never watched either of those, either. Not one episode lol.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That wouldn't surprise me about Garth Brooks.

But I think there's an active thread here about "series you never watched" or something similar. I need to find it and add Cheers and Friends, because I never watched either of those, either. Not one episode lol.

Ha.. I never watched Friends.. But did enjoy Cheers.

I've probably only seen a handful of Seinfeld episodes... And I bring that up, because.. they might have done the same thing when it ended.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
They can claim all they want that it's not relevant that the producers of The Cher Show have connections to NBC, but the question ought to be asked: if not for those connections, would they hand over an entire episode of the Tonight Show to them? Would they be willing to give an hour to one of the Cher Show's competing Broadway shows in the interest of equal time? And if they were willing to do that, would they charge that show's producers for the privilege? I understand the advantages of corporate synergy and old-fashioned, mutual back-scratching...and audiences are sophisticated enough to know about it, so why try so hard to cover it up?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Jimmy Fallon is basically a ***** for NBC.

And woefully unfunny IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV