Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 02:22 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,201,036 times

Advertisements

Can't believe this show had been on 7 years already. Doesn't feel like it was on for that long. Good episodes. I like how it closed out with an acoustic version of the main theme, just like BBT did. If you didn't read it, check out the Chuck Lorre card after the credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 08:21 AM

9,931 posts, read 7,293,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Can't believe this show had been on 7 years already. Doesn't feel like it was on for that long. Good episodes. I like how it closed out with an acoustic version of the main theme, just like BBT did. If you didn't read it, check out the Chuck Lorre card after the credits.
I noticed the acoustic version of “Mighty Little Man” (by Steve Burns of Blues Clues) throughout the last montage but the show ended on “Walk of Life” by Dire Straits.”

Old 05-18-2024, 08:09 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It was a very well done, both the penultimate and final episodes.
It's probably one of the best series finales ever.
Agreed! I finally watched the finale last night and boy did I shed quite a few tears. I think the point about showing Sheldon's lack of humanity was very interesting, and how a little glimmer of light was shown with the comparison between Sheldon's parents and his role with his own children. It seems that very very slowly Sheldon can learn to be more insightful and make changes.

They definitely should bring back most of the characters from Young Sheldon as at least cameos in the spinoff. I don't see how it would survive without that. The characters in Young Sheldon were very well developed, well acted and much loved. There is absolutely no reason not to bring them back.

I was reflecting on the writers' amazing ability to write so sensitively and insightfully in various ways for the finale. I'll probably watch it again.

Old 05-18-2024, 09:06 PM

22,957 posts, read 28,386,650 times
Being on the spectrum — as Sheldon very obviously is — is not a lack of humanity. People on the spectrum have all the same emotions. They just process them differently. Sheldon was grieving just as much as everyone else. He just deals with it differently.

All you Kirks and Scottys need to realize that Spock was just as human.

Old 05-18-2024, 09:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 1,625,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Being on the spectrum — as Sheldon very obviously is — is not a lack of humanity. People on the spectrum have all the same emotions. They just process them differently. Sheldon was grieving just as much as everyone else. He just deals with it differently.

Agree. I happened to see the last part of the episode by flipping channels. Wow the father died, that was a shock. As for Sheldon we might see a delayed emotional reaction later. Or is this show over and that was the final episode?

Old 05-18-2024, 09:48 PM

Mark S. Your point is taken... to clarify, Sheldon doesn't lack humanity per se, though it does come across that way, and people can be and/or are, affected by that. It's important to acknowledge that as well.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:36 AM

43,868 posts, read 44,636,592 times
Quote:
Agreed!

Old 05-19-2024, 07:03 AM

13,416 posts, read 28,801,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Agreed! I finally watched the finale last night and boy did I shed quite a few tears. I think the point about showing Sheldon's lack of humanity was very interesting, and how a little glimmer of light was shown with the comparison between Sheldon's parents and his role with his own children. It seems that very very slowly Sheldon can learn to be more insightful and make changes.

They definitely should bring back most of the characters from Young Sheldon as at least cameos in the spinoff. I don't see how it would survive without that. The characters in Young Sheldon were very well developed, well acted and much loved. There is absolutely no reason not to bring them back.

I was reflecting on the writers' amazing ability to write so sensitively and insightfully in various ways for the finale. I'll probably watch it again.
Totally agree! Just don't think there is enough substance there to sustain it. We will have to see, if anyone can pull it off it's Chuck Lorre, he kept Two and a Half Men alive for 4 years after Charlie left

Old 05-19-2024, 09:41 AM

51,077 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Quote:

I understand what you're saying. As a teacher and principal I have worked with many kids on the spectrum. I know it's not their fault, but that's why I think it is a lack of humanity. Let's take Eric. Brilliant at mathematics. But throughout his school years how many friends did he have? No matter how loosely you want to define the term "friend", he had NONE. ZERO. How many friends do you think you make if when any person (young or old, boy or girl, friendly or unfriendly),gets within a yard of you, you yell "booger alert", pick your nose, and then chase them to apply the booger to the other person's face. Is that what you call humanity? Not a single human friend throughout K-12. It doesn't matter that it is not his fault. It is simply not "humanity".

One definition of humanity is: "It's also a word for the qualities that make us human, such as the ability to love and have compassion, be creative, and not be a robot or alien."

Sheldon is not an extreme case of being on the spectrum. He does develop relationships, skewed as they may be. He has friends (at least in adulthood), he gets married, he has children.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:56 PM

Yes, and Sheldon even had that friend Pham or Tran (I forget the name) such as it was, while he was in college. I thought that dialogue at the end when Amy Farrah Fowler was debating with him was pretty brilliant. It showed how she's been able to work with him and get him to come around. He actually met his match, which is probably why he fell in love with her and decided to continue a relationship with her. Not many people are able or willing to do what she did with someone like Sheldon.

Back in high school I met a kid at summer camp who was like Sheldon. He was absolutely brilliant. He looked down on others and bullied them. Later he became an attorney. Sadly, he was eventually disbarred. Ended up living with his parents In his 40s or 50s (not sure). He never married. Since I know that he would be in his 70s now, I wonder whatever happened to him. I hope that he is all right, but I do wonder. Had he been born a decade or three later, he might have received the help that many now do receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV