Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM

32,154 posts, read 27,393,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
True, but it was also a different time back then. Every cartoon showed people smoking cigarettes or cigars. It wasn't something people really read into like that, and it wasn't considered inappropriate. What I meant was I'm happy it isn't going to be a kids show. It'll probably be more adult themed like that Muppet show that ABC put out a few years ago. Ex: Kermit and Fozzy go to a bar after work and talk about how pumpkin beer shouldn't be considered beer, episode where they all come into work hung over after a giant office party, etc.
At least one Looney Tunes character (Slow Poke Rodriguez) also smoked weed! That or the people at Warner Bros. didn't know the English translation to "La Cuchracha" (highly unlikely)

"Ya no puede caminar

Porque no tiene

porque le falta

Marihuana que fumar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGNocUEezo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,040,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Mr. Jackie Gleason knew the Flintstones was based upon the Honeymooners, but always refused any suggestion of taking legal action. While within his rights, and most surely would have won any infringement case brought his reasoning was simple; Jackie Gleason said he didn't want to be responsible for taking the Flintstones away from children.

The guy was a class act in so many ways, and the above just added further proof.

Another tidbit: the voice over actors were offered a choice of flat scale fees for their work, or a lower sum plus a percent of the action. They all declined because who thought the Flintstones would still be running decades later, and all over the world. They were proven wrong sadly, and just think of the money left on the table to themselves and now their estates.

To another post, yes, the Flintstones much like Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes (early) cartoons were part of a long line of such things originally geared towards adults. Yes, children did watch such cartoons and enjoyed, but large parts of the broad humor was directed clearly towards adults.

The Flintstones had "guest starts" such as "Ann Margrock" (Ann Margaret), Samantha Stevens (Bewitched), "Stoney Curtis" Tony Curtis), "Gary Granite" (Cary Grant), and others.

Of course children then may have been aware of those actors, but you wouldn't ordinarily cast them in programming aimed at kids.

Mel Blanc's voice for Barney Rubble was a variation of one he used for Cecil Turtle in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cymQHdMEUrQ
Ok, now that makes sense. I always thought her last name was Gotrocks, for obvious reasons.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Ok, now that makes sense. I always thought her last name was Gotrocks, for obvious reasons.
J.L. Gotrocks was some "millionaire" or business owner on the Flintstones. Back then just having a few million was something. Today it barely rates a mention. *LOL* I mean you can't buy a house in some parts of USA for under one million.

Was kind of cheesy by today's standards, but Ann Margaret did provide the singing and other voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCiS2FpmIc

Honorable mention, Samantha Stephens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7yulQkc_Y

As to why famous actors and actresses would allow themselves to be portrayed in animation form, this even for a widely successful series like the Flintstones, answer was simple. Screen Gems was behind a ton of televison of 1960's and 1970's such as Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Father Knows Best, and many more.

Depending upon terms of their contracts Screen Gems had various control over actors and actresses from their film/television division. This besides actors were getting paid for only doing voice over work, which is less strenuous I imagine than live acting.

Warner Bros. did this for ages, right up until the studio system was dismantled. Watch Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes cartoons and you'll find references and or depictions of various WB stars such as Betty Davis, Carmen Miranda, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre and others.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 07-21-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Always felt animation for Hanna-Barbera left much to be desired, especially when it came to the female form.

Now Tex Avery and his crew were another matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcJ7gvJP0Q

Old 07-22-2019, 04:13 AM

33,480 posts, read 12,748,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I can live without Alan Reed (voice of Fred) and Jean Vander Pyl (voice of Wilma) and even Mel Blanc (voice of Barney) as there have been iterations of the Flintstones without them however Harvey Korman will always be The Great Gazoo and without him they just need to forget the character
She was the best friend of the mother of a housemate/roommate I had in the 80s. I had dinner at their house a number of times. I thought she was a very nice lady.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:05 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,333,809 times
Quote:
At least one Looney Tunes character (Slow Poke Rodriguez) also smoked weed! That or the people at Warner Bros. didn't know the English translation to "La Cuchracha" (highly unlikely)

"Ya no puede caminar

Porque no tiene

porque le falta

Marihuana que fumar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGNocUEezo

LMAO! Growing up my sister always said this! guess she wasn't wrong!

Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 PM

8,833 posts, read 5,165,399 times
Can`t be worse then any of the other crap that`s on.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:40 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,824,539 times
Excited to hear The Flintstones is coming back on! The schedule says September 30 at 6 p.m. on MeTV

Old 08-25-2019, 03:02 PM

22,991 posts, read 28,458,487 times
Quote:
Always felt animation for Hanna-Barbera left much to be desired, especially when it came to the female form.

Now Tex Avery and his crew were another matter
Hanna Barbera cartoons were for kids. Solely and exclusively.

Tex Avery and a lot of the WB cartoons, while certainly intended for kids, had a lot of humor and sophistication that only adults can get.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,648,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Excited to hear The Flintstones is coming back on! The schedule says September 30 at 6 p.m. on MeTV
The problem with that is a lot of the local networks that show MeTV on their "antenna channel" don't show all the MeTV shows. In the afternoon I'd love to watch some of the westerns they show (Bonanza, The Rifleman) but instead we have to put up with Jerry Springer. And instead of MASH at 6, they show the news.

I'm glad to see at least the Flintstones are coming back. But I'd like to see more of all the good cartoons we grew up watching. Looney Toons, Pink Panther, Tom and Jerry........ But it's harder to find them anywhere. I'd read somewhere they aren't being shown as much because of "all the violence between the cartoon characters". I grew up watching Jerry hitting Tom so hard with a shovel an imprint of his face showed up. But I never had the faintest hint of trying to hit my brother with a shovel to see if it happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV