Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,529,184 times

Advertisements

I consider Dave Chappelle one of, if not the best stand up comedian of all time. His stand up Killin them softly reigns supreme. Now, his last couple of Netflix specials have been a little lazy IMO. Granted, the man is 40 something years old, and just like any artists, his craft needs to evolve. But that’s my problem with his specials; it feels like the man is 60 and he is just so preoccupied with political correctness. I get it, political correctness is the number 1 enemy of comedy, but for God’s sake give it a rest. Is like every bit on this stand up was about letting his audience know how absurd everything is, from the me too movement to the LGBTQ community, to whatever political subject is the headline of the day. One of the jokes about LGBTQ seemed so long and so concern with not offending, that by the end I had to go back a couple of times to catch the punchline. Then after the joke, is another apology/justification for the joke. Just make the damn joke and deliver the goddamn punchline!

It appears that some people got offended; well surprise surprise! Im not sure why they got offended because this stand up felt yo me like a Real Time with Bill Maher intro that went on for too long. Having said that, I got offended! I got offended that dave Chappelle underestimate his audience and thinks that he needs to mKe us understand that this extreme political correctness world we live in is stupid. Really? He doesn’t think we know? The mere fact that we turn to him should give it away. Hopefully he stops caring and stops preaching, and just goes back to comedy full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,088,309 times
City Data folks are discussing it here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/30...s-netflix.html

Old 09-07-2019, 06:39 PM

10,564 posts, read 4,086,416 times
I was hearing all these great things about this from other social media sites, so decided to give it a shot (mind you, I'm not a big fan of stand up comedy to begin with, most of it is shock and awe over actual substance) but my God, 15 minutes in, he is joking about how he would love to have been molested by Michael Jackson if he was a kid, and how he would have no problems getting it on with a young McCullay Culkin, it was just disgusting, and not funny at all. And I will question anybody who thinks this is OK.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM

1,161 posts, read 436,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was hearing all these great things about this from other social media sites, so decided to give it a shot (mind you, I'm not a big fan of stand up comedy to begin with, most of it is shock and awe over actual substance) but my God, 15 minutes in, he is joking about how he would love to have been molested by Michael Jackson if he was a kid, and how he would have no problems getting it on with a young McCullay Culkin, it was just disgusting, and not funny at all. And I will question anybody who thinks this is OK.
When put in context the COMEDIAN made a JOKE about how statistically half of the people in the audience were molested as kids. And if you had to go through that, the COMEDIAN JOKED, it would be better if it was the King of Pop than your Uncle. Obviously, it's a joke.

Now, don't get me wrong. You not finding that funny is totally okay (of course) but "questioning" someone that does is a waste of your time and it's pretty judgey on your part. Many people find humor as a way to deal with serious issues. I was molested as a kid and I did find this bit to be very funny. It brings me comfort to be able to laugh at tragic things because my life has to go on one way or another and it's a lot easier to do it with humor than without it for me.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM

12,851 posts, read 874,621 times
I'm not offended by him, I just don't think he's funny. I tried to watch him over the years, but to me he's not funny or clever.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM

17,658 posts, read 15,358,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I'm not offended by him, I just don't think he's funny. I tried to watch him over the years, but to me he's not funny or clever.

He's very hit and miss for me. I mean, alot of the racial stuff he's done in the past is... Very sharp and witty. that whole Clayton Bigsby thing he did is great. The Racial Draft.. That was quite funny.

I didn't think his latest standup special was any better or worse than 'normal'.. Any comic show things will hit and some will miss. I did think the Jussie stuff was pretty funny. I get that the Michael Jackson stuff was a comedian doing jokes.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,615,072 times
The only part I laughed was when he discussed R Kelly. The person that asked him to be in the R Kelly documentary, which he said no thanks. Then it comes out 2 years later and he tells the audience why he turned it down and it was because he didn't know him and never met him. LOL.. But it was strange why the person asking different celebs to appear in the documentary when you don't know the person.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 AM

37,713 posts, read 46,130,512 times
I thought it was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV