Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM

1,161 posts, read 435,168 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading the book I'm Dying Up Here that this Dramedy was based on.

The show got cancelled before a 3rd season could be produced, which is a real shame as it was a truly great show.

For those that didn't watch it, I'm Dying Up Here was co-produced by Jim Carrey and it was based on the book that was written about The Comedy Store in Los Angeles. While the book told specific stories about the real comics that made their name at The Store, the show was a fictionalized version. For example, two of the characters moved from Boston and lived in one of the comic's closet in the series. In reality, Jim Carrey moved from Canada and lived in a closet at the house that was owned by Shore right behind the Store.

Brad Garrett had a PHENOMENAL turn in the second season as veteran comic Roy Martin. And all in all the show was just a great look at the 70's comedy scene in LA.
It's criminal that they only got two seasons.

Any other fans of this show? Or for that matter the book or even The Comedy Store itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I liked the show too. I was disappointed when they canceled it. But the whole thing about a comic has to feel the pain and all of the characters were such degenerates, it became a little repetitive.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:27 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
I liked it. I wasnt aware it was cancelled. One less good show to watch.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:38 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
I really liked this show but refused to get Showtime. I wasn't aware it was canceled. Real shame.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I liked the show, recommended it to a couple friends. I would have liked to see how the death of Ron Slack (?) would have been handled.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I really liked this show but refused to get Showtime. I wasn't aware it was canceled. Real shame.
Is the show streamed somewhere, that you are aware of? I'd like to re-watch the series but don't have Showtime and I'm not planning on subscribing again until next year when the new mini-docu-series on The Comedy Store premiers. ( https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...422-story.html )

So at that point, I'll watch the show on Showtime on Demand, but if it's streaming somewhere I'd love to re-watch it.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I liked the show, recommended it to a couple friends. I would have liked to see how the death of Ron Slack (?) would have been handled.

Same. I'd also be interested to see if they'd tell a story similar to that of Steve Lubetkin, who was distraught after the Comedy Store strike (which they were covering in the 2nd season) came to an end and he wasn't getting bookings. He jumped off the roof of the hotel next door, seemingly trying to land on top of the club itself, and his suicide note read 'My name is Steve Lubetkin, I used to work at the Comedy Store"

There was a LOT that the series could have dealt with and I can't wait for the docu-series.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Have Showtime but didn’t watch this series

Does anyone think it is strange that a fiction series about this topic would be cancelled when they are gearing up for a docu series about the same topic?
Why would they want to do that when a series couldn’t make it?
Seems so counter intuitive???
Could it be the series was cancelled just so it wouldn’t compete with the docuseries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV