Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,789 times

Advertisements

Back in the late 80's and early 90's when comedy clubs were doing huge business in the US there were several stand up comedy tv shows on the air.
Of course, once Comedy Central came along they started airing a lot as well.
But you don't often see them nowadays. I think Comedy Central has one now (This week at the Cellar) and AXS used to have Live At Gotham (not sure if they still have that or not because I don't have AXS sub anymore)

But back then we watched A&E's Evening at the Improv every weeknight at 8pm.
And then on Sunday's there was Comic Strip Live.
Those are the only 2 that I can think of right now, but I believe there were more. Does anyone remember any others?

A lot of these shows were cool because it was the first time I got to see people like Adam Sandler, Larry Miller, Jeff Foxworthy, Norm Macdonald, etc.
Anyone else miss these shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I had forgotten about them. I enjoyed them sometimes.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I know Rosie O'Donnell hosted a VH1 series called Stand-Up Spotlight.

Miss any of that? No.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
I have a hard relationship with stand-up. I mostly just don’t find it all that funny.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
I don`t enjoy stand-up comedy at all.....yet I love Seinfield, in the TV show.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:50 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,938 times
I have always loved stand up comedy. Growing up, I would watch as many stand ups on Comedy Central as I could. I also remember Def Comedy Jam, and BET's Comic View with Bruce Bruce, and Reynaldo Rey. A lot of comedians have gravitated towards Netflix to host their stand up specials for the past 5 years now. Netflix gives them more creative control and more bang for their buck, versus cable and HBO.

Russell Peters has a great relationship with Netflix, and I love his specials. I've been watching him since 2006. Gabriel Iglesias has also partnered with Netflix for most of his stand up specials, and even has his own sitcom on there as well. Streaming services are probably going to be the future for a lot of comedians, especially well established ones who have enough cash to partner up with Netflix.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
I have always loved stand up comedy. Growing up, I would watch as many stand ups on Comedy Central as I could. I also remember Def Comedy Jam, and BET's Comic View with Bruce Bruce, and Reynaldo Rey. A lot of comedians have gravitated towards Netflix to host their stand up specials for the past 5 years now. Netflix gives them more creative control and more bang for their buck, versus cable and HBO.

Russell Peters has a great relationship with Netflix, and I love his specials. I've been watching him since 2006. Gabriel Iglesias has also partnered with Netflix for most of his stand up specials, and even has his own sitcom on there as well. Streaming services are probably going to be the future for a lot of comedians, especially well established ones who have enough cash to partner up with Netflix.

Yes! Netflix is great for stand up. They even have series of shows like "Comedians Around The World" and "The Line-up" that aren't the same style of the shows that I'm talking about, but they do give short (20-30 minute) one-person specials to comics who aren't necessarily big names. Kinda reminiscent of how HBO used to do their 1/2 hour specials.

Another really good stand up on Netflix is Jo Koy. That dude is a hustler. He actually funded his own Netflix special.
Amazon Prime is producing their first ever stand up special with Jim Gaffigan on August 16. With Amazon getting into the game it kinda reminds me of the 90's where both HBO (Netflix) and Showtime (Amazon Prime) would each try to produce the better stand up specials.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Dana Gould was pretty funny.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 PM

89 posts, read 148,843 times
Stand up Stand up and Evening at the Improv were my faves. Bring the funny was erratic and the best did NOT win.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Laugh in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV