Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 12:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,184,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
3) To me ST now has become Woke, as 7's ship is primary women. Considering it's the 24th century, we should have evolved beyond that or a need to show it.
Star Trek has always been 'woke'. What other show in the 60s include so many minorities in the cast? It is a feature of the franchise not a bug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 12:24 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Just watched the final episode today and enjoyed it as TNG was my fav ST series....but, to me it just seemed way to impossible that after 25+ years they somehow all got together considering how big the universe/star fleet is.

A few other comments.

1) Since Q became old for Picard to show a time line, why not go back to being young since he was now going to be with Jack? (Yeah I know he can't).

2) Did I miss something on why they renamed the Trident? Why not a brand new ship?

3) To me ST now has become Woke, as 7's ship is primary women. Considering it's the 24th century, we should have evolved beyond that or a need to show it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Star Trek has always been 'woke'. What other show in the 60s include so many minorities in the cast? It is a feature of the franchise not a bug.
The problem with Discovery in particular and some of the others to some degree is in their ham-handedness.

Yes, TOS was definitely "woke" in its time, but they displayed such issues as problems solved within the Federation offhandedly, just part of the background. It was presented deftly. Take, for example, Captain Pike's specific observation in the pilot that he was not accustomed to women on the bridge. That was ham-handed. By the series, the writing had already improved to avoid grossly pointing out, "See what we did!" Another series that does it well The Expanse.

Discovery doesn't just display it as part of the story, they virtue signal with obvious ostentatiousness as clumsily as the TOS pilot. Sometimes they will have crewmembers explicitly discuss things that should be utterly below notice, such as discussions they had about homosexuals on the crew and nonbinary pronouns. Seriously? They still chastise each other about such things?

And then there was the Discovery crewman in the hand-powered wheelchair. Seriously? The intent was to be inclusive, but if I were wheelchair bound viewer, I'd be pizzed that they showed me someone in the future still pulling himself through the halls by hand. Heck, they had a crewman who was full cyborg...why can't the disabled guy at least get Iron Man legs?

Too often, "nuTrek" is just too clearly virtue signaling with "look at what we did!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV