Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:50 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Do you remember a show called "Breaker High", starring Ryan Gosling?!
It was about these kids that went to high school on a cruise ship. There was a time in the 90s I think these shows came on around the same time slot, and then throw some "California Dreams" in there and we're good to go!
No. But I remember an episode or two from "Beverly Hills, 90210" set on a cruise ship, where the kids sailed as part of their school's study program. What can I say: rich high school kids literally go places. (Or maybe it was "Sweet Valley High", one of its more serious episodes?) There was a guy offering a girl vodka from a flask he carried. He probably smuggled it onboard similar to how real-life cruise passengers do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 08:58 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anyone remember 'Our House'?

I loved that show.

For some reason, I can't post a link, but another show from a similar, somewhat later time period was "Life Goes On." It starred Patti Lupone and Kelli Martin among others and was about a family who had a son/brother with Down Syndrome. Later seasons included a storyline that dealt with the AIDS crisis. Speaking of Kelli Martin, she also starred in a T.V. series adaptation of the novel, "Christie" that I also loved.

What ever happened to "family shows" like these?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:10 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I loved that show.

For some reason, I can't post a link, but another show from a similar, somewhat later time period was "Life Goes On." It starred Patti Lupone and Kelli Martin among others and was about a family who had a son/brother with Down Syndrome. Later seasons included a storyline that dealt with the AIDS crisis. Speaking of Kelli Martin, she also starred in a T.V. series adaptation of the novel, "Christie" that I also loved.

What ever happened to "family shows" like these?

Life Goes On - Intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW_X7mAv5F0

The nostalgia is killing me, I really miss all this old family friendly wholesome goodness.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Life Goes On - Intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW_X7mAv5F0

The nostalgia is killing me, I really miss all this old family friendly wholesome goodness.
Thanks for the posting the link!

I sometimes do, too. I was a teenaged girl during the period when those shows were originally on the air (and watched a lot of the 'seventies shows in syndication from late childhood on), so there's a huge nostalgia factor at play there as well as some of those shows like "Life Goes On" were just darn good.

My partner mildly makes fun of me for "comfort watching" certain shows like "Highway to Heaven" when he sees them on my Netflix queue, but I find watching shows like that to be oddly soothing.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Degrassi High - 1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Z6mYZ26yc

A Canadian series that aired on PBS. I grew up without cable tv, lol.
Loved this show! My daughter and I watched it regularly. She was younger but we both enjoyed it.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM

981 posts, read 900,142 times
Quote:
Youtube is a goldmine!

Here's a playlist on youtube with full episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Fp91HKHgWvBbZl

OMG I just watched the entire 'I think I am having a baby'. Jennifer Jason Leigh, Helen Hunt, actually good acting. I am going to watch another right now, I think the one where Scott Baio is the stoner. Pure gold! Thx for posting!

Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 PM

Unless you are a '60's kid, you may not remember these. I loved them all, had a school-girl crush on an actor in every one!

Occasional Wife starred Michael Callan and Patricia Hardy (I think they became an item during this show in real life).

Judd for the Defense starred Carl Betz (Donna Reed's husband in the old Donna Reed Show).

The Guns of Will Sonnet starred Walter Brennan and Dak Rambo (he ended up "coming out" in real life, my heart broke).

The '60's had many actors named Michael who were very attractive. I crushed on them all.

Michael Ontkean (The Rookies, I believe)
Michael Callan (see above)
Michael Lembeck (was Julie's husband on One Day at a Time)

Old 04-20-2021, 09:39 PM

Just thought of another one that did not last long at all. Starred Dweezil Zappa and his sister, Moon Unit Zappa. The name of the show was "Normal Life" and it ran from March 21 to July 18, 1990. I had to look this one up. He was very much "eye candy" during this show.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:56 PM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
What about Bob?

"Baby Bob"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumIJZkNJwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgSiT2zVOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLGBtuREUM

Old 04-20-2021, 10:11 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
OMG I just watched the entire 'I think I am having a baby'. Jennifer Jason Leigh, Helen Hunt, actually good acting. I am going to watch another right now, I think the one where Scott Baio is the stoner. Pure gold! Thx for posting!
Lol, I saw that Scott Baio stoner episode there on the list too, I already know I'm gonna get hooked on these shows in the next few weeks lol.

Last summer during lockdown, I kept finding all these old made for tv movies from the 70s and 80s, and they're sooooo good! Quality content & great acting. We totally took television for granted.. lol, but I'm so grateful for youtube.

Here's a link to some of those made for tv movies, there are ~250 on that playlist, enjoy! I know I will!

NBC Sunday/Monday Night At The Movies:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...96EAaBom-VZCr_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV