Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of those
Star Trek Discovery Season 1 1 16.67%
Star Trek Discover Season 2 1 16.67%
Star Trek Discovery Season 3 1 16.67%
Star Trek Lower Decks 0 0%
Star Trek Picard 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 12:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 876,962 times

Advertisements

There are currently 3 ongoing Star Trek series. Strange New Worlds is coming in the near future. What's you favorite of those. I understand there is Short Treks and After Treks, but I'm not sure if it counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 12:34 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Haven't watched LOWER DECKS.

Have tried watching DISCOVERY a few times. Writing is so bad that I never made it past the first few episodes.

I love PICARD. It's Star Trek for adults. I even like space Legolas.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:51 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Haven't watched LOWER DECKS.

Have tried watching DISCOVERY a few times. Writing is so bad that I never made it past the first few episodes.

I love PICARD. It's Star Trek for adults. I even like space Legolas.
Is Picard really that good? I should check it out then. I was on the fence, because I was under the impression that initial feedback wasn’t favorable.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:08 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Is Picard really that good? I should check it out then. I was on the fence, because I was under the impression that initial feedback wasn’t favorable.
I love it, but it is VERY different than any Star Trek show of the past. Maybe that's why it appeals to me?

What I loved about it:

It's different. It isn't another Starfleet exploration/adventure show. Starfleet is still part of the story, but it isn't the primary focus.

The scope is amazing. With all previous iterations of Star Trek, we spent most of every episode on the ship or the space station, with occasional forays down to planets, all of which looked liked either bad movie sets or the hills outside of L.A. But in Picard we get to see the cosmos beyond the starship or the space station. We get to see how billions of people live their daily lives, where they live, where they work. And CBS really spared no expense. It looks gorgeous. It is big budget movie release quality.

Remember how THE NEXT GENERATION took the cardboard "stock villains" the Klingons and developed them into something really cool? PICARD does the same thing with the Romulans.

The characters are different and varied. Gone are the squeaky clean lieutenants and ensigns. Picard takes place mostly amongst rogues. So much fun.

The actors are truly amazing. Not a weak link in the cast.

Season 1 is one story. It ditches the episodic "one adventure a week" format and tells an ongoing story. It's much more like modern TV shows like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos in that regard. Season 1 is one storyline with a beginning, middle, and end.

The writing is just about flawless. This is where DISCOVERY lost me, because the writing was so bad. Characters doing the explainy dialogue to the audience. Villains monologuing. Everyone wearing their identity on their sleeve. None of the in PICARD. They took Show Don't Tell to heart, and the writers understand that the best dialogue is all subtext.

The violence hurts. Action scenes aren't just thrown in for excitement. When a character dies, it matters. You feel it.

I don't care if it's a little silly. Space Legolas is awesome.

What I didn't love about it:

PICARD still occasionally falls into the Star Trek techno babble solution. They solve too many problems with a technical gizmo, and the level of tech truly does border on magic in a few scenes.

Every now and then, the writers throw in some really unnecessary profanity. Hey, I watch The Sopranos. My boss uses F-bombs like college professors use commas. I don't mind profanity. But in PICARD it sticks out. Rather than saying, "Star Trek for adults!" it comes across more like, "And here is this scene's anachronism!"

Old 01-21-2021, 12:02 PM

6,371 posts, read 2,913,730 times
I saw Discovery seasons 1 and 2. I didn't think much of them. The end of season one was ridiculous.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:26 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,256,347 times
Never got past discovery episode 2 or 3. Between the writing and the acting and the actors, never went back.

Picard I liked but was very hesitant to start watching expecting the same as discovery. Pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV