Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Silver Bullet is one of my favorite's if it shows up on cable.
I love Silver Bullet. Anne of Green Gables ... Gary Busey ... Corey Haim in a hot-rod wheelchair ... Reverend Werewolf. What's not to love?

Quote:
I watched the first episode of the Sean Bean Frankenstein Chronicles, it was ok.
I liked the first season a lot. The second season failed to hold my attention.

Quote:
Any recommendations?
Light-hearted horror fair:

GREMLINS (though you might want to save this one for Christmas)
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (still the best werewolf movie ever made)
GHOSTBUSTERS
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
YOUNG FRANKSTEIN
EIGHT-LEGGED FREAKS (I apologize to no one for loving this movie)
TREMORS
FRIGHT NIGHT (the original with Roddy McDowell)

Genuinely great scary movies:

THE EXORCIST
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE WICKER MAN (the original Hammer flick)
THE SIXTH SENSE
CAT PEOPLE (the 1981 remake)
THE HOWLING (the second-best werewolf movie ever made)
HALLOWEEN
PSYCHO
THE HAUNTING (original 1960s version)
CARRIE
THE DEAD ZONE
STORM OF THE CENTURY (mini-series)
THE CONJURING (the sequels are mostly dreck, but this is a good movie)
THE MIST
ALIEN

I almost recommended THE SHINING. It is indeed a masterpiece of film-making, if a rather flat and uninteresting story. But you know what? As far as scares, I think Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT is actually a far more horrifying and disturbing movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Yes!! Have been watching whatever is playing and loving every HORRIBLE moment of them all!!! I hate it when October ends.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
One my favourites is The Changeling. Not the to be confused with the non-horror movie of the same name.

It is eerie, and doesn't leave you wondering. It has an ending that makes sense, unlike a lot of horror flicks where you are left wondering.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/changeling

Old 10-17-2019, 03:24 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love Silver Bullet. Anne of Green Gables ... Gary Busey ... Corey Haim in a hot-rod wheelchair ... Reverend Werewolf. What's not to love?

I liked the first season a lot. The second season failed to hold my attention.

Light-hearted horror fair:

GREMLINS (though you might want to save this one for Christmas)
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (still the best werewolf movie ever made)
GHOSTBUSTERS
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
YOUNG FRANKSTEIN
EIGHT-LEGGED FREAKS (I apologize to no one for loving this movie)
TREMORS
FRIGHT NIGHT (the original with Roddy McDowell)

Genuinely great scary movies:

THE EXORCIST
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE WICKER MAN (the original Hammer flick)
THE SIXTH SENSE
CAT PEOPLE (the 1981 remake)
THE HOWLING (the second-best werewolf movie ever made)
HALLOWEEN
PSYCHO
THE HAUNTING (original 1960s version)
CARRIE
THE DEAD ZONE
STORM OF THE CENTURY (mini-series)
THE CONJURING (the sequels are mostly dreck, but this is a good movie)
THE MIST
ALIEN

I almost recommended THE SHINING. It is indeed a masterpiece of film-making, if a rather flat and uninteresting story. But you know what? As far as scares, I think Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT is actually a far more horrifying and disturbing movie.
You’ve named just about ALL of my favorite movies.

I’ll add (originals, not sequels or remakes):

The Ring
Amityville Horror
The Thing (actually the remake with Kurt Russell)
The Howling
Cujo
Pet Sematary
Christine

Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
Quote:
Oh boy, not particularly religious but the movies like the Exorcist and the Omen, just can't do. houses with evil spirits, ghosts...live alone, nope. I'd rather watch a teen slasher movie though they arent my favorite I guess I feel like I'd have a chance with a psycopathic human vs. some evil spirit. Maybe thats why I like vampire and werewolf movies, pretty sure they aren't real.

I don't understand why someone hasn't come out with a Hammer Films box set. I have a few on vhs, but now no vhs player. They really are the best of the not really scary classic B movies.
Funny because I can watch the older movies now, but not the new ghost stories. What they do now with the CGI and the demons and ghosts that contort themselves all kinds of ways. I can’t watch those.

There was one movie, can’t remember the name of it, where the ghost bent himself to where it was crawling like a spider and was chasing someone. The preview freaked me out.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:34 PM

12,775 posts, read 14,987,827 times
(Posted already, but) I think that The Grudge movies are the creepiest movies out there. I sure couldn't watch them if I lived alone.

Also been watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. (I could watch those if I lived alone.)

Old 10-17-2019, 05:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
I've always preferred horror movies (and thrillers). I even write horror & thriller screenplays (one is in production, and my agent is networking to sell the rest). I do watch more horror this time of year than at any other, unless I'm doing research on a new screenplay.

I like regular horror movies - no comedy should be involved, as I hate comedies - though exorcism & possession stories are my favorites, along with haunted houses, and psychopathic killers. It doesn't bother me to be alone as I watch a horror movie.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 PM

4,058 posts, read 2,137,280 times
I have something unusual that I'm so excited about. It's a 1911 Italian silent movie--L'Inferno---based on Dante's Inferno--a campy take on hell. It's set to a cello score. Available on YouTube---that's about as scary as I want to get:

https://youtu.be/kxcrKuQPzqI

Old 10-17-2019, 05:47 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Although I've watched it countless times, I still find the original "Night of the Living Dead" to be pretty creepy. The grainy, high-contrast, black&white photography, combined with the almost constant voice-over of the radio and TV news announcers gives it a documentary feel, as though it was really happening and a guy with a camera just happened to be there to record it.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I know Mr C will most likely watch. He's a big fan of those scary types with pin head.
Me, I like the cutesy ones that start very early in the evening, ala Charlie Brown, The Munsters (old tv show). I've watched movies like the ones with Jamie Lee Curtis, Dracula and Frankenstein. Not sure what's on this year that I might watch TBD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV